Spotify keeps pausing songs

Solved!

Spotify keeps pausing songs

Hossigodi
Casual Listener
Hi folks.

When playing streamed songs and or playlists, Spotify randomly pauses so I have to press Play button again and again and again and......
You get the point.
Any suggestions......hmmmmmm.....??
😊

Regards from Ice and Fire
81 Replies

leil_lani
I have the Galaxy S7 and ever since I switched to my newer phone, spotify stops playing when my screen turns black

Joe
Community Legend

@leil_lani wrote:
I have the Galaxy S7 and ever since I switched to my newer phone, spotify stops playing when my screen turns black

Hi. Check out this post which should fix things for you.

Kennkc
Clean install doesnt work. This is ridiculous...no solutions to help and the best users are being asked to do is to do a reinstall. Cmon spotify fix this. Were paying 11 a month

marcdup
Casual Listener

Clean install fixes the problem for a few minutes.. until you realize this is happening to other songs. 😞

It's definitely not the solution

Multimike
Hey everyone, first time posting on here, and figured id share what I found since I've been experiencing the same issue.

First, the preface to this: I have the galaxy s5 active, with 16gb device memory and a 64gb external card. I had a ton of music on the card, that and I always used Pandora, so I never bothered to check out spotify. But one day, the card wasn't saving my pictures, nor was it saving any new music I transferred onto the card. Turns out the card became corrupted and wouldn't write anymore. I could still access everything that was on there, so I didn't think much of it.

Some months go by, and my friend got spotify premium. He had some open slots for other users, so he gave me one. I downloaded the app and started streaming right away. Almost immediately, the same exact thing happens to me, songs just stop playing randomly, sometimes the streaming stops in the middle of playing a song. I tried the other suggestions, clean install, switch between gap less playback, app manager, etc. Nothing worked. I did notice in the storage settings, it was set to the device rather than the card, but obviously I can't switch to the card.

A couple days ago, my wife bought me a new 64gb card which was on sale at the time, so she got it for a fraction of what it usually was. Well, I stuck the new one in, formatted it, transferred my pictures and my music onto it (well, most of it, I think win10 upgraded from win7 doesn't play nice with older android devices), and the next day I drove to work and decided to use spotify. I expected the normal behavior of stopping randomly, but actually, I played 2 albums straight through and no issues!

Since I got a new card, I checked the settings again and saw spotify had switched the storage to the card automatically. I'm thinking at this point the app tries to cache a lot of data onto the phone at once, and if the RAM fills up, it looks to the internal or external storage. I could definitely be wrong on this, but this is way too coincidental.

The tl;dr version: the old external card got corrupted, spotify wouldn't switch the storage to the card anymore, got a new card, spotify can now save on the new storage, haven't run into any issues yet, but it's only been a couple of days. Will let you guys know if it happens again, but it seems to me that you should check your on board and external memory to make sure there's enough space for spotify to cache music data.

Alan_flores88
Casual Listener
I have a Samsung Galaxy s7, and every time I try to listen to the music, the music randomly stops,( with play button showing"). I don't know what to do, it works fine with other devices, but when Spotify is played on my phone, this issue persists.

Bittencourt
Rock Star 21
Rock Star 21

Hi @Alan_flores88, welcome to the community πŸ™‚

Try a clean reinstall of Spotify to see if this fixes the problem:

https://support.spotify.com/learn-more/faq/#!/article/reinstallation-of-spotify

Let me know if it works!

BittencourtRock Star 21
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Alan_flores88
Casual Listener
I have tried this method plenty of times, even clearing the cache, but nothing seems to work, and I am out of ideas by now. Also, whenever I try to skip songs, the music won't start until I click on the application, I have to keep doing this each time a shuffled song ends.

Joe
Community Legend

How are you skipping tracks without using the app - bluetooth controls? There are a few settings which can cause playback to stop so might be worth checking the following:

• Wifi/More/keep wifi on during sleep - set to always
  • Battery - Power saving modes off
  • Battery/App power saving/details - make sure Spotify is not listed. If it is, select and disable

Hillary7
Mine does the same thing. Stops after every song until I open the app. The only way I was able to fix it on my galaxy S6 edge was to keep my phone on the charger even if I'm at full battery, that's the only way the music will keep playing so far.

Alan_flores88
Casual Listener
Thank you so much, removing power saving mode seems to have helped a lot.
-Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7.

TEITR
Casual Listener
Had same issue and decided to fix it. The issue is an internal setting on your phone itself, not Spotify. No 3rd party apps are required as a "fix".

I'm running Android 6.0.2 on a Samsung Galaxy s6 Active with Spotify 6.0.0.8.6.4 armV7 so this may be different on your device although simular.

Settings -> Devices -> Applications -> Application manager -> Spotify -> Notifications -> The option "Set as priority" will be off by default. Turn it on. Enjoy non stop music with screen locked, even in power saver mode.

Merr0777
Music Fan
Tried that. Spotify will even stop on my computer. The only device it fully
works on is my PS4

tootrueforyou21
Same here randomly stops playing on my iPhone not sure why and it's kinda annoying

TEITR
Casual Listener
Try this: Settings -> go to System tab then Battery -> Tap Power saving mode -> Restrict all background data: Turn it off and you should be golden!

kdelmonte
Casual Listener
This is happening to me as well... πŸ˜” I play the actual music through my Android TV (Sony Bravia) by having the Spotify app installed and manage what's playing with my iPhone via Spotify Connect. Every 3-4 songs, it stops and I have to hit play again which causes Spotify to restart the song somehow. It is impossible to have a Spotify powered party in my house y'all. πŸ˜‘

I would be happy to link up with a support tech from Spotify for further debugging. Lmk.

Merr0777
Music Fan
Good luck with that. I first posted almost a year ago. It happens if I'm
connected to network, offline, radio, anytime really

Merr0777
Music Fan
Good luck with that. I first posted almost a year ago. It happens if I'm
connected to network, offline, radio, anytime really

kpbinnz

Background data setting worked for me.  Thanks

Joe
Community Legend

It's not spotify but the power saving features of your phone. What model phone and android version are you using?

SUGGESTED POSTS