Introducing great new ways to discover music

Richard
Roadie

We're very happy to announce some major upcoming changes to Spotify. Never again will you have to ask the question "what should I listen to next?" as we're about to make music discovery easier and better than ever.

First up is the new Follow tab

Here you'll not only be able to see what your friends are listening to, but also what playlists they're creating and sharing. And it's not just your close friends  - we're happy to welcome on board real artists and tastemakers who'll keep you updated with the latest songs you have to hear.

Want to know what Bruno Mars is listening to right now, for instance? That's only a click away. Follow him you'll get an update as soon as his next album is out, too. Connecting with your favourite artists has never been this easy.

Whilst you're following lots of interesting new people, you'll also want to check out the Discover tab.

Here, we'll be your new best friend and offer handpicked recommendations that we think you'll love. We'll give you a full explanation of why we've picked each song too - like any best friend should.

You'll get concerts reviews, new people to follow, recent album releases and plenty more - all on the same page. That's more time spent listening to music that's right for you - and less time head-scratching.

Fancy something we've picked out? Add it to your Collection and it'll be waiting to be listened to whenever you feel like checking it out.

But wait, there's more! Last up is the Audio Preview feature.

With all this great new music you'll be discovering, you might not want to interrupt the song you're currently listening to. After all, why should the music ever have to stop?

Simply hover your mouse over a song that you fancy and you'll get a short snippet to listen to.Then save the song for later, play it in full or go right back to what you were listening. It's up to you.

The upcoming changes will be rolled out over the next couple of weeks. The first installment of these features will come very soon. So if you're keen to try out these for yourselves just hang on in there. A great new music discovery experience is on the way.

For any new updates as they come in, please subscribe to this thread:

Screen Shot 2012-12-06 at 19.58.04.png

445 Comments
Rorey
Spotify Legend

We know you've all been eager to see the discover features rolled out so we just wanted to let you know we've begun rolling out the brand new Discover tab to a very small percentage to folks in the U.K. and Nordic countries on the desktop application of Spotify. We'll be rolling it out to more customers in the coming weeks. 

Peter__
Community Legend

@Rorey wrote:

We know you've all been eager to see the discover features rolled out so we just wanted to let you know we've begun rolling out the brand new Discover tab to a very small percentage to folks in the U.K. and Nordic countries on the desktop application of Spotify. We'll be rolling it out to more customers in the coming weeks. 

Awesome :D 

Peter

mutantdog
Roadie

Considering the mess of the last roll-out you'd think that maybe an opt-in tester phase would be the better option.

Once again, those that really want to try out the new features will probably be waiting months while it gets forced on another group of unwilling guinea-pigs.

Cue the next phase of anticipation followed by dissapointment, I look forward to the horrible update thread gaining further momentum.

(incidentally I would love to road-test this new feature but I will not tolerate v0.8.8 indefinitely just on the off chance i get a suprise update)

mattschreiber
Regular
Will this roll out also include the collection feature? And when will we see a retina display update for the Mac? The app looks horrible and pales in comparison to iTunes. Watch out spotify, because iRadio is coming, and without retina support for album artwork etc. I will conceal my premium subscription. The collection feature needs to be implemented ASAP!!! Get with the program!!!
richardap
Roadie

@mattschreiber wrote:
Will this roll out also include the collection feature? And when will we see a retina display update for the Mac? The app looks horrible and pales in comparison to iTunes. Watch out spotify, because iRadio is coming, and without retina support for album artwork etc. I will conceal my premium subscription. The collection feature needs to be implemented ASAP!!! Get with the program!!!

I hope this includes the collection feature too. I think this is probably one of the most important aspects. Especialy when you look at Rdio and Deezer, both of which support this feature.

danc27
Roadie

@richardap wrote:

@mattschreiber wrote:

I hope this includes the collection feature too. I think this is probably one of the most important aspects. Especialy when you look at Rdio and Deezer, both of which support this feature.

Totally agree.

I would love to know if the Collection feature is going to be a part of the next rollout - for me it is the biggest downfall of Spotify and I cannot wait for it.  Will be awesome to see our "Collection" on desktop, mobile, Sonos, etc.

richardap
Roadie

@danc27 wrote:

@richardap wrote:

@mattschreiber wrote:

Totally agree.

I would love to know if the Collection feature is going to be a part of the next rollout - for me it is the biggest downfall of Spotify and I cannot wait for it.  Will be awesome to see our "Collection" on desktop, mobile, Sonos, etc.

interestingly i have just been updated to 0.9.0.117 and no sign of a discovery tab or collections

xioner
Casual Listener

I agree with all of the above and have been patiently waiting for this feature for about a year now. I can't believe that it's still not there. Also on the 0.9 version and the only noticable change that I see is that the font became bigger.. 

Peter__
Community Legend

@xioner wrote:

I agree with all of the above and have been patiently waiting for this feature for about a year now. I can't believe that it's still not there. Also on the 0.9 version and the only noticable change that I see is that the font became bigger.. 

There where a few other changes outlined in the release notes

Peter

gtbjames
Music Fan

Just posted his on the newbie board

I've been with spotify for since 2009

I am a paid monthly member

I listen to current music from that year, so at the moment 2013

I like numerous styles of music.

I used to use the what's new option all the time.

It allowed me to listen to music I would have normally known about

If it wasn't good I'd move on.

It also allowed me to know when bands I'd already known about released a new album (about 2 weeks later true, bu I was happy with this...)

Now that's gone, and instead I have DISCOVER

what a load of pants

1) I've already listened to 80% of the band,  thank you

2) The rest of the bands/albums recommend are old albums, not current releases

I have no doubt that some people will find this a good option, but I don't.

Is there no way to bring back the what's new?

It's a simple programme that you list the new alums released and people are listening too.

This is enough of a reason for me to leave spotifuggle, with my money, and find someone who does.

To say I am devastated is an understatement....

gtb

mutantdog
Roadie

So lets get this straight. Spotify's new super-hyped discover tab comes at the expense of an existing useful feature. Furthermore this much-anticipated addition is a bit pants. Why am i not suprised?

Good work Spotify, nice to see you keeping with the current theme of ruining your service and removing functionality.

Peter__
Community Legend

@mutantdog wrote:

So lets get this straight. Spotify's new super-hyped discover tab comes at the expense of an existing useful feature. Furthermore this much-anticipated addition is a bit pants. Why am i not suprised?

Good work Spotify, nice to see you keeping with the current theme of ruining your service and removing functionality.

Have you got the discovery tab?

Peter

mutantdog
Roadie

No. I'm just commenting on the previous post.

user-removed
Not applicable

For those wondering what the Discover Tab does, I have it available in my web player.  Here's some photos:  

Discover Tab 1.png

It's basically just a replacement for the What's New page it seems (there is no longer a What's New page once you get the Discover Tab).  They give you suggestions for songs, playlists, and artists based on where you live, who your friends are, what you listen to, or what's popular on Spotify in general.  They give biographies of the artists under the song and artist suggestions.  You can also preview songs they suggest for about 30 seconds by hovering over the cover art, then clicking on it and holding that position until the song preview ends.  It's not as interesting as they were making it out to be in my opinion.

maxwood

I'm in exactly the same position.

Recommendations are all music I've listened to or terrible music that seems to be recommended from when a rap artist was featured in one song or something.

No way of discovering music that's new outside of my normal genre which is what I used to do all the time.

WHAT A LET DOWN!

mattschreiber
Regular

The discover feature in the Mac App is great! Love it! Now--when are we getting this update on the web and mobile clients? And when will the collection feature arrive as well on the desktop and mobile platforms? The collection feature has been my most anticipated since the announcement in Decemeber. This is the one main functionality that Rdio has and Spotify lacks!!! 

Technogoat
Music Fan

I'm really enjoying the new Discover tab on the Mac. I've also noticed a considerable improvement in the speed at which the Mac app opens and runs compared to when the last major update was rolled out. I'd like to see continued improvement like this, and am greatly anticipating the Collection feature, as I thoroughly enjoyed using this when I tried out Rdio.

user-removed
Not applicable

The discover tab is crap ... only shows me music that is already in my playlists.  I'm getting absolutely nothing new.  Can you make so we new music? Stuff that isn't on my radar based on my playlists.  New Artists, New recordings ... etc ... 

Peter__
Community Legend

@user-removed wrote:

The discover tab is crap ... 

I have made a made a feedback topic over on the ideas exchange here if you want to add your kudos and comments there about what you don't like about and and how you think it can be improved. 

Peter

LGB
Casual Listener

Hi!

I like the new feature for discovering music, but my feature for "news" is now gone.... Help?

LGB

Labels