[Social] Bring back Inbox/Messaging with notifications

The Inbox/Messaging feature did not get a real shot at even being a feature because Spotify took away notifications for new messages. Give Inbox/Messaging some development so users can continue to privately share songs.

Hey folks, we've come back to update this idea status as 'Case Closed'. The inbox feature was recently deprecated within the Spotify app, a necessary but difficult decision that we made after a lot of careful consideration. This feature had extremely low engagement with users and it took a lot of manpower to keep it going. 

It's still easy to share and chat about music from your Spotify. Check out this FAQ about Sharing Music. We're also currently working on new and improved ways to share music and will take this as feedback into the process. So look out for improvements on our Spotify News blog.

As it's case closed comments won't be available here, but you can discuss this and leave feedback in this thread here. Thanks everyone.

Related Ideas

Comments
aak15006
Regular

I agree! My friends and I have resorted to sending eachother emails with lists of songs they should look up on Spotify. Or they're sending me texts. Clicking these texts launches the songs in the web player when I'd rather just be able to look at them in the app! There are extra unnecessary steps. 

If it seems like it wasn't used, it's because it became increasingly more difficult to find through the various versions. Please just put the inbox icon back in the top corner and save me from receiving all of these annoying text messages and song lists! This isn't 2003!

livdip08
Regular

I am beyond disappointed. I loved cherry picking songs for my friends and family members. This feature meant a whole lot to me and allowed me to connect with others through music, no matter where I am. Besides all that, I consider it to be a pretty basic feature. Please bring it back ASAP!

gwlister
Regular

Beyond disappointed as well. I have a cluster of friends using Spotify and we all share new music discoveries back and forth all the time. Or, at least we USED to. Please bring this back. The social interaction with other Spotify users is was kept me here. What's the point of 'following' anyone now that you can't interact with them within Spotify? Now it's really no different than Google Play or Apple Music, both of which would make more sense for me to use now vs. Spotify. Will be considering other options.

AkarJustFlewBy
Regular

Yes, please bring back messages and the Inbox. This is the main music sharing feature that I personally used. Different music appeals to different people. Sharing one song to one individual, and then turning around and sharing another specific song to another of your friends is completely relevant. Loved Spotify for this feature. Now, the experience seems less personal.

kitziasalgado
Regular

couldnt vote but i want it back with notifications please!!!

mikelyman
Regular

Bring back messages!

hitex
Regular

This feature hasn't been used massively because notifications did not work! Please bring this feature back with working notification and usage will skyrocket!

themarykate
Music Fan

**bleep**!?!?? 

GIANT FAIL, spotify. Absolutely GIANT. 

messaging wasn't used much because it was a hot mess. but, it was still used. my cowokrers and friends and i used it a lot. i kept hoping you'd improve it; make more intuitive, easier to access, etc. you're supposed to be all about community. removing messaging isn't community; it's lazy. thanks a lot. 

pedromuriel
Regular

I loved sharing plylists with ma buds. Please bring it back. Also bring back them lyrics, y'all, can't be that hard to code in lol.

secretE
Regular

BRING IT BACK PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!