Why my "Explicit" tracks getting replaced with edited versions?

Why my "Explicit" tracks getting replaced with edited versions?

GreenOnions
Roadie

Not all, but some. NOT COOL, man.  

An example is The Cool Kids "When Fish Ride Bicycles" album. Used to explicit. But no mas. 

79 Replies

luca992
Music Fan

All the tracks I had added to a playlist from:
"20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: Best Of Sublime (Explicit Version) - Sublime" 

recently turned into:
"20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: Best Of Sublime (Edited Version) - Sublime"

Not cool. 

jlp202

From what I understand, this thread was started 4 years ago. The problem has apparently not been solved. It started for me with Sia's "The Greatest" featuring Kendrick Lamar. The song when I originally added it to several playlists was perfect fine. But then one day out of nowhere, the Kendrick Lamar portion of the song was just edited out. And not just on my phone, it happened on my PC as well. It later also happened on my phone to "All I Do Is Win". Very VERY annoying. The only way to fix the problem is to search for the song, make sure that it's the version you want, and add it back into the playlist. Can you please fix this?

johnfredrickson

@jlp202 wrote:

From what I understand, this thread was started 4 years ago. The problem has apparently not been solved. It started for me with Sia's "The Greatest" featuring Kendrick Lamar. The song when I originally added it to several playlists was perfect fine. But then one day out of nowhere, the Kendrick Lamar portion of the song was just edited out. And not just on my phone, it happened on my PC as well. It later also happened on my phone to "All I Do Is Win". Very VERY annoying. The only way to fix the problem is to search for the song, make sure that it's the version you want, and add it back into the playlist. Can you please fix this?

June 2017 and I experience this issue still with my Spotify Premium account. Listening to Eminem is like listening to Swiss cheese. 

sjgstavros
Regular

I downloaded "F*ked Up" by Lil Wyte from iTunes.  Spotify on my PC plays it as Explicit. Spotify on my phone plays the edited version!  WTH?  I don't have the edited version on my phone.  Couldn't find either version on Spoitfy in the first place which is why I went to iTunes to purchase it.  This is lame.  Let us choose if we want explicit lyrics or not.

babybub10

I think it's syncing to your itunes library and replacing it w the music you have on there. That's what happened w me, and I deleted my ASAP clean version album (that i got so i could listen to while w my dad lol) from my computer and now it's back to the explicit version! Hope that helped!!!

Stranger
Music Fan

* sh**t! 😉

Today I found out that my * original Rosana by Wax was * cleaned up...

The * version that I used to have * contained all sorts of * swearwords... but the * contents changed. I * HATE THIS.

Happened before with some * Avril Lavigne songs...

<off topic>I Would SO love it if on the 1st of april a contentprovider switched out ALL songs with "Never gonna give you up". RICKROLLED!  But seriously....</offtopic>

This messes with the reliability of this service! When I put songs in my * playlist I do not want the * contents to * change! . If I want to listen to * bad words, * let me. 

Spoiler
Replace * for 'f-u-c-k-i-n-g' to read the uncensored message.

bcmail
Regular
Official answer from Spotify is they don't provide the source music, deal with it.

Can't wait for Apple's streaming service to be announced. Spotify can kiss my uncensored ass.

sk8terdudest989

I added Cee Lo Green's '**bleep** You' (pretty obvious when its edited). The tag on the song was explicit but it was added to my playlist from some obscure album when listening to spotify's radio feature. I had to readd the song (number 1 song on Cee Lo Green's artist page). When I went looking for the album for the other version in my playlist its no longer even listed on Cee Lo's page.  I could only get there from directly linking from the song in my playlist.

Very annoying.

Edit: Apparently I can't even post the actual song name in the forum.  The song was in my playlist for about 6 months before it changed.

passionchris

I can't agree more with this post.  I have had multiple albums magically getting replaced with BS edited/watered down versions.  It doesn't make any sense.  For example, Hollywood Undead - American Tragedy.  Currently even the EXPLICIT songs are edited!!!!  This is beyond frustrating.  This is a paid service.  I have these tracks in my actual library and they're STILL replaced with crappy edited ones.  This is unacceptable and I'm completely unhappy with the service for doing this.  I don't understand what is so hard about keeping what is actually labeled as Explicit content there.  Considering switching services.  I've been loyal to Spotify for over a year and this problem has only become more and more prominent over time.  I'm not getting what I paid for.

Fred
Community Legend
As a result of this thread, I launched a new idea to correct this. Please follow the link and add kudos and comments. An idea usually needs 100 kudos for staff to consider it.

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Do-not-switch-from-explicit-to-clean-when-explicit-is/...
☆✩✪ Want to help out? Become a Spotify Rock Star today! ✪✩☆
Jag svarar på svenska via pm eller via twitter

Binaural track - listen with headphones with good volume!

dsDoan
Music Fan

A simple solution, though it would take a while to implement, would be to add a meta tag to all explicit tracks, enabling explicit tracks to be easily distinguisable.

drpunchman

This just started for me... 

It's madness. I listen to Spotify at work, music in the background of my head while my forebrain is drilling through my day-to-day. Now that the songs in the background are different they they were YESTER(**bleep**ing)DAY it's like a mental speed bump. 

It's as if I took a swig of my daily coffee only to get a mouth full of taco sauce, the cup looks like coffee, smells like coffee but nope, it's **bleep**ing taco sauce. 

Fix your **bleep**.

GzaGenius

This is also happening to me.  Very disappointing.  Good bye, Spotify Premium subscription...

jstephen25

How hard is it to just have an option in preferences to "Show me Explicit albums only"? It is seriously infuriating to start listening to an album only to have it muted every time there's a curseword. I realize that Spotify can't control what the absolutely worthless record labels give them but I'd rather not see an album at all if it was censored. 

erikm02

Switching to Rdio because of this issue...

voicedgamer
Casual Listener

Thanks for the suggestion to Rdio, so far it seems less annoying than spotify with the ads although it detects adblock its easy to bypass. Its like a game of cat and mouse. 

kelfrick

I've been having the same issues. I my hip hop playlist, created months ago, all the versions are now censored. I can search for the songs  again to find the explicit versions, but I had already created the playlist and would rather not have to reorganize everything to find the "new" explicit versions. 

bcmail
Regular

By the way, with those wanting to switch with large playlists.. Check out [no external links please]
It transfers all of your playlist songs to Rdio, works great. Cheers!

Bandito

Thank you for this.  Rdio is definitely looking more appealing right now and has some songs that I used to have on Spotify, that Spotify no longer is able to offer.

Hopefully Spotify can get their stuff together sooner rather than later as this issue is extremely upsetting.

bcmail
Regular
I switched to Rdio while waiting for Spotify to respond.. Rdio is great, no more censored songs.. I've since cancelled Spotify.
Spotify - You really need to make this a priority. I've cancelled and several of my friends have switched as well. If you want to have a paid service, you have to respond to your customers. The competition is.
SUGGESTED POSTS