Local files being replaced by spotify's version when they SHOULD NOT

Solved!

Local files being replaced by spotify's version when they SHOULD NOT

Brent212
Roadie

To try to workaround bugs in the android app that have caused many of my local files to go from available one day to unavailable the next, I spent a couple hours last night clearing out all spotify data on my phone, making a playlist of ONLY my local tracks (songs that spotify doesn't have, or at least, at one time didn't have), then syncing my newly cleaned spotify app on the phone with the desktop app and selecting to download only that "not on spotify" playlist. I thought this would ensure that, before downloading any other lists, all my local files have made it on my phone and are playable.

That all worked out. The playlist on my phone showed all 796 songs with the little green "downloaded" arrows next to them, and none were greyed out.

Now today, I'm away from home, off of any wifi networks. I start up spotify, and big surprise, the playlist shows the grey download arrow, indicating it's not fully downloaded. I go into it, scroll through the tracks, and about 20% now have the grey arrows.

I figured out why. Turns out, for each of those tracks, spotify has either added the same song to their library, or has a song that's close enough that spotify has decided I would rather have their version of the song instead of the one I MANUALLY IMPORTED TO MY LIBRARY FROM MY COMPUTER AND THEN TRANSFERRED FROM THERE TO MY PHONE. So it essentially said "for all these songs in this playlist, let's leave the files here on your phone to take up space, and even though they were used to create the entries in the playlist in the first place, let's download our files to be used in their place once there's a wifi connection available. Until then, we'll stream our files to the phone instead of using the local files, because using the local files is clearly what this guy wants to do, and we write terrible software that doesn't work in any sort of reasonable way."

The main problem is that it's giving priority to spotify's version of tracks for which I've already provided the files and for which, at one time (yesterday), it fully accepted the files I provided.

However, another very annoying part is that for many of the songs, the fcking sht they're making me use isn't even correct.

I'm guessing they don't look at the album titles at all, because having the track be from a totally different album doesn't discourage spotify from replacing the track with a song that has a matching artist and song name. Yet, even some songs with slightly different song names are getting replaced. I have a track with the title "Sandstorm - Radio Edit". Instead of using the file with the same ID3 tag title THAT WAS BEING USED FOR THIS PLAYLIST ENTRY YESTERDAY, it's now using a song from their library just titled "Sandstorm".

And even further ridiculousness - the desktop app I'm now using at work (where I don't have my local files) has replaced the same track with "Sandstorm (radio version)". The playlist shows "Sandstorm - Radio Edit", but when I play it, the song that actually plays is "Sandstorm (radio version)". At least in that instance, the local file isn't available, so I'm not totally bummed they're trying to find and play the closest match from their library... but I would be mad (but not surprised) if they then try to replace the playlist entry with that song on all my devices (I swear this happens... I'm going to find now I have two versions of the song in my playlists -- the one I put there in the lists that haven't been used with the unavailable local file , and the one spotify replaced it with in the playlist that has been used (just now) with the unavailable local file).

I think the solution is to simply append "(Brent's version)" to the titles of all the files that I import. Maybe (and that's a big MAYBE) then spotify will realize it shouldn't try to replace songs that have corresponding files available locally with whatever non-local crap it thinks is close enough.

I really fcking hate how much work it is just maintaining my playlists with spotify constantly fcking them up.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution!

Re: Local files being replaced by spotify's version when they SHOULD NOT

Peter__
Community Legend
In the desktop client, if you want to stop the matching of tracks go to the Local Files tab highlight all of the tracks then right click on select "Unlink Tracks". That will break the connection of those tracks to the Spotify catalogue.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Solution!

alotofheart
Casual Listener

I cannot find this option in the Desktop client anymore. 

Solution!

lozera
Casual Listener

Here's how to fix it:

1. Download an old version of spotify (I used 0.9.15.27 in my case).

2. Right click on songs you want fixed, hit Unlink Songs.

3. Redownload songs on spotify android.

Pretty sure the latest spotify android client doesn't properly support local files and will show no covers, so you may want to downgrade that too (anything before verison 3.0 should be safe).

29 Replies
Highlighted
Solution!

Peter__
Community Legend
In the desktop client, if you want to stop the matching of tracks go to the Local Files tab highlight all of the tracks then right click on select "Unlink Tracks". That will break the connection of those tracks to the Spotify catalogue.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Solution!

alotofheart
Casual Listener

Daniel
Community Legend

@alotofheart wrote:

Hi,

I suggest you ask in the Desktop forum as I myself don't really use it so you'll get better answers there.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Brent212
Roadie

@alotofheart wrote:

Well spotify's goal in life is to remove all useful features from their product, so I'm sure they took it out.

mykytam
If you change the file names of the songs it should work because Spotify won't recognize the new names. I know it's ridiculous but I had the same issue and now I am able to play my local files on my phone or on any platform.

Adin_Allen
Casual Listener
I had to remove the album image change the file name and song name freaking ridiculous. I made a clean version of a song and import into spotify and was like that's not suppose to be in there lol. 30 minutes later finally got it to work.Why do they keep removing helpful features? Waste of my time to even think about this!

navaira
Roadie

Believe or not but even different names don't work correctly.

I have Pet Shop Boys' Performance tour ripped off DVD to my iTunes. "Losing My Mind" from the album "Performance" turns into "Losing My Mind – Disco Mix; 2011 Remaster" from the album "Introspective"... except... it actually plays the local "Performance" song. I just can't import "Introspective" correctly now.

Mind = boggled.

Solution!

lozera
Casual Listener

Here's how to fix it:

1. Download an old version of spotify (I used 0.9.15.27 in my case).

2. Right click on songs you want fixed, hit Unlink Songs.

3. Redownload songs on spotify android.

Pretty sure the latest spotify android client doesn't properly support local files and will show no covers, so you may want to downgrade that too (anything before verison 3.0 should be safe).

navaira
Roadie

That sounds awesome.

Could you please remind us the link to old Spotify versions? (I promise I'm going to save it this time...)

SUGGESTED POSTS