Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Stop automatic download of offline playlists

Stop automatic download of offline playlists

Hi all,

everytime I switch Spotify on my android phone from offline to online, my offline playlists will be downloaded automatically. I really hate this 😉 Most of the time I switch from offline to online to search for new songs. But I cannot search while Spotify is downloading songs... Can I manually stop the download?

Thanks and best regards,
Sirisie
7 Replies

Sorry, there's not a way to prevent this that I'm aware of, although as soon as you do go back offline again they will stop downloading of course. If you're connecting over your cell phone network and want to be sure it doesn't use up your data, you can go into settings and make sure the "download using cellular" option is off.

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I'm surprised theres no option to stop the download while on wifi?
I know you can use the mobile data and stop it to downlod but how about for others that used wifi data usage most of the time??

Kinda disappointed. Its a must features for those who doesnt have internet quota that much/fast.

Scroll through your playlist, if there's a playlist that's currently downloading or set to automatic download, you should see a download icon or circling arrow icon below that playlist.

Click on the dots on the right side of the playlist to open the menu. 

Then click 'Remove Download'  to uncheck/stop its automatic download.

@ Spootifuuu: Could you explain this a little bit more?

I have now gone online on my android device. At the task bar I can see the downloading symbol from Spotify. If I scroll now through my playlist, I can see, that some of the playlist have not a green downlaod arrow but a grey one. The grey ones mean, that they will be downloaded. If I tab on the playlist I can choose " Download entfernen" (german, I do not know the english label). This means, that the playlist will be not downloaded anymore. But it also deletes all downloaded songs of this playlist.... I would like to stop the download... The download should stop/start by pressing a button.

It is also really annoying, because I am using RSAP at my Car. This means, that my car has access to my SIM-Card (for google traffic information). With that my car is the router and my mobile phone is connected with wlan!!! Therfore it updates all the playlists while driving!!! The workaround is to deactivate the WLAN on my phone, but this means that I wont hear, that I am receiving a lot of work emails (sometime I drive 4-6 hours, and if I hear a lot of emails, I am stopping to read them...).

Therefore it would be great to have a button to stop/start the download 🙂

Unfortunately, there's no "start/stop" or "pause" download button feature.  There's only the "Download" and "Remove Download" (Download entfernen) in the playlist menu options.

One way to stop the download without deactivating your WLAN is to turn on Offline mode (Settings > Playback > Offline).  You'll only be able to play the music/playlist you've downloaded, but since your WLAN is on, you can receive emails.

Screenshot_2016-09-07-16-34-33 1.jpg

I was having the same problem where every album or playlist I saved was trying to download but I discovered this had nothing to do with my offline settings. It was because I accidentally hit the download button in the 'Songs' playlist. Gonto your Library, then select the Songs list, and make sure the download tab is DESELECTED. Otherwise every song or album u save will try and download when you're off line. Spotify should delete this preset playlist as I don't really see the point of it
IMG_5497.PNG
IMG_5497.PNG

You're a hero!! That's exactely what I appear to have done, accidently download the Songs section. I would never have found it without you're reaction! 

Suggested posts