Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify is using too much data to play downloaded tracks

Spotify is using too much data to play downloaded tracks

I've noticed the app is using tons of data, 22MB just this morning - in one and a half hour, to be precise - while playing ONLY DOWNLOADED TRACKS. That's not the only problem, it's also stopping from playing downloaded tracks when the phone gets offline - in a tunnel, for instance. Yesterday, I had deauthorized the app from using background data, and that's when I noticed the problem. Today, I've turned on the in-app offline mode with background data reauthorised, the musics were still stopping eventually, after some minutes inside the subway tunnel. They only played again after I'd turned the app back into online mode.

I've got a feeling this is due to some problem in the last update. I can't afford to allow the app to use so much 4G data, but it seems to insist on eating up my data just to play downloaded tracks, otherwise it will refuse to play the songs. It's so frustrating...
Screenshot_20170608-103215.png
2 Replies

Welcome to the Spotify Community.

In this case, we think that the cache of your devices might be duplicated and this could be causing the issue. To fix this up, please remove all your offline devices over here. Then, reinstall the app following these simple steps

This should fix the issue, but you need to remove the offline device before you reinstall the app. Keep in mind that you'll have to re-sync all your offline music once again.

Also, we suggest you use the Offline Mode to avoid excessive data usage. After the previous steps, it should work just fine. 

Let us know how you get on 🙂
Maria_BModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence in between.” – Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Hi MJ,

I have dame issue and only One device so your Solution doesn't suite my Need. I confirm still lot of data usage even with downloaded contents. Why you guys  don't put a specific line in the configuration panel to set whether you want the app to use data or not for downloads? Or just a priority the user could set to tail app behavior?

Thanks,

Antonio.

Suggested posts