Announcements

Having trouble seeing your Wrapped stories? To fix this, update the Spotify app to the latest version.

Find more info on our community FAQ.

Why my "Explicit" tracks getting replaced with edited versions?

Why my "Explicit" tracks getting replaced with edited versions?

Not all, but some. NOT COOL, man.  

An example is The Cool Kids "When Fish Ride Bicycles" album. Used to explicit. But no mas. 

79 Replies

I found the explict version of the album here:

The Cool Kids – When Fish Ride Bicycles (click)

Directly from Spotify 

"Spotify does not censor music in any way. We simply make the music available in whatever form it was given to us.

Albums are often released in two versions: the "explicit" and the "clean" version. Usually, both versions are available on Spotify. However, as both versions are seen as identical, they will be grouped when shown in the artist view page. Only one of these albums will be immediately visible. The other album can reached by clicking the button that displays duplicates, a small arrow to the far right-hand side next to the album title."

As some have pointed out -- the grouped option with the down arrow is not available on the mobile apps.

The censored version is shown on the artist page by default in the mobile apps.

You have to do a deep search and look in the tracks sections for the uncensored duplicate.

Maybe Spotify can improve this.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

First of all, no this not solved, so please change that.

There is only one version of that album available. When I play the song "Swimsuits" from that link , it is the explicit version, which I have had starred from when I first listened to it like a year ago. Well, that same track, starred and everything, plays an edited verion when I play from within one of my playlists.

This is also the case with some other songs lately, can't remeber which, but some B.I.G. for sure.

When I search by the song only, I do get 2 versions - not specified which is explicit, btw - but they are there, even though when I search the artist or album, only 1 version appears. That's the first problem. 

The second, is that I starred the explicit versions, had them in playlists and everything was hunky dorey until recently, when I noticed words were missing... So my point is, somehow Spotify is switching these versions on me, and that ain't cool. 

Sorry, someone might have marked my post as a solution. This was not me. I have fixed that. Since the exclipt version plays from the link I provided -- delete the tracks from your playlist that are censored -- open the album that my link goes to and try to re-add the tracks from the uncensored album. I think I know what happened: The music label probably just released the clean censored version to Spotify and it messed up current playlists that linked to the uncensored tracks. Usually this doesn't happen because a music label usually releases both versions on release.
MattSudaSpotify Star

Usually when a music label releases their music, they let services such as Spotify know which versions are explicit or not. They didn't let Spotify know, so that's why there is no explicit label next to them. Spotify uploads it based on how it's given to them.
MattSudaSpotify Star

Makes sense. But again, this isn't the only album/track that this has happened with - several in my playlists have gone from explicit to clean without me doing sh*t. So it's going to get real annoying if I have to keep switching them back. 

Hmm… I've never had a problem like this. Hopefully Spotify can improve this so it stops happening.
MattSudaSpotify Star

I have this same issue. Here's an example:

I was listening to Macklemore's new song "Thrift Shop-Explicit" on my playlist "New Music". Two days later I played the same playlist and the Macklemore song was all bleeped out!

Joesalowitz - There are some naughty words in this version... Macklemore & Ryan Lewis – Thrift Shop - feat. Wanz

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Sam, I think you're misunderstanding the issue. The bug is not that I can't find "Thrift Shop - explicit". The bug is that one day I will be listening to the explicit version of the song, and then the next day the same song on the same playlist will somehow magically be the edited version.

It is my perception that this is the scenario that is causing this:

Day 1: I find "Thrift Shop - explicit" on Spotify and add it to my playlist. (Note: At this point in the scenario, there is no edited version available on Spotify).

Day 2: Spotify adds an edited version to their library, so there are now two versions available: Explicit and Edited.

Day 3: I play my playlist, and due to some magic bug, Spotify has automatically switched out the Explicit song with the Edited version.

I've been able to replicate this with multiple songs and artists (K'naan is another example). I'll start keeping more detailed track of artists, songs, and dates when this happens.

Are you creating these playlists on your computer, then listening on your mobile device?

Do you own versions of these tracks at all?
-------

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Now that you mention that - often times the issue does appear when I'm listening to a track on my iPhone that I created using the desktop (Windows) app.

Joesalowitz - Hmm ok. Have you tried syncing with your PC over WiFi? Make sure the explicit version is in your playlist beforehand on that PC, and it's all 'available offline'.
-------

Who's your Spotify Star?

I have the same magical explicit to edited transition on random playlists.

I do NOT appreciate the jarring experience of blanking or scratching words out of a song. I also do not appreciate having to recreate playlists after they are magically ruined.

I have had this happen to some albums two and three times. Paul Wall: The Peoples Champ has turned clean three times in the last year.

The song "Southside Groovin" on DJ Screw: The Legend did it over the weekend, though Tje rest of the album is still explicit.

Fix this please.

Fix this please.

I have to.. I first noticed it on Yes by LMFAO and it's slowly been infected my Starred playlist like a virus.  I just listened to POWER by Kanye West (yes.. I know) and it definitely censored.

Here's the funny part-- I listen to it on my iPad and iPhone and it's not censored-- it sounds just like it did when I Starred it when listeneing to the radio.

I tried the original solution (to remove and then re-add the song(s)) and it didn't work even though it only shows one (1) version of this particular song.

I notice this thread was created nearly five (5) months ago.  This issue needs to be reinvestigated, if it was even in the first place.

NOTE:  This all happened once I got Spotify Premium.

No one has responded to me since my post. I think maybe they don't care? Great way to thank their customers.

I haven't checked to see if the songs are edited on my iOS device. I'll check when I get home.

That doesn't really solve the problem. That being that I never know if the album I'm about to listen to is explicit like it was last time or censored. Killer Mike's R.A.P. Music is a good example. Some times that album's explicit, some times not. Macklemore's The Heist wasn't in December, but now it is.

At the very least, a true EXPLICIT label would help… More helpful, though, would be the album staying the way it is.

is it something with the record companies?

I just started having this problem with the new update. The Big K.R.I.T. Return of 4EVA album plays the radio edit no matter which version of the song I click on. This happens whether I play the song on my mobile device or if I directly click the explicit version on my PC. Is there any solution to this? 

Thanks for fix

Suggested posts