Spotify 1.0.11 beta for Linux is out, with 32-bit binaries!

nikreiman
Spotify Legend

Hello Linux users!

 

Today we've released Spotify client version 1.0.11 for Linux. There are some big changes in this version, and it's still considered to be a beta release, and will be in beta until the items in the "known issues" list below are resolved. If you want to try out this version, installation instructions remain the same as for the other betas:

 

echo deb http://repository.spotify.com testing non-free | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install spotify-client

 

or if you have a previous version installed, simply:

sudo apt-get upgrade

 

 

Since the previous public release (version 1.0.9), we've made the following Linux-specific changes:

 

  • 32-bit binaries are now available! Now users on i386 systems can try out the 1.x betas as well. Please reply to this thread with any technical problems that you encounter on that architecture.
  • libnotify is now an suggested package dependency. If you don't have that library installed, this feature will simply be unavailable.
  • Updated application icon in the spotify.desktop entry
  • GPU acceleration is disabled (see below)

This build ships with the following limitations, of which we are still currently working on:

 

  • Proper dbus support for MPRIS MediaPlayer2
  • There is no application menu
  • It is not possible to re-enable GPU acceleration through the settings

 

Important: regarding GPU acceleration, this is now completely disabled in the client, and we do not yet have a way to enable it in the preferences. This change was originally made in Chromium for Linux, but since the Spotify client uses CEF, we inherited this change from them. According to the Launchpad bug report, faulty GPU driver support was the single largest cause of crashes for Chromium on Linux (this graph shows how Chromium crashes on Linux have dramatically decreased after the setting was changed).

 

 

Depending on your hardware and GPU drivers, this change is either going to be a big annoyance for you or a huge blessing. For our users who experienced frequent and strange crashes with the client, this change will probably greatly increase client stability. For other users with certain video cards, scrolling performance and redraw rates may be noticeably choppier. Some users won't notice anything at all.

 

The obvious solution here is that our Linux client needs a toggle to manually re-enable this feature in the settings. Exposing this feature is not as straightforward as you might believe, or else we would have done it already. ;) However, we're working on a way to do just that, and hopefully will have something in place for the next beta release.

59 Comments
schuhumi
Gig Goer

Dev's of Spotify, I love you <3

 

Touch is working perfectly now, it's almost as touchy as the Android version / native gtk3 programs! Thank you so much for this! 

 

edit: and also kudos to who updated the arch user repository so frickin' fast ( spotify-beta in aur4 for people searching it)

Dark_Arc
Music Fan

I'm glad progress is being made, great job guys, I just really hope for some non-debian packages soon...

sleeksorrow
Roadie

@Dark_Arc wrote:

I'm glad progress is being made, great job guys, I just really hope for some non-debian packages soon...


To be able to move back and forth between the versions, I also don't use deb packages under ubuntu. I use "dpkg-deb --extract" to get the files in the package, then copy the ./usr/share/spotify folder to /opt/spotify-<version> and make symlinks in /usr/local/bin pointing to the versoin I want to have active.

 

Of course you can do that completely in user homedir like putting it into $HOME/opt/ and smylinking into $HOME/bin if you prefer to not to affect other users on the system.

 

Only thing to consider is, that dependencies are not installed automatically like with "apt-get install". Like 1.0.7 was working fine, but 1.0.11 complained about missing libXss.so.1, so I manually had to install package libxss1, now it's working like a charm.

blubbo
Roadie

Thanks for your continued support for Linux! It _is_ appreciated! :)

 

Any chance the queing over Connect is gonna be looked at soon? The windows client seems to only be able to queue one song. If there already is one song in the queue nothing happens when you try to add another (except for the weird reshuffling that happens whenever you touch the queue). And if there are more than 1 song queued, the windows client removes all but the first one.

 

From Android it works almost always.

 

This is the only complaint I have with the Linux version but it's kind of a deal breaker when using it soley as an headless music player.

jeekajoo
Music Fan

Hi,

 

First, thanks for working on this.

 

# x86-64
source=("http://repository.spotify.com/pool/non-free/s/spotify-client/spotify-client_${pkgver}${_anotherpkgver}_amd64.deb"

# x86
source=("http://repository.spotify.com/pool/non-free/s/spotify-client/spotify-client_${pkgver}${_anotherpkgver}_i386.deb"

Do you plan to use same ${pkgver} for both architectures?

 

I'm asking this regarding archlinux packaging (https://aur4.archlinux.org/packages/spotify-beta/ ).

Whether we need to package x86 separately or not.

 

Thanks

Hideaki02
Music Fan

Thanks for the update!

 

The lack of hardware acceleration really sucks on high-res laptops, though. You can re-enable it by starting spotify with the --ignore-gpu-blacklist flag.

 

Here's what my spotify.desktop file looks like to tweak it for my HiDPI laptop:

 

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Spotify
GenericName=Music Player
Comment=Spotify streaming music client
Icon=spotify-client
Exec=spotify --force-device-scale-factor=1.5 --ignore-gpu-blacklist %U
TryExec=spotify
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Audio;Music;Player;AudioVideo
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/spotify
nikreiman
Spotify Legend

@blubbo wrote:

Thanks for your continued support for Linux! It _is_ appreciated! :)

 

Any chance the queing over Connect is gonna be looked at soon? The windows client seems to only be able to queue one song. If there already is one song in the queue nothing happens when you try to add another (except for the weird reshuffling that happens whenever you touch the queue). And if there are more than 1 song queued, the windows client removes all but the first one.

 

From Android it works almost always.

 

This is the only complaint I have with the Linux version but it's kind of a deal breaker when using it soley as an headless music player.


This sounds like a bug, and a non Linux specific one at that. I'll look into this, however there are some changes to the player stack which will also effect connect that we are just rolling out. These changes will not require a client update, so there is a chance that you'll notice this behavior "magically" fix itself in the upcoming weeks. Anyways this is not a known limitation from our end for Linux users, we will investigate this bug.

nikreiman
Spotify Legend

@Hideaki02 wrote:

Thanks for the update!

 

The lack of hardware acceleration really sucks on high-res laptops, though. You can re-enable it by starting spotify with the --ignore-gpu-blacklist flag.

 

Here's what my spotify.desktop file looks like to tweak it for my HiDPI laptop:

 

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Spotify
GenericName=Music Player
Comment=Spotify streaming music client
Icon=spotify-client
Exec=spotify --force-device-scale-factor=1.5 --ignore-gpu-blacklist %U
TryExec=spotify
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Audio;Music;Player;AudioVideo
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/spotify

I have a NVidia GTX 760 with the official drivers, and this switch (or any of the other hundred GPU related switches in chrome) did not work for me. I'm glad that this solution works for you, however with GPU stuff in Linux, it's worth mentioning to others that "your mileage may vary" greatly applies here. ;)

jeekajoo
Music Fan
blubbo
Roadie

@nikreiman wrote:

@blubbo wrote:

Thanks for your continued support for Linux! It _is_ appreciated! :)

 

Any chance the queing over Connect is gonna be looked at soon? The windows client seems to only be able to queue one song. If there already is one song in the queue nothing happens when you try to add another (except for the weird reshuffling that happens whenever you touch the queue). And if there are more than 1 song queued, the windows client removes all but the first one.

 

From Android it works almost always.

 

This is the only complaint I have with the Linux version but it's kind of a deal breaker when using it soley as an headless music player.


This sounds like a bug, and a non Linux specific one at that. I'll look into this, however there are some changes to the player stack which will also effect connect that we are just rolling out. These changes will not require a client update, so there is a chance that you'll notice this behavior "magically" fix itself in the upcoming weeks. Anyways this is not a known limitation from our end for Linux users, we will investigate this bug.


Good.

 

Controlling -> Playing

Windows -> Android: Queing in itself works. But the queue gets cleared when the first song in it starts playing.

Windows -> Linux: As explained above.

Android -> Windows: Queing in itself works. But the client shows information for the song directly after the queued songs.

Android -> Linux: Queing in itself works. But the client shows information for the song directly after the queued songs.

 

So ... abrakadabra? :)

nikreiman
Spotify Legend
@jeekajoo yes, the package versions should be the same for both architectures. However I cannot guarantee that this will always be the case; since building a 32 bit CEF on 64 bit systems is really difficult, we might not have a 32 bit release always ready at the same time as 64 bit updates. So your script for repackaging should consider this case.
keibak
Regular

What about remote control?

Can the client be controlled through dbus or any other way?

 

I need this to bind the functionality to the keyboard's multimedia keys.

-DoubleU-
Newbie

Will there be changes to the widget toolkit towards the future? I think that GTK2 is being used at this time, are there plans to move to GTK3?

Thanks in advance!

Alfaro
Regular

Hello !

Thanks for this new version.

 

Sadly, I don't manage to start it (I had the same problem with 1.09 I think), as it directly crashes and displays an Ubuntu bug report.

 

I run Ubuntu 14.04 on a pre-SSE2 architecture (Athlon XP-M) for which it looks that flash plugin is not available (reason why I can't use play.spotify.com), I don't know if it can be a reason for the crash.

 

(If it helps, I can post or send the crash report, or run any useful test).

 

Best regards.

nikreiman
Spotify Legend

@-DoubleU- wrote:

Will there be changes to the widget toolkit towards the future? I think that GTK2 is being used at this time, are there plans to move to GTK3?

Thanks in advance!


It's possible, but I don't know when it will happen:

 

http://www.magpcss.org/ceforum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12784

 

FWIW, "magreenblatt" in that thread is the main CEF maintainer. I'm betting that he'd be welcome to have a patch doing the migration (which is supposedly rather painless if the comment by PolesApart is to be believed), but I don't think he has time for it. So if you are comfortable digging in the code, send a patch to the official CEF repo here:

 

https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/cef

 

Spotify picks up new CEF versions on a regular basis (and usually shortly after they are released), so such a patch would trickle into the released Linux client rather quickly.

nikreiman
Spotify Legend

@Alfaro wrote:

Hello !

Thanks for this new version.

 

Sadly, I don't manage to start it (I had the same problem with 1.09 I think), as it directly crashes and displays an Ubuntu bug report.

 

I run Ubuntu 14.04 on a pre-SSE2 architecture (Athlon XP-M) for which it looks that flash plugin is not available (reason why I can't use play.spotify.com), I don't know if it can be a reason for the crash.

 

(If it helps, I can post or send the crash report, or run any useful test).

 

Best regards.


I have a suspicion why Spotify doesn't work on your computer, and if I'm correct, there may not be much that we can do about it. But anyways, it's just a hypothesis -- can you try running the client from the command line and pasting the logging output here? If it's too much output, put it on pastebin/gist.github.com/your favorite alternative. Thanks!

ahjolinna
Casual Listener

okay so spotify will stay on this horrible web app solution..."great" -_- I will stay on the old qt4 version instead

I wonder what Spotify will do when the MIR/wayland switch will happen? rewrite the app in gtk3 or go back to Qt?

and yes you can run the old x-server apps if the distro allows it, but that just a short term solution /hack/workaround.

 

and those who say that that will take years are wrong...intel drivers support wayland already and Nvidia is working on it, okay AMD/radeon is left...but who cares.

 

I think it's a safe prediction that in 2016 u can test wayland/mir with nvidia drivers, with Unity 8/next, gnome-shell or plasma5...how stable will it be? usable at best, but will lack some features.

 

wayland/mir is already used on phones/tablets (wayland on Jolla's SailfishOS, and OC Mir on ubuntu-touch)

 

that reminds me, here is PapyrOS; Arch linux with Wayland and new DE made with Qt5 that uses Material Design standard...it's still W.I.P.

galiral
Newbie

Hello Nik,

is there a way for you guys to publish the debugging symbols?

Sometimes the client crashes on me with the following message

 

21:36:00.546 I [cdn_chunk_downloader.cpp:214 ] Request for file 6653f59bd531565d43328906e82d21fbf786f257 complete (code: success (0))
[0100/000000:ERROR:channel.cc(300)] RawChannel read error (connection broken)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

 

and if I remember correctly in the current stable client limited itself to just not play the song that could not get.

 

bye!

nikreiman
Spotify Legend

@galiral wrote:

Hello Nik,

is there a way for you guys to publish the debugging symbols?

Sometimes the client crashes on me with the following message

 

21:36:00.546 I [cdn_chunk_downloader.cpp:214 ] Request for file 6653f59bd531565d43328906e82d21fbf786f257 complete (code: success (0))
[0100/000000:ERROR:channel.cc(300)] RawChannel read error (connection broken)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

 

and if I remember correctly in the current stable client limited itself to just not play the song that could not get.

 

bye!


Unfortunately no, we aren't able to publish a public dsym table for various reasons. However, we are working on automatically collecting crashdumps with socorro/breakpad (as mozilla does). The infrastructure is already in place for this and we collect and analyze (anonymized) stacktraces from our Mac/Windows users, we just need to set up the reporting hooks on Linux as well.

 

However, in the meantime, you can run spotify with strace and at least get a better idea as to what is happening right before the crash.

dfranganillo
Casual Listener

Hi,

somehow I messed up my interface zooming in and I dont know how to revert the change. Can you provide the keybindings for zooming out the interface? I tried with the usual [ctrl,+] , [ctrl,-], [ctrl,shift,+] , [ctrl, shift, -] without results :\

 

Thanks.

Labels