Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Chomecast audio bug for 320k streaming, is it fixed yet??

Chomecast audio bug for 320k streaming, is it fixed yet??

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Google Pixel

Operating System

Android

My Question or Issue

I have been told and research tells me that spotify transcodes the 320k vorbis output into 256k AAC for the Chomecast, in my case, Chromecast Audio. This is unacceptable. I cancelled my subscription, but I still have some time on it, and I will sign up again if I can get confirmation that this bug has been fixed. It appears that it's been known about for years. 

Plenty of other apps can stream much higher than even 320k through the CCA, so what's up Spotify? 

Does it stream 320k through the Chomecast Audio yet? If I cast my entire phone's audio, the sound is better, and that indicates to me that the bug has not been fixed. But this is not an ideal solution. I should be able to cast the full highest quality from the app, like I could with Google Play, Tidal, a million music playing apps that can play from a NAS or from files on the phone. It appears that spotify is the problem here. 

Unless I'm wrong, in which case I take it all back, but can someone please confirm what the status is? Has it been fixed? Will it? If not, Why? You're driving people away from your service. I hate Tidal, and Google Play is hit or miss on quality. Spotify has the best library of any service. I want to use it, but I won't if I can't get what I am paying for, which is 320k ogg vorbis streaming. 

Please help. 

1 Reply

It sure is taking a long time for Spotify or community manager with a line to Spotify to provide an answer. This is not a good sign.

Suggested posts