When and how does Spotify count songs as "listened to"?

Solved!
Highlighted
13 people liked this

When and how does Spotify count songs as "listened to"?

EnaiSiaion
Casual Listener

Spotify provides recommendations based on what you have listened to and pays artists based on how many times their songs have been streamed. I have a few questions about this:

• What happens when you restart a song?
  • What happens when you skip a song right away?
  • What happens when you skip the last 5 seconds of a song?
  • Does it count listening to songs on your own PC through Spotify if the song is also in the Spotify library (but lower quality)?
  • Does it count offline listening?
  • Does it count private mode listening?

I'm hesitant to try new music because it might ruin my recommendations if I don't like the music, and I feel obliged to listen to the last few seconds of an outro so the artist doesn't miss out on money...

Thanks. :)

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution! 40 people liked this

Re: When and how does Spotify count songs as "listened to"?

Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

To count a song as "one play" or "one stream" a song has to be listened to for 30 seconds or more.

When you restart a song, it will count as a play as long as 30 seconds are listened to. Skipping the last 5 seconds of a song does not hurt the artist.

Offline listens are counted and sent to Spotify's server the next time you connect to the Internet. Yes, private listening mode is also counted.

• Does it count listening to songs on your own PC through Spotify if the song is also in the Spotify library (but lower quality)?

I'm not sure about this one.

MattSudaRock Star 24
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
Solution! 6 people liked this

Arluarz

Hey. Its a old topic i know , but perhaps someone answers me. Wanted to push my new album a littlebit up with more plays (heard it helps to notice my music, if more play-count got on?) . I but my song on repeat, but seems my plays doesent count there? Thats wierd, bec i have heard you dont even need to listen song all the way in the end, only 30 sec? Is it bec its my album, and my plays dont count?

21 Replies
Solution! 40 people liked this

Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

To count a song as "one play" or "one stream" a song has to be listened to for 30 seconds or more.

When you restart a song, it will count as a play as long as 30 seconds are listened to. Skipping the last 5 seconds of a song does not hurt the artist.

Offline listens are counted and sent to Spotify's server the next time you connect to the Internet. Yes, private listening mode is also counted.

I'm not sure about this one.

MattSudaRock Star 24
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
1 person liked this

EnaiSiaion
Casual Listener

Thanks. :D So I don't need to worry.

5 people liked this

Peter__
Community Legend
Local files don't get counted for purposes of paying artists.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

pittsy66
Casual Listener

Thanks for answeing this. I was worried that skipping the last 5-30 seconds of a song would affect this, as a long of great songs have long outros!

6 people liked this

felixd_h
Casual Listener

All songs I see shorter than 30 seconds have no listens counted, or very few, even when I am sure they have recieved far over 1000 plays. Do you know how Spotify counts listens for songs that are under 30 seconds or if they can even be counted?

DaniHoward

If the same user plays a song multiple times on the same device, are all of these plays counted? 

Thanks!

felixd_h
Casual Listener

yes

Azurei
Regular

Does mute count too?

saraguchi2316

No reason it shouldn't

SUGGESTED POSTS