Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify opening up on my phone when my wife turns it on on hers

Spotify opening up on my phone when my wife turns it on on hers

This is slightly annoying.  I find I'll be listening to an audiobook or something else on my phone.  My wife at home, will turn on spotify and suddenly I'm kicked out of whatever I'm listening to and spotify will pop up with whatever my wife is listening to.  This will happen a few times as she changes songs.

We share an account because I'm not paying multiple accounts for the same household.  So what gives?  Is there a way to STOP this ridiculous "sync" ?

Silvercloak

9 Replies

@Silvercloak5098

Hello:

A few things to read through Spotify Connect: https://support.spotify.com/us/using_spotify/play_on_stereo_tv_car/spotify-connect/

Spotify on a single user account can only be played through one device at a time, the Spotify service is intended for individual use only. The Spotify service does not support the playing of a user account through multiple devices at the same time with different content streams playing on the same account at the same time. https://support.spotify.com/account_payment_help/account_settings/can-i-use-spotify-from-multiple-lo...

There are some changes coming soon to the Spotify Family Plan, might look into the Spotify Family Plan here: https://support.spotify.com/account_payment_help/subscription_options/spotify-family/ and keep an eye out on the community for announcements soon of what changes are coming to the Family Plan.

That doesn't really answer my question as I'm not trying to play them on both devices at the same time.  I'm trying to STOP it from loading up on my device unasked for.

Hi there,

What you are doing is called 'account sharing' and is in breach of the Terms & Conditions of use.

Spotify is intended for individual use as already mentioned, if you were using it for this purpose then you would not be experiencing the issues you describe as it is not built for or legally made to handle sharing with more than one user (Unless you have a family plan).

I suggest you read the terms and conditions of use: https://www.spotify.com/int/legal/end-user-agreement/ specifically section 8 (and point i)

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Well, when they bring the family plan to Canada - I'll pay for that too.

Ah, yes Family plans in Canada & Sweden are still TBD.

Maybe one of you could set up a free account until Family plans become available?

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

I suppose so.  That's about the only half decent solution there is at this time.  Thanks - with any luck the family plan will be around soon. 

Silvercloak

I have a family account in the US and we are constantly having this problem. I even go to Settings and choose Social, Private but it keeps happening. This is so annoying as one of us has to quit Spotify so the other can use it. Please help with a real solution.

Hey @Djsan,

We are glad to have you on the Community!

We will give you more info on how the Premium Family plan works, and how to enjoy your music on two separate devices at the same time.

When you subscribes for Premium Family, your account becomes a Family-Manager account. This means that you receive the option to invite up to five other accounts in the Family plan, so that they can all have Premium Features available. All the family members need to create separate accounts with their own private email addresses. After this is done, you can log in on your account page. Under MANAGE Click INVITE MEMBER BY LINK or enter the e-mail of the person you want to invite. After that Click SEND INVITE. 

The other users should then open the invitation link on their own device. And after our system has confirmed that you are all in the same physical address, all members should have access to their Premium functions, and should be able to listen to music independently.

If you are all logged in the same account (with the same email address or username) on multiple devices, only one device can play music at a given time.

More info on how to manage your Family plan can be found on our support page here.

Hope this message finds you well.

We wish you a great day!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This is absolutely ridiculous and bad business practice I'm fully convinced that this is manually put in here to deter people from sharing accounts which technically it's not sharing accounts you allowed to use an account just not at the same time therefore I should be able to use my account and then when I'm not using it my wife should also be able to use that account that is still an individual use two people are not using it at the same time one person is using it at the same time my wife is my life partner and what's mine is hers this is getting ridiculous and if there isn't a fix soon I will be determinating my account with Spotify and just using YouTube music I will not stand for bad business practices and being shoehorned into paying more for an already deteriorating subscription model.

Suggested posts