Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify is always undownloading my saved music - sometimes logging me out altogether

Spotify is always undownloading my saved music - sometimes logging me out altogether

I'm quickly running out of patience with this app. For the 3rd time in as many weeks, today I found all of the music stored on my phone with Spotify mysteriously undownloaded. This happens to me regularly, but with varying frequency - and when it becomes a weekly issue, I start to reevaluate my subscription altogether. Oddly enough, this morning I was completely logged out of the app and had to sign in again. This occurs less often, but it nonetheless has the same frustrating effect of undownloading all of my saved music. 

It wouldn't be such a problem, except A. I share data with others on my phone plan, and if all my songs get undownloaded, I'll be eating up our data until I realize something's amiss, usually not until B. I notice that my own personal music tracks that I have synced have also been undownloaded, which of course necessitates not just simply redownloading from any wifi connection, but waiting until the next time I am home, then opening my laptop and syncing the music from my laptop over the same wifi connection. I have looked this issue up extensively, because it has happened to me countless times over the many years I have been a paying Spotify premium customer, and none of the excuses and suggestions I have read others giving for this issue in these message boards or elsewhere has helped.

I.e.:

1. It can't be the lame 3 device offline sync limit, because I only had 2 listed as of this morning when I checked - they were both an "android phone", and since I only have one I'm assuming the second (updated today) was as a result of being logged out then logging back in.

2.  I'm looking at Spotify in my Google Play Store app, and it doesn't appear to have been recently updated either, so it's not that.

3. I don't even have the option to save the 4.45GB of storage space the app takes up onto my SD card; it's always stored on my device by default, so it can't be the SD card. 

4. I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app when having this problem, so that's no solution.

5. I've heard varying accounts of there being a "downloaded song limit" but since I had somewhere between 1-2k songs stored on my phone (many of which were my own), I doubt I come anywhere near the limit.

6. This is an issue I have had on multiple phones, but one I have not encountered with any other app I've used, which leads me to belive that it must be Spotify and not my phone's fault.

I have been a loyal paying customer of Spotify for years. Not only that but I have promoted the app and got other people in my family to subscribe and/or join my plan. I use it daily, it is the only means by which I listen to music digitally, and I am obsessed with music. But every time this happens, I think to myself, I wonder if all the money I have given Spotify would be better spent just buying my own music so I didn't have to go through this hassle on a seemingly never-ending basis. 

It was one thing when the app was relatively new and still, presumably, working out the kinks, but this app isn't new anymore. The company has had YEARS to improve this problem (as well as many others, this is just the most annoying one). If one googles this problem, you will see how infuriatingly common and longstanding the issue has been. I saw similar posts going back to 2012 - I don't understand how such a glaring and aggravating issue can fail to be addressed in five years.

So my question is three-fold to whomever is capable of shining some light on this for me:

1. Why hasn't this issue been recitifed after tormenting us paying customers for years?

2. Is there any intention at all on the part of the developers to rectify it - ever?

3. How am I supposed to keep justifying the expense of a paid subscription when I could make my life so much easier and just buy the music myself?

In any case, if you're listening Spotify, may I suggest that you spend less of your company's resources on aquiring content and more of them in trying to fix the most basic, annoying, and longstanding problems plaguing the platform itself? Because if you seriously can't get your act together after all the years and all the money and all the reknown your company has amassed, you can't in all honesty call yourself "premium". If the means of the content's delivery makes you look like some third-rate slapdash DIY hobbyist developer's weekend project, what good is having all the content in the world? At this point, it should be embarassing.

0 Replies

Suggested posts