Spotify Family (Q&A)

Solved!
40 people liked this

Spotify Family (Q&A)

Community Manager
Community Manager

Premium for Family

Premium for Family lets you get six separate Premium accounts (you plus up to 5 family members) with one discounted monthly subscription.

You and each of your family (at the same address) you invite will enjoy:

• Unlimited high-quality streaming access to over 30 millions songs
  • Play music without internet connection
  • No ad interruptions
  • Travel abroad with your music

Note: Premium for Family is not eligible for promotions or for payment through Spotify gift cards. It's not possible to subscribe to Premium for Family with iTunes in-app payments.

1. Head to spotify.com/family.
  2. Click UPGRADE.
    Note: If you don't have a Spotify account yet: when you see the login screen, click Sign up. After you create an account, you'll be returned to Premium for Family signup.
  3. Click on the plan and enter your payment details.
  4. Click START MY SPOTIFY PREMIUM.

Congratulations! Not only do you now have a Premium account, you are also the administrator of six Premium accounts, in charge of inviting/removing members to or from Premium for Family.

Invite a member

Only the administrator of the plan is able to invite a member. 

To invite someone to join one of the allotted subaccounts in your plan:

1. Go to your account page.
  2. Click MANAGE.
  3. Click on an available Empty Slot.
  4. Click INVITE MEMBER BY LINK or enter the e-mail of the person you want to invite. ClickSEND INVITE.

Change a member

Only the administrator of the plan can change a member.

1. Go to your account page.
  2. Click MANAGE.
  3. Click on the member you would like to change.
  4. Click CHANGE THIS MEMBER
  5. Click INVITE MEMBER BY LINK or enter the e-mail of the person you want to invite. ClickSEND INVITE.

Accept an invite

If you’ve received an email invitation to join Premium for Family, first of all, congratulations! Secondly, in the email, click ACCEPT INVITATION. Then:

• If you already have a Free or Spotify.com-created Premium account: the “Redeem token” web page will open in your browser with a long redeem token number pre-filled in Token. ClickREDEEM.
  • If you do not have a Spotify account: you will be led to create a Free level account. After doing so, click ACCEPT INVITATION again on the email and the “Redeem token” web page will open in your browser with a long redeem token number pre-filled in Token. Click REDEEM
  • If you have a Premium account created through any other company than Spotify: you will need to contact that company to cancel before signing up to Premium for Family. If your subscription is through iTunes, please see Apple's instructions for cancelling.

How many accounts can I have on the plan?

Premium for Family is for you and up to 5 additional members. That means you can have 6 people in total on the same plan - each enjoying their own Premium account under one bargain price!

How am I charged?

Whether the subaccounts that come with your Premium for Family subscription are in use or not, you’ll be charged the full subscription price every month on the same date you signed up.

What happens if I cancel?

If you cancel, all the accounts on your Premium for Family (including your own), will revert back to the Free level at the end of your current billing cycle.

Note: You can choose to downgrade to standard Premium, meaning all subaccounts will revert to Free except for yours. You will then be charged the standard Premium rate at your next billing date. Just head to your subscription overview and select Switch to Premium.

What are the restrictions on the members I can add to Premium for Family?

To be added to Premium for Family, a person must:

• Reside at the same physical address as you.
  • Be a Free user, or a Premium user who purchased their Premium directly from Spotify (and not, for example, through iTunes or a mobile operator).

Can Premium for Family be used with other plans such as student discounts, or plans joined through a phone company, etc.?

Sorry, no. Any discounts cannot be applied to Premium for Family accounts.

I'm already on a Premium subscription. What happens to my billing when I become a Premium for Family admin user?

When you upgrade your subscription from regular Premium to Premium for Family, any remaining time that you've already paid for will be converted into a Premium for Family subscription, so this can bring your next payment date forward. You can review your renewal date on the subscription page.

Note: If you subscribed through any other company than Spotify, you will need to contact that company to cancel before signing up to Premium for Family. If your subscription is through iTunes, please see Apple's instructions for canceling.

I've been invited to join Premium for Family, and I already have a Premium subscription. How is my billing affected when I join?

When you accept the invite, you're added to Premium for Family when your current billing period runs out. You won't be charged for your account any further - your payments are handled by the plan owner.

However, if your Premium subscription is currently handled by a third party - such as iTunes or your mobile operator - you'll need to contact them to cancel your Premium first.

If you're accepting a Premium for Family invite from the same device it was sent from, please make sure you’re logged in into your account before clicking Accept Invite.

Can I add a member from another country to my Premium for Family?

People in different countries cannot be on the same Premium for Family. They should reside at the same physical address as the owner of the master account.

Did this family plan change recently?

Yes! As of May 24, we made some changes to Spotify Family (and renamed it to Premium for Family). Now, rather than incremental prices for each additional subaccount, you will always have slots for up to five accounts (in addition to your own) that you can assign or reassign to your family members whenever you want. And all under one new price, meaning better value! 

7 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution! 9 people liked this

Re: Spotify Family

Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

@Fomilymom 

From the family help guide:

https://support.spotify.com/learn-more/guides/#!/article/spotify-family

I'm already on a Premium subscription. What happens when I upgrade?

If you're already a Premium user, don't worry! We won’t bill you until the time you’ve paid for has run out, taking into account the increased price. You can review your renewal date on the subscription page.

MattSudaRock Star 24
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
Solution! 2 people liked this

Re: Spotify Family (Q&A)

Spotify
Spotify

Hey there @CapitanBribunny :)

If you upgrade from Premium to Spotify Family, your remaining subscription time will be shared between your subaccounts. So most likely you'll be charged for the Spotify Family rate before the usual renewal/due date. 

Mary

♫ "Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything." ♫ - Plato
Solution! 1 person liked this

Spotify
Spotify

Hey @tomco1984 :)

If your Spotify account was created through Facebook, then it's your Facebook password that you'll need to reset. If yours is a Spotify standalone account, your can reset your password over here. Hope this helps!

Mary

♫ "Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything." ♫ - Plato
Solution!

Spotify
Spotify

Hey there @vampgirl!

Thanks for your post :)

Have you tried checking junk folder and see if your invitation is hiding there? I'd also recommend making sure that the invitation was sent to the email address associated with his Spotify account. Let me how it goes :)

Mary

Solution! 1 person liked this

Rock Star 21
Rock Star 21

You will first have to cancel your family plan, through the website. Doing so will cancel your subscription, but you will still be premium until the remaining days of your subscription are used up.

After you cancel, you can resubscribe to the regular premium to ensure that your offline music won't be deleted and that your subscription will renew when it's time.

osorniosRock Star 21
Solution!

Rock Star 21
Rock Star 21

@YxK There is option to sign out from all the devices in account control panel (at the very bottom).

https://www.spotify.com/us/account/overview/

That should logout of everything, including your old PlayStation account.

osorniosRock Star 21
Solution! 7 people liked this

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey everyone

We've noticed this thread has grown to monstrous proportions. We want to highlight the main questions folks have about Spotify Family here. 

If this still doesn't answer your question, please post a new thread in the Accounts & Subscriptions board. A member of Staff or a Star will answer as soon as possible. 

Note: Spotify Family plans are not eligible for promotions or for payment through Spotify gift cards. It's not possible to subscribe to Spotify Family plan with iTunes in-app payments.

To sign up:

1. Head to spotify.com/family.
  2. Click UPGRADE.
  3. If you don't have a Spotify account yet: when you see the login screen, click Sign up. After you create an account, you'll be returned to Spotify Family signup.
  4. Click on the plan that includes the number of sub accounts you want (up to four).
  5. Enter your payment details.
  6. Click START MY SPOTIFY PREMIUM.

Congratulations! Not only do you now have a Premium account, you are also the administrator of your Spotify Family plan, in charge of inviting/removing members to or from the plan.

To Invite a member:

Only the administrator of the plan is able to invite a member.

1. To invite someone to join one of the allotted subaccounts in your plan, go to the account page.
  2. Click MANAGE.
  3. Click on an available Empty Slot.
  4. Click INVITE MEMBER BY LINK or enter the e-mail of the person you want to invite. ClickSEND INVITE.

To change a member:

Only the administrator of the plan can change a member.

1. Go to your account page.
  2. Click MANAGE.
  3. Click on the member you would like to change.
  4. Click CHANGE THIS MEMBER
  5. Click INVITE MEMBER BY LINK or enter the e-mail of the person you want to invite. ClickSEND INVITE.

To add another subaccount:

1. To increase the number of subaccounts in your plan, go to your account page.
  2. Click Manage.
  3. Click Add Member.
  4. Select the new family plan size that you’d like to upgrade to.
    Note: You should see the new billing date and monthly price for the family plan size that you select, underneath.
  5. Click Add Member. 

To accept an invite:

If you’ve received an email invitation to join a Spotify Family plan, first of all, congratulations! Secondly:

1. In the email, click ACCEPT INVITATION.
  2. If you already have a Free or Spotify.com-created Premium account, the “Redeem token” web page will open in your browser with a long redeem token number pre-filled in Token. ClickREDEEM.

If you do not have a Spotify account, you will be led to create a Free level account. After doing so, click ACCEPT INVITATION again on the email and the “Redeem token” web page will open in your browser with a long redeem token number pre-filled in Token. Click REDEEM.  

If you have a Premium account created through any other company than Spotify, you will need to contact that company to cancel before signing up to Spotify Family. If your subscription is through iTunes, please see Apple's instructions for cancelling.

How am I charged?

Whether the subaccounts you’ve signed up for are in use or not, you’ll be charged the full subscription price every month on the same date you signed up.

What happens if I cancel?

If you cancel, all the subaccounts on the plan will revert back to the Free subscription level at the end of your current billing cycle.

What are the restrictions on the members I can add to my plan?

To be added to your plan, a person must:

• Reside at the same physical address as the administrator.
  • Be a Free user, or a Premium user who purchased their Premium directly from Spotify (and not, for example, via iTunes or a mobile operator).

Can Spotify Family be used with other plans such as student discounts, or plans joined through a phone company, etc.?

Sorry, no. Any discounts cannot be applied to plan accounts.

I'm already on a Premium subscription. What happens to my billing when I become a Spotify Family admin user?

When you upgrade your subscription from regular Premium to the Spotify Family plan, any remaining time that you've already paid for gets equally divided between you and your member(s), so this can bring your next payment date forward. You can review your renewal date on the subscription page.

Note: If you subscribed through any other company than Spotify, you will need to contact that company to cancel before signing up to Spotify Family. If your subscription is through iTunes, please see Apple's instructions for canceling.

I've been invited to join a Spotify Family plan, and I already have a Premium subscription. How is my billing affected when I join?

When you accept the invite, you're added to the Spotify Family plan when your current billing period runs out. You won't be charged for your account any further - your payments are handled by the plan owner.

However, if your Premium subscription is currently handled by a third party - such as iTunes or your mobile operator - you'll need to contact them to cancel your Premium first.

Can I add a member from another country to my Spotify Family plan?

People in different countries cannot be on the same Spotify Family plan.

1,082 Replies
19 people liked this

Re: Discount Family Subscriptions!

MrLockertsen
Casual Listener

My wife and I have separate Premium accounts now, but since I just discovered the feature we definitely want to upgrade to a family account which I probably will upgrade yet again when my daughters get a little older. 

However, it says that I can only invite someone who is not a premium member. Does it mean she must let her account expire before I purchase Family?

- And I'm worried because of lwr032's post here. Did you get it to work?

My own music: Kustus | My blog in norwegian
11 people liked this

Amarro
Community Legend

@MrLockertsen yes you are right. She needs to expire her premium. Afterwards you'll be able to add her to the family plan ;).

Have fun!

Kind regards,

Max aka. Amarro

If i helped you don't forget to leave a "Kudo" or "Accept as Solution".

( Twitter // Spotify )

What is a Spotify Rock Star and how do i become one?

Im not a Spotify Employee.

6 people liked this

OviiiOne
Community Legend
Someone moved the message, isn't it?

Because the topic name is not the same

58 people liked this

Nandikesha
Regular

Hi, 

I signed up for Spotify Family yesterday and selected the me + 2 family members option, but after inviting the first family member I no longer have the option to invite anyone else. My only option on the Family Overview page is to remove the family member who successfully accepted. 

If I click upgrade from the Family Overview page, the two options are to update my payment details or manage subscription, which just asks me why I'm thinking about cancelling.  

It's possible the problem was on my end and I had accidentally selected the me + 1 option. If that's the case, how do I add an additional family member to my family plan? 

Thanks for your help. 

28 people liked this

Mestorts
Why can't I change my family plan from me plus 4 to me plus 3? Is there no way to change the number of users on your family plan?
13 people liked this

OviiiOne
Community Legend

Nandikesha:

Hi and welcome to the community!

If you check your bill you can see how much pay, it could help you know what option you chose.

Mestorts:
Hi and welcome to the community!

You can add/delete members, no need to cancel your Family subscription.

7 people liked this

Nandikesha
Regular

Thanks, looks like I must have accidentally selected the wrong option. How can I add an additional member to my plan? 

6 people liked this

OviiiOne
Community Legend

You need to cancel your Spotify Family Subscription, once all of the member are on free again, upgrade to family.

38 people liked this

camplg

How do you cancel spotify family, I cannot find the option

Thanks

SUGGESTED POSTS