[How To] Create a Spotify follow button widget

Community Legend
‎2015-05-04 10:00 AM

Our Community Rock Stars with the Blog Maverick role can submit blog posts to be published on the Spotify Community Blog. This blog submission comes from Rock Star @JoeThomas.

Hey everyone! Joe here with more cool tips and tricks!

Today I'm going to show you how to get more followers using the follow widget. If you’re on the forums this is a must have as it’s a great way to attract an audience for your awesome playlists.

What do they look like?

You’ve probably seen one of these throughout the forums:

ht1

This is a follow widget. By simply tapping in the follow button you’ve just instantly followed them.

ht2

So what’s the advantage of having a follow button?

There are various reasons to get a follow button. One of the main reasons why I have one is that when someone from the forums wants to follow me, they have a quick and easy way of doing it--they don't have to go out of their way. 

So can I get one?

Yeah!

Really?

Uh-huh.

How?

1. Open Spotify
  2. Go to your Profile Page by clicking your username in the top right corner. 
  3. Click on the three dots by your photo and hit ‘Copy Spotify URL’.
  4. Go back to this website.
  5. Paste the link into the box which says ‘Spotify HTTP Link (or Spotify URI)’. ht4
  6. Set the layout exactly how you want it to. Experiment!                               ht5
  7. Check the preview to see if the widget is swanky enough:
  8. Copy the HTML code below and paste it into your blog or website. ht7

HTM-wha?

HTML. It’s the language that brings the Internet together.

Oh. You didn’t mention me learning a language. You should have seen me in those Spanish lessons.

Don’t worry! You don’t need to know a thing about HTML. Just follow me (pun not intended):

If you’re trying to post it within a thread/message, simply hit HTML and paste the HTML code where you want it to go.

remastered stuff

Lookin’ good!

re

If you want to put the widget in your signature (the thing that’s at the bottom of every single one of your posts) then select My Settings:

ht10

Then under Personal Profile hit Personal Information:

ht11

Paste the code in the signature box and hit Save:

ht14

Boom! There you go.

re2

That's all I've got time for!

Want to make cool blog posts like this? Check out the Rock Star Program - it's right up your street!

~Joe (AKA @JoeThomas)

31 Comments
Rock Star
Rock Star

@livinlargo

Sorry, I'm not acusing you of being a spammer. The community staff have put these restrictions in place and I can't really do anything about it. I'm just trying to help out and let you know that might be the reason why. I know once you reach about 30 or so posts you should be able to add HTML to your signature.

livinlargo
Garage Band

Oh I know. No worries. :-)

Rock Star
Rock Star

@livinlargo 

Whoops, I thought I was replying to the user who posted before you.

With your community rank, you should definitely be able to post HTML in posts and your signature.

Read this guide to make sure you are doing it properly:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Beta-Spotify-Answers/Guide-How-to-embed-a-playlist-track-or-follow-...

If people continue to have problems with HTML, I can raise this as an issue to community staff. Other people have been able to post HTML fine, so I think you guys just need to read over the guide I linked to make sure you are doing it right.

Hope that helps!

livinlargo
Garage Band

@MattSuda - it really is no problem and I really appreciate you looking into the why.

gxhxoxsxtxfxm
Concert VIP

@MattSuda yes I got it. Thanks!

livinlargo
Garage Band
DonSolare
Agent

Waaa? You don't follow me on Spotify? You Mad Bro?

I tried and got

"Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied."

I guess this is a windows 8 problem? I will try with my older Vista and see what happens.

From android is definitely NOT working as well.

DonSolare
Agent

waa u mad bro?

no - here on vista is the same issue

user-removed

Invalid HTML code error on my end also.

DonSolare
Agent

I think this is working for me now, BUT i don't know why, since I didn't do anything different. Some day it just began to show up. One of those misteries of life.

spotifydetroit
Concert VIP

<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/follow/1/?uri=spotify:artist:1xwNYaTQEqt0DtsbUoC7ne&size=detail&theme=ligh..." width="300" height="56" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border:none; overflow:hidden;" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>