Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

A duo subscriber should be able to play music on two devices at the same time

A duo subscriber should be able to play music on two devices at the same time

I am (was) a Duo pass subscriber, having me and my partner's accounts attached. However all my devices are configured with my account, not her's (Sonos speakers, Google minis, Android phone in the car, etc). So when I'm driving in the car playing a podcast from my phone she might turn on the music at home and my streaming stops! I can't start to play anything in my car when she's playing music at home as it shows that I'm "streaming on another device". Or else my phone takes over whatever it is she was playing. I'm really paying extra to be able to use Spotify on multiple (i.e., 2) devices simultaneously, I don't care about whose account is being used. It's not practical to reconfigure different devices to use different accounts; she rarely if ever plays music on her own phone, which is the only device where her account would be logged in.

I've downgraded back to a single Premium account because of this. There's no benefit to having a Duo subscription.

5 Replies

Hey @sauceofchaos,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with the Community!

The Duo plan enables two people who live at the same address to have two separate accounts for a discounted price (instead of paying for two Individual plans). This doesn't mean however, that one account would be able to stream music on two different playback devices. 

Keep in mind that only one Spotify account can be linked to one Alexa or Sonos account. If you wish to play from different accounts, you would have to switch the account on the respective speaker as well. 
By doing this, you'd both be able to use your accounts without interruptions 🙂

Hope this clears things up! 

VasilModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello, I got the same "problem" / wish as @sauceofchaos...so Vasil, excuse me for asking again, but what is the option if I only need/want one account but use it to play (different) music on two different devices at the same time?! Is there a cheaper option for a couple that lives together, other than having 2 separate premium accounts? Cheers for the help, Lisa

Hi @Lisabo,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

Spotify accounts are personal and are not meant to be shared. That's the reason why you can only play on one device at a time. If you wish to have two Premium accounts for you and your partner, we have Premium Duo available, which is a discount plan for 2 people who live together. However, each user has their own account. We don't have a subscription that will allow you to use your account on two devices at the same time. 

Hope this clears things up. If you have any questions or need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Susan_GPModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

There needs to be a plan that allows for concurrent streams...just like every other streaming service. YouTubeTV allows for 3 concurrent streams under the same account. So when my kids are watching cartoons, I can watch something from my phone. My speakers at home are all Google Mini or Google Nest Hub..all of which are signed into my email address. If I am out driving and listening to music on my phone (email address) and someone at home wants to listen to music it kills my feed, despite having an upgraded plan (Duo). Please create a plan option that allows for multiple streams under the same email address.   

I'm having the same issue with duo spotify, why the **bleep** is this still like like in 2024? Mind as wel only have one account because at least I would pay less. 

Suggested posts