Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Search history on Andriod

Search history on Andriod

After the last update on the android app, the history disappeared and what I have searched on after the update is not being saved in the history. So no history at all, is this a bug or is the new version like this? Really want my search history

165 Replies

Melodynelson, I wanted to address your points: As others have said, I completely understand that this is not a life-threatening issue. If I were going on these rants on a cancer board or a child hunger board, then yes, it would seem outlandish. I realize that complaining about a single feature of a service that lets me instantly listen to almost any song anywhere in the world is the height of overblown first-world issues.

But Spotify is a company that I pay to provide a service, and when that service suffers, I think I'm well within my rights to learn more about the hows and whys behind it.  

Apparently, Spotify feels differently. 

As we've all said, in the time it's taken them to get this far (to recap: after eight months, they have only confirmed that we're not crazy and this feature is indeed missing, and that someone has been notified of it. Pathetic), I could have seriously learned how to code, decompiled the app, and added the feature back in myself (assuming that's possible. 

And this goes way, way above this issue. It's an example of a systemic lack of customer service and communication ability, along with developers apparently operating with no regard for the usability of the app as it relates to customer feedback. To repeat myself, this is no longer about this issue, it's about any issues that crop up moving forward. 

Meredith, you want to be helpful? Tell us, in detail, how and why this won't happen again. If you can't, I'm not sure why a single customer who has other options should continue to use this service. 

Cut the canned PR responses and be honest with us. Take this to your manager and show them that people are fed up with Spotify's attempts at customer service (include a link to the Chromecast ideas thread!) and it's starting to hit a critical mass. I want to continue to escalate this so that consumers know before they try--Spotify will mess with its software for no reason and not be forthcoming with help and advice (if you can dispute that, please do!).

Lamp

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Add-support-for-Google-ChromeCast/idi-p/482900

As a fellow spotify on android user, I just want to say that the missing search history has not affected my listening pleasure in any way.

It appears you misunderstood the entire point of my post. Please correct me if I'm wrong. It's great it doesn't bother you! There are plenty of feature changes that don't impact me at all, but I refrain from posting in those threads to say that, because it adds nothing to the discussion and doesn't negate the problems the people are having whatsoever. 

But as I wrote, this isn't about the search feature. This is about what happens when Spotify DOES take away a feature that you use heavily. You have zero recourse or expectation of them doing anything but acknowledging the problem might exist. That's, essentially, useless. I want Spotify to create a better system that actually allows customer voices to be heard and responded to in a timely manner, as well as the developers explaining why they've removed something (so we know it's not a bug). I don't think that's much to ask, and it would benefit every user. I can only assume it's because you didn't understand my point that you would post such a response.

Lamp

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Add-support-for-Google-ChromeCast/idi-p/482900

Oops and I thought this was a thread titled "Search history on android" so I thought I'd share my view too. I hope you're not suggesting that only users who agree with you should post.

If you want to just whine in general about spotify, maybe start a separate, clearly titled thread for this.

If this isn't fixed by the end of May I am canceling this. I'd rather suck it up and use the other inferior products then use this anymore. It's just not right that it took this long to add something that was already there from the beginning. Why even have these boards?

Jwylot...what the H is the point of even saying that?

Having the feature would make a lot of people happy and even though it may not affect you ( it would help you), it certainly wouldn't have any negative impact on your experience. "hey spotify hey guys I love youuu don't add the feature back that a lot of paying customers want ". Quite douchey behavior, boy.

Like, honestly, how would having search history negatively affect your experience to the point where you feel the need to make it known you disagree with the paying customers who would see great benefit from it? I just want a peek into how your mind came to this point. Or are you just really odd and spend your time here talking up Spotify in hopes they send you a t-shirt?

See, now I'm raging hard like these other guys because it's blowhards like jwylot who have no understanding of how to go about their business without being a total blankity blank who suggests this company NOT add a feature that will help mostly every single user. What do you stand to lose from Spotify not adding this feature back

Google Music looks nice. Cancelling my Spotify service. 🙂 thanks to jwylot. You're a rock star!! Peace.

Nobody has suggested this feature not be added back. I'd love to see it. The fact is Spotify doesn't have some massive team that can implement everything anyone wants at any given time. That's the reality of software development. I think it's great to make it known if you want to see something that's missing or has been changed, etc. A lot of people didn't like the change to the light color scheme, and now it's going back to dark in the new version. The team does listen. But, there's just a lot of work that goes into every bit of every version of the software out there, so a little patience is a good thing. 🙂

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

@melodynelson I don't work for spotify and I certainly never suggested that search history wasn't needed.

Peter, about the Chromecast support.

EVERY other streaming service worth it´s name already implemented support for Chromecast, google music obviously, Rdio, Pandora, Rhapsody Napster, Crackle and a few other I never even heard of.

So the fact that Spotify at this point (based on feedback) seems to not even started working on implementing Chromecast support is mindblowing to say the least.

Have you seen the Chromecast thread? it´s past 3300+ kudos and 75 pages of comments since august 2013 and it doesn´t look like the interest is slowing down exactly from frustrated users of Spotify. Chromecast support

I really enjoy Spotify but I also REALLY enjoy Chromecast support when using my Google Play Music trial so I have no problem terminating my spotify sub until Chromecast support is implemented.

Community members usually are quite passionate about things and the Spotify community is no exception 🙂

But it´s kind of frustrating seeing updates roll out breaking working features and taking away choices and seeing wanted features take forever to be implemented (see landscape mode...)

Well enough typing and god speed and hopefully everyone will be happy down the road.

Musical Fidelity Headphone Amp M1HPA
Musical Fidelity DAC M1DAC
Ultrasone Pro 900 Headphones

Well, search history is back. In a new and, I must say, better way. A list with the latest searches appears like before, but even better, the app now filters while you type. Just like the Windows version (the only reference I have).

This is awesome and a huge improvement. What's NOT awesome is the horrible response on this forum from Spotify. Talk about bad support. Does the Spotify employees on this forum even know what is going on at the software development department? 

Well, F--- off to Spotify, and good luck with continuing the work of destroying the user interface on Windows. You are on your way! In the next release, how about trying the font size 46 everywhere...... My fat uncle with no hands can't quite hit the correct song in the playlist with his stumps.

Did you get an updated version of Spotify? My search history is still not working.

Same here although filtering as I type is there!

I don't even have filtering. 😕

I saw the update and I just wanted to say thank you to Spotify for finally putting back the history. It was a long and painful way but the results are there. Too bad the communication was a desaster...

What version are you guys seeing search history?

I have 0.7.9.1170 but they may be rolling this out by account rather than as an app update. Not sure on this.

Yeah I don't see any search history and I'm on that version so this must be a gradual roll out. In glad they have it fixed.

Suggested posts