Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Maccabees - Given to the Wild - Removed from Spotify US

Maccabees - Given to the Wild - Removed from Spotify US

This is one of my favorite albums from the past few years, and within the past week it has been removed from Spotify US, where it had been available since release. The album is still available on the US iTunes store. What gives? It seems that the Spotify US catalog is in general contracting, which is extremely frustrating for a loyal and paying customer.

3 Replies

Hi,

Please note that for Spotify to have music on their servers; they require the permissions from the record label. The chances are that the record label have removed the permissions from Spotify, so Spotify can't keep the music anymore. It may just be to fix some metadata (e.g. a spelling mistake). If that's the case, it may well appear very soon. Spotify always try to get music back, so hopefully it will reappear again soon!

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

Anthony, 

I appreciate the response, and I anticipated that the removal had something to do with licensing. What confuses me is that the licensing is almost never revoked once granted, and is typically consistent between the major digital outlets (iTunes, Rdio, Spotify), except for some brand new releases which go on iTunes first. 

I understand that my frustrations should be directed at the labels, and to a lesser extent at Apple, which wants to prevent anyone from using services other than their own. It would just be nice to have some explanation as to why favorite albums disappear and appear from the available catalog, and some expectation of what will be available, when. Without this, paying for Spotify becomes a less attractive proposition (and I have done so since the day it was available in the US). 

Thanks,

Carl

Just checked Rdio US, and Given to the Wild is available there in full. 

Suggested posts