Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to remove full screen album art from lock screen?

Solved!

How to remove full screen album art from lock screen?

I dont want the album art taking up the whole screen. i was fine with the litte box widget. I dont need people seeing what im listening to, in case its something rather inappropriate or something weird comes up on a playlist. Is there a way to disable it? its freaking annoying. I dont care about the play forward back buttons just the fact that the artworks takes up the entire screen now.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

This is way too late for you most likely, but in case anyone else finds this...

On 5.1 Android you can go into settings, then Sound & notification, then into App notifications.  If you block Spotify in there you lose the lockscreen player controller, but it also stops the lockscreen background from changing to album art.

Far from ideal.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hi folks,

It seems that there are other users in the Community who'd also like to be able to disable the Full screen Cover art in lock screen mode. 

To show your support - head over to this Idea and add your +Vote:

Here you can read more on how ideas work. As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented.

Hope this helsp.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Using a third party lock screen app such as go-locker seems to break spotify displaying anything at all so maybe give it a try.

I think it is sad that they introduce such an intrusive change without an option to disabe it. I seriously thought I was going to have to uninstall Spotify to get my lockscreen back to normal. Thanks to Spotify I had to download an other app to cancel out their malware (it is malware in my opinion when it changes something so vital as a lockscreen). Still VERY unhappy as I still can't get my lockscreen back to the way it were. Although the app suggested above aided a little, my living background that I want to use is impossible to get back. Insert one curseword, one name of genetailia and one type of their relatives between every other word and it would depict the frustration and anger this have generated. I've gone from an avid supporter to a disgruntled hater of Spotify. If there were anything else that worked the same way with my Sonos, PC and Android tablet and phone I would get it instantly if I could import all my playlists from Spotify to it. I've spent years on making them.

This is an inherent function of Android. Most audio apps (podcasts, Pandora, Google Play) will show full screen album art in the lockscreen.

The best workaround I found was to use a 3rd party lock screen, specifically Smart App Lock. It can be configured to replace the default lock screen, and it does not show album art in the background.

Well it didn't use to do that a couple of months ago. So this is a new change in how it works. Before this I had a beutiful living wallpaper and the spotify interface was just a small row at the bottom of the screen. An inch at the most. So they changed something that they need to change back or make optional. I've tried a third party app to do it but I do not like it. It doesn't restore my phone to the way it was.

Hahah. I've since realized that it is a function of Android. I only really used Spotify on my phone to play audio so I assumed it was them.

I just can't stand it sometimes. Depending on the music playing, it can really obscure any text or the little dots for the security pattern that are on the lock screen.

I would still like the use of the play pause forward backwards and a little info about the song as it was in the older version. Oh well.

"Well it didn't use to do that a couple of months ago."

This was a change in Android functionality from 4.3 (Jellybean) to 4.4 (Kit Kat). 

http://goo.gl/DNtAZi

Marked as solution

On 5.1 Android you can go into settings, then Sound & notification, then into App notifications.  If you block Spotify in there you lose the lockscreen player controller, but it also stops the lockscreen background from changing to album art.

Far from ideal.

@QRAT wrote:

Far from ideal.

Yes this really works, as my playlist contains even this track and it is not suitable / comfortable to use smartphone in public...

https://open.spotify.com/track/2CE1j05ALtKsCEoWJcmo8a

It is so weird, as this zooms into content and then someone sees what I'm listening... But I'm not gonna to remove this feature, because I don't actually mind...

I use a podcast app which has the option to disable showing album art on the lockscreen while playing audio -- surely a product like Spotify, with a bigger dev team, could handle it.  The podcast player is called Podcast Republic if they want to ask them how they did it.  

im using android 6.0 and there is no option to disable spotify in lockscreen even if you disable notification in android settings.

@pbalicao that's not true. Go to android settings > Lock screen and security > Notifications on lock screen, scroll down to spotify and toggle it off although why you would want to do this escapes me 🙂

Because some album art contains gore and nudity.

OnePlus 5 user here: disabling/blocking no longer works.

Works, but it's not what I'm working for. I'd like the widget to stay, but as I've mentioned before, Spotify hasn't fullfilled my request to do so. 

Hey all!

Noticed this thread and decided to drop a reply.

We've decided to make the widget a little bit more discrete a while ago.

Hope you all like it 🙂

Have a nice day!

Marked as solution

Hi folks,

It seems that there are other users in the Community who'd also like to be able to disable the Full screen Cover art in lock screen mode. 

To show your support - head over to this Idea and add your +Vote:

Here you can read more on how ideas work. As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented.

Hope this helsp.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts