Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FaceBook: Why I canceled Spotify

FaceBook: Why I canceled Spotify

Dear Spotify Team,

I started a Premium subscription so that I and my family could stream to mobile devices during a road-trip.  I do not have a FaceBook account, but my wife does. 

When I first started my Spotify account, it was started with just a username.  No FaceBook details.  Then, my wife logs in on her cell phone.  Spotify took it upon itself to link *MY* Spotify account with *HER* FaceBook account.

Now, songs that I'm listening to are being broadcast out to her FaceBook page!  This is completely unacceptable.  I've sorted through every Preference and Option available to me and there is no way to PERMANENTLY REMOVE THE LINK TO THIS FACEBOOK ACCOUNT. (Yes, I found the "Disconnect from FaceBook" button....which only works FOR THIS SESSION.  Re-start Spotify and you're reconnected to FaceBook.)

So, that's why I'm canceling my Spotify Premium.  I guess I'll continue to use this service until the LOUD COMMERCIALS piss me off again and then I'll go back to Pandora.

Provide the option to link to FaceBook all day long...I don't care...but for the love of everything that's good....let me get rid of it too!

12 Replies

FooL42 - That box in Preferences to 'Disconnect from Facebook' does work, the change is permanent. Looking at your 'fool42' account now, there's no connection to Facebook at all.

Once you've disconnected, just log out and in. Make sure you use the 'fool42' username, not an email address. If there is still a Facebook picture appearing, or you see any friends (this really shouldn't happen), it may suggest a few files have been cached. A clean reinstall would fix that.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

I am definitely connected to Facebook, but my Disconnect from Facebook button does not appear. Instead there is a Connect to Facebook button, as though I am not already. 

Strange @fredbw22 when did you disconnect from Facebook? Is your Spotify username "fredbw22"? 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I didn't disconnect from Facebook. I am trying to disconnect. Yes fredbw22 is my Spotify name

Strange, can you just confirm if you log out and back in again using your spotify username "fredbw22" and your password (not your email address), then in the desktop client go to Edit/Spotify > Preferences > Social Network > You can't "Disconnect from Facebook"? 

Peter

That is confirmed. Then I threw out the app on my Mac and reloaded it. Then signed in, signed out & signed in. There is a list of my Facebook friends on Spotify under Follow. But under preferences the Facebook tab reads "Connect to Facebook"

@fredbw22 wrote:
That is confirmed. Then I threw out the app on my Mac and reloaded it. Then signed in, signed out & signed in. There is a list of my Facebook friends on Spotify under Follow. But under preferences the Facebook tab reads "Connect to Facebook"

Going to see if I can get someone to look into this for you.

Peter

I've taken a look at your account and can see it has no connection to Facebook.

Just to check, did you also remove the Library folders mentioned in the next link? Perhaps the information's still cached: https://support.spotify.com/learn-more/faq/#!/article/reinstallation-of-spotify

Please let us know how you get on.

Check out how we're doing: @SpotifyStatus

Did this help? Please click 'Accept as Solution'.

Ok, in a similar situation here, I want to keep spotify but I am getting rid of my facebook, how do I unlink the two?  Under Edit > Preferences there is no options for social media.  Frustrating.

@OmidoStyle wrote:

Ok, in a similar situation here, I want to keep spotify but I am getting rid of my facebook, how do I unlink the two?  Under Edit > Preferences there is no options for social media.  Frustrating.

@OmidoStyle - If you created your Spotify account using Facebook, there is no way to disconnect that account from Facebook I'm afraid. Have a read at this tutorial for more details. 

Peter

I didn't

@fredbw22 wrote:
I didn't

Just had another look at your profile, it is definitely not showing as connected to Facebook. 

Can you try another clean reinstallation of the client, being sure to manually delete any folder specified, it looks like the client might be storing some Facebook data for some reason. 

Peter

Suggested posts