Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Bug? Spotify Doesn't Take Control of Volume Until Playing.

Bug? Spotify Doesn't Take Control of Volume Until Playing.

I have a problem on:

iPhone 5

Spotify 1.6.0.1746.

When Spotify first launches it doesnt take control of the volume until after you have pressed play on a track. 

When I plug my phone in to play music in my car I have spotify on maximum volume. 

If I then close spotify and later re-open it to play through headphones, I will make sure I turn the volume down to quarter so as not to deafen myself with my headphones in.

However as soon as I press play on any track, the volume shoots back up to where it was (full) last time I was using spotify).

My assumption is that when I turned down the volume after launching spotify, I was in fact still adjusting the system volume and not spotify's volume). This theory is backuped up by the fact that it doesnt show as having been on full when i first adjust it as I qould have expected (since i turned spority right up last time i used it).

The result is that I keep forgetting about this quirk when not paying attention thinking I have lowered the volume and hurting my ears by aceidently blasting tunes through my headphones at full volume..... 

5 Replies

This isn't a Spotify issue, its how the iOS system manages playback and notifications volume. When nothing is playing, the volume rocker you control will just change the notifications volume, but once music kicks in, you'll be changing the playback volume.
Meet Jeremy! | Day Entrepreneur, Night, Music Fanatic
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

Yeah I kind of thought that was the case.

It would be good if

a) There were some way for Spotify to capture the system volume as soon as it starts up (like play some peice blank audio) while it is open

b) Spotify would sync it's self the to the system volume

c) There were an option to reset it's volume to the system volume or medium volume on start up

a) There were some way for Spotify to capture the system volume as soon as it starts up (like play some peice blank audio) while it is open
> if spotify on iOS were to do that the battery consumption will be absolutely crazy.
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

Maybe. Buy I just checked it out on my phone and it looks like that would only have to be done once for a very short moment when you first bring spotify into focus for it to capture the volume control.

If I play a song and stop it spotify seems to retain control of the volume while in focus.

1 ms of blank auto playback each time you bring spotify into focus would hardly have a massive impact on battery life.

I think you have a valid point, you might want to add this idea at Spotify's Idea Exchange:

Spotify Idea Exchange:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/idb-p/ideaexchange
I'm here to shuffle!

Suggested posts