NEXT STEP

App plays instead of desktop

App plays instead of desktop

Plan: Premium

Device

Pixel 2 XL, and Macbook Pro mid 2015)

Operating System

(OS X High Sierra, Android 8.1.0)

Spotify, you woke my one month old son up.

He was being extra extra fussy and so I sat with him in the nursery playing a lullaby on repeat.  He wasn't going to sleep for me, so my fiancee came in and sat with him.  Of course, I left my phone playing. I left and thought I'd put on some tunes, so of course I fired up Spotify and listened to some funk. 

Then the music stopped. Odd I thought, so I started it again. Then my fiancee came to find me and tell me that loud funk music had been playing from my phone.

What is wrong?

10 Replies

Hey @user-removed, welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear about that. It sounds like you accidentally set your phone as the listening device when streaming from another device through Spotify Connect.

Make sure to select the device you'd like to listen from before pressing play. You can find more info on how Spotify Connect works here.

Hope that helps 🙂

SpotifyConnect is the worst feature since Clippy. Can you explain why I would want to play music from my computer and hear it on my phone? Why can't I turn it off?

Why did my computer not warn me that there was already music playing on my phone? Why does Spotify not care about it's users in this regards to toggling this feature on and off?

I pay my monthly fee. I am a paying customer and Spotify doesn't treat me like it.

Hey @user-removed.

Thanks for getting back to us. 

In your case, the Connect icon at the bottom right should have had a green highlight. This indicates that you're listening on another device.

On a mobile device, you would get a pop-up notification asking if you want to listen on your phone or continue listening on another device. 

Hope that helps clear everything up 🙂

That clears nothing up.

1) The connect icon was NOT green. I've seen it before. It wasn't green.

2) This is the worst "feature". It nukes my queue and wakes up my kid.

How do I turn off this so-called feature?

Hey @user-removed.

Thanks for getting back to us. If the icon wasn't highlighted green when you logged into your account on your computer, try a clean reinstall to see if it helps. 

As for disabling the feature, it's not possible. The best way to avoid this from happening again would be to set the app into Offline Mode so it can't be controlled from your computer.

Hope that helps.

Which do I do a clean re-install of?

But if I set the app into offline mode, I can't stream songs. Isn't that the point of the app?

When was this "feature" (really it's a bug) released? 

Why is it not configurable?

When will it be fixed?

Hey @user-removed.

You'll be able to listen to tunes saved to your device when using Offline Mode. Spotify Connect has been a feature available for a while. 

The only change you can make to the feature is the "Show local devices only" setting. You can find more info on this here.

For now, we'll be sure to pass your feedback on this to the right folks. 

The link you posted was some very confusing thread. I couldn't find any info on "Show local devices only". Please clarify.

On a mobile device, you would get a pop-up notification asking if you want to listen on your phone or continue listening on another device. 

I've had a problem where I'll be listening to Spotify through my laptop, then I open the app on my phone - this pop-up appears and then immediately disappears before I can choose to continue listening on the laptop, and playback automatically switches to the phone. It's not the end of the world but it is kind of annoying...

Suggested posts