Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Smart shuffle does not create a new mix/shuffle order

Smart shuffle does not create a new mix/shuffle order

Whenever I turn smart shuffle on, it does not generate a new shuffle order. It queues the exact same songs in the exact same order every time. Unlike regular shuffle which creates a new mix everytime it is turned off and on, smart shuffle queues the same exact songs. This is a very recent issue. Happens on both liked songs and playlists.
Have tried eating cache, restating phone, force stopping app. App is up to date. Device: galaxy s23 ultra. Premium subscription
102 Replies

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 11

My Question or Issue

Smart Shuffle, for the past few days, has been staying in the exact same order every single time I turn it on. For all of the playlists I've tested it on, including my Liked Songs. Regular shuffle seems to work fine, but turning on Smart Shuffle consistently breaks things. Either it stays in the same order, or it doesn't add recommendations.

I have a video but don't know how to attach it since the maximum file size is 5mb. In short, Turning on Smart Shuffle keeps the exact same order every time, UNLESS I turn on regular shuffle first, skip forward one song, and THEN turn on Smart Shuffle- then, it makes a new random order, but without any Smart Shuffle recommendations- it basically just reshuffles the regular shuffle. If I go directly from in-order to Smart Shuffle, it stays the same. If I skip forward one on Smart Shuffle and then retry, the Smart Shuffle queue is still the same order, though notably the currently playing song- and only that one- is missing from the order.

When I turn on Smart Shuffle, the order is always the same except for the 'smart' song insertions/suggestions. It's not actually shuffling the songs.
I'm using the Spotify desktop app with the latest update on MacOS.
The playlist is downloaded to my computer so I can listen offline.

This issue hasn't gone anywhere, still the exact same shuffle order on both desktop and android at least. After update it changes the order but then it's the same till the next one. Useless feature.

Suggested posts