Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

music stops playing and gets stuck on certain tracks

music stops playing and gets stuck on certain tracks

I have two problems with the app on my iphone 5s, the first one is music just stops playing and my phone goes to homescreen. The app doesn't shut down it just kicks me out of it. If i go back in it doesn't even get through one song before doing it again. I restart the app and it still does this. I was having the same problem on my iphone 4s before I upgraded.

Second problem is that certain tracks just won't play. they are not offline tracks, but I am connected to wifi and other non-synced tracks will play just fine. It seems totally random on which tracks will play and which ones won't. when I select the song, it doesn't even go to 0 seconds on the song time, just -:--

I love spotify, which is why I pay for premium, but after months of this I am getting so sick of paying for something that doesn't work!

8 Replies

Hello! I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with the app.

I'm using the iPhone 4S and I'm not experiencing any issues. Are there any updates available for the Spotify app on the App Store? Also, are you running the latest version of iOS? You can check that by going to Settings > General > Software Update.

If this is not the problem, try to restart your iPhone by holding the Power and Home buttons together until you see the Apple logo.

If that's still not the problem, try to clean reinstall the app with these steps:
- Find Spotify on your Home Screen and hold its icon until all icons are shaking;
- Tap the small "X" and delete the app;
- Restart your iPhone by holding down the Power and Home buttons until you see the Apple logo;
- Download the app from the App Store again.

Let me know if this solves your problem or if it persists.

deleting the app and reinstalling helped, but didn't completely fix the problem. The app still stops playing randomly.

Also noticed that now my phone no longer syncs with computer. Both are connected to the same wifi but my phone won't show up under devices on spotify on laptop.

Pertaining your issue, that seems like it shouldn't happen given what you’ve described (I've tried on my end and it works perfectly fine), I guess your music cache is corrupted, kindly do a clean reinstallation following the steps below:

Click into your Spotify App -> Logout from Spotify (Spotify app Settings -> Logout) -> [If you are on premium and have songs that are on available offline, click here: https://www.spotify.com/sg-en/account/offline-devices/ and remove all devices -> Go to iPhone Settings, General, Usage and Delete the app -> Go to App Store and download the Spotify app again.

Also clear off Safari’s Cache under iPhone/iPad Settings > Safari and Clear all of the caches.

You should have min 1GB of free space for streaming and if you need to sync playlists, the rough estimate would be 100 songs to 1.4GB.

Furthermore, you will see an icon spinning when syncing and those in a grey download icon beside the track name means its pending sync, and those which are successfully synced will be turned green.

Meet Jeremy! | Day Entrepreneur, Night, Music Fanatic
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

Followed those instructions exactly. The app is still "closing" on me. Not totally shutting down just kicking me out and then when I double click the home button to show the running apps, it still shows as running. But when I select it to go back in, it doesn't take me back to where I was it loads like it was shut down completely and opening all over again. So weird!

Do you have enough free space on your device, at least 1GB? Under (iPhone/iPad Settings > General > Usage)
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

yep... see why I'm frustrated with this app??

It did show up on my computer under devices though, so that's something. 

The reinstall seemed to fix everything but the weird shut down problem.

@amandab18 ok nice, so the devices did show up, the shutdown problem means that you click on Spotify and it plays music for a while and it shuts off totally? (aka Crash?)
I'm here to shuffle!

It will play anywhere from 30 seconds to a couple minutes before stopping and sometimes it's instant like I click on the app it loads and then it closes - but still shows as a running app so it doesn't totally shut down or crash - I have to completely close it and then go back in and then sometimes it will or it do this three or four times before it will work.

Suggested posts