Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify randomly stops playing

Solved!

Spotify randomly stops playing

Anyone recognize this; When listening to music (playlist, radio of after a search) Spotify stops playing. Sometimes it plays for 10 song, sometimes 4, it's just random. The progress bar continues but there's no sound. When I try to fast forward by dragging the progress bar it simply jumps back to 0 seconds and starts counting again. When I perform a search this also isn't working. Also syncing doesn't work. Clearly, the latest Android app loses connection. All other apps that use internet don't stop working during the Spotify failure, I have a 60 Mbps connection so this can't be the problem. I get Spotify to work again by force-closing the app using the task manager on my Samsung Galaxy tab 8.9 (ICS 4.0.4) and restarting the app. I mailed Spotify and hopefully they will do something about it. I am a € 10 paying customer so I expect them to do so. When reading through all the topics there are many more people having connection problems.
84 Replies

I'm also having the same issue. I've tried restarting my phone, closing and reopening the app, deleting it and reinstalling it, clearing the cache, but nothing seems to be working.This applies to songs I've downloaded as well as songs I'm streaming so I guess it's a problem with the app.

Have the same issue since weeks! App stops after a few songs, cant reconstruct why and when.

Have a redmi note 3 advice and the app, paying 15 euro family account

Please do something cant do any sports coz its soooo darn annoying....

Hi! 

I have the same issue since a couple weeks. I have a premium plan, what we can do about it? 

Marked as solution

Hiya,

In the end as there are multiple spotify users on my account, family premium plan, I ended up uninstalling spotify on the device (Sony Xperia Z5 Mobile) that I was having the issue with. Then cleared the cache fully on device with AVG Cleaner.

Afterwards and after a full phone power off and on I re-installed Spotify and all seems fine again

Hope that helps

Robert

This happens only with our Alexa Echo Dot.    I've deleted and re-associated spotify with Alexa several times.    This doesn't happen with any other music service we access through our Echo Dot.  Pandora, Apple Music, Amazon Music or music steaming from TuneIn or directly from a radio station website.    Typically,  Echo Dot (Alexa) says its a Spotify problem and Spotify says its a problem with Echo Dot.     Basically we've just stopped usingk Spotify on our Echo Dot.     

Im just using my samsung note 5 android phone, not an external device

Same problem here. I have an iPhone with T-Mobile it has been cursing my phone for a couple of months. 

I did the whole “clear your cache and reinstall” stuff and it never worked. What finally did for me was deleting all my devices and starting from scratch. 

I sat down at my computer and had both devices on the same WiFi then deleted and reinstalled both. That fixed whatever problem my phone was having. 

Hope this helps. 

I'm going to put this down here: 

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/COMPLETE-GUIDE-How-to-fix-most-Android-issues/td-p/914257

I had this issue as well with music stop playing right in the middle of streaming, and figures it was another app causing the issue... If anyone have Clean master, AVG cleaner, or related cleaning  apps, you have to whitelist Spotify on those cleaning apps or delete them, as they tend to stop it.

Yes, when I'm listening to music, it suddenly stops and have to close it. I don't have any external devices either, but maybe uninstalling it would help.

I am still having this problem in 2018

As am I. Spotify has never resolved it

I'm listening to spotify since a year, since about 2 days this random stopping happens to me, leaving spotify unusable on all devices (Iphone, Ipad, Windoes, Sonos)

The 'fixes' seem to help only sometimes & spotify does not bother to comment. 

Hm ... stop premium might help, did not have it then.        

I'm still getting this issue every now and then, but it always seems to be with the same songs: ie. Don't Look Back In Anger - Oasis. This song plays for the first 25s then cuts out the audio, but continues to 'play' according to the progress bar. This only seems to happen on my phone however, as when listening on my PC there is no issue. (I've noticed the same also happens with Can I Play With Madness - Iron Maiden, and a fair few other songs).

It shouldn't be an issue with my phone signal, as I usually have full 4G connection, and I always have the latest update of the Spotify app also?

It can be a bit of a pain, some of the songs it does it to on my phone are a few favourites of mine, and it is usually my phone that I use Spotify on.

Is there any genuine reason as to why some of us are experiencing this issue?

------

Phone - Samsung Galaxy S7

Spotify Premium? - Yes

I have this same issue constantly - even on my Mac - I dont't like listening to music through spotify anymore as it stresses me 😞

Some songs are glitched, report them to Spotify through the broken tracks page.

If you experience songs stopping on all and different songs, try signing out of all devices.

I used to have the same problem with Spotify through PS4 but it no longer has the problem, also you'll need a steady strong interent connection. 

If everything above is being done and still having the issue contact Help Support.

I'm also experiencing this. Music pauses after approximately 5 minutes after the screen is turned off. It doesn't happen every time. It doesn't matter if the music is downloaded or not. I've reinstalled the app, I've cleared system cache, I've disabled optimising the app under battery preferences.

It seems to me that it's an issue between Spotify and Doze or some other Android's built-in battery optimization feature. The thing is that Apple Music doesn't have this problem. So I'd say it's fixable but Spotify's been unable to fix this. 

Running on Oreo 8.0. 

I am experiencing this issue last couple of months. Spotify suddenly stops playing and i have to wait some while before i can activate the play button again 

Anybody else experiencing this issue on Windows?  In the last few days spotify stops playing songs and it is super annoying.  I have decided to go back to windows media player until this stops happening.

this problem has been happening for over a year now SPOTIFY doesnt care. Even if you pay subscription, IT STILL HAPPENS 😞

@thalgott3

I'm having this issue, and also the issue of Spotify resuming play usually about 1 hour after I've stopped. The resuming play issue started after the last Spotify update.

Suggested posts