Spotify Client 1.x beta for Linux has been released

nikreiman
Spotify Legend
‎2015-06-05 09:41 AM

Hello Linux users!

After much waiting, you'll be pleased to hear that we finally have a beta release of the 1.x client which is publicly available as of today! To gather more feedback and input, we are releasing the client to a testing repository rather than the stable one. So to get it, you'll need to add Spotify's testing repository to your apt sources, like so:

echo deb http://repository.spotify.com testing non-free | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list

If you already have Spotify's repository listed elsewhere (such as /etc/apt/sources.list), we recommend removing it and creating a separate file as shown above. After having configured the testing repository, simply run:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

...and you should see spotify-client among the list of packages which need to be updated. We will keep the 'testing' repository alive for the foreseeable future; think of it as our beta channel for Linux users.

New features in the 1.x client which are specific to the Linux client:

• Remember all those various bugs with text/mouse input in the 0.9.x client? Like the client not giving up mouse focus? Or crashing on drag/drop? Or text input not working on some window managers? Get ready to say goodbye to them. :)
  • "Now playing" notifications can be switched off in the settings page, and libnotify is a suggested (not recommended) package dependency.
  • The WM_CLASS property should be set correctly (was broken in the first unofficial beta)

Known issues/limitations with the 1.x Linux beta client (at the time of writing this post, the client version is 1.0.7.153.gb9e8174a):

• Login with Facebook Connect does not work (there is a fix for this and it will be rolled out soon)
  • There is no application menu
  • There is no tray icon
  • Some key bindings do not work yet, like ctrl+s for shuffle, etc.
  • The application is super tiny on hi-res displays
  • 32-bit builds are not available yet

Regarding the application menu, all functions from the menu are accessible in other places in the client. Preliminary design for the menu has been done for this feature.

The tray icon is a bit trickier; in the 0.9.x client we got this from QT, which is no longer used in the 1.x client. We are currently evaluating how to best re-implement this feature.

The font scaling and detection of hi-res displays is also tough to fix, but the good news is that the Linux client will soon have the "zoom" feature present in Mac/Windows along with the necessary key bindings, and this setting will be persisted between sessions. Users with hi-res displays will be able to use this feature to scale the client to an appropriate resolution. This fix will be rolled out in the near future.

As for the 32-bit builds, there is some good news there. We have managed to get a working 32-bit build pipeline configured. We're currently in the process of testing and double-checking the integrity of the 32-bit builds, and we will have a 32-bit binary release soon.

112 Comments
kigurai
Festival VIP

This is very nice indeed!

I remember that you previously spoke of tar-ball releases, for non-deb distros.

Is there any progress on this? I guess testing that mode of installation/distribution before going stable could be handy?

nikreiman
Spotify Legend

We're going to try to really nail debian distribution before doing other packaging formats (including tarballs). The problem with the tarball releases is that the binaries really only ran on debian systems anyways, because of the dynamically linked package dependencies.

Anyways we're still working towards that goal but have some other problems to solve first before we can do tarball releases. It's still on the radar though.

Community Legend

+1 for THIS:

"As for the 32-bit builds, there is some good news there. We have managed to get a working 32-bit build pipeline configured. We're currently in the process of testing and double-checking the integrity of the 32-bit builds, and we will have a 32-bit binary release soon."

perlsite
Garage Band

nikreiman wrote:

Known issues/limitations with the 1.x Linux beta client (at the time of writing this post, the client version is 1.0.7.153.gb9e8174a):

• Login with Facebook Connect does not work (there is a fix for this and it will be rolled out soon)
  • There is no tray icon

Playing Local Files still cause core dump! I have reported this issue (I think I saw the same report from another user before) in the previous thread. Any comment on this one?

nikreiman
Spotify Legend

perlsite wrote:

nikreiman wrote:

• There is no tray icon

Playing Local Files still cause core dump! I have reported this issue (I think I saw the same report from another user before) in the previous thread. Any comment on this one?

What libavformat/libavcodec do you have? We require version 54 and there are known issues if you have other versions.

Senior Producer

By the way, how come that the Linux version is 64-bit only while MacOS and Windows are still 32-bit?

Seems the MacOS version is 64-bit already as well, so Windows is the only 32-bit version.

akdor1154
Music Fan

Looking nice :) Out of interest - why did you choose to drop Qt, and what are you using instead?

nikreiman
Spotify Legend
It's not really that we decided to drop QT, but rather it served as our native wrapper for the old client. The new client has a much different architecture, and our native wrapper is basically just a thin shell around CEF. Thanks to CEF we get all the platform integration for free, so there was no reason to introduce QT as a dependency.
TuxMark5
Music Fan

Does this new version of spotify client have a dbus interface?

I used the provided dbus interface in the qt version to setup global shortcuts for play/pause/next-song/etc so I wouldn't have to switch to spotify window each time I wanted to skip/pause current song.

kimiamania
Music Lover
Thank You! Finally I could have 1.x on linux. Is it just me or 1.x don't have icon anymore on the panel ?
cHagHi
Garage Band

Thank you!

One thing not mentioned in the known issues, and thus I don't know if it supposed to happen: I don't have a proper Spotify icon in the window decoration and the taskbar either. I know the try icon is missing, but I'm referring to the application icon. I see a generic X-Window icon.

Window decoration:

Taskbar:

Is this supposed to look like this in this version? Is there anything I could do to fix it? (I'm using Kubuntu 15.04)

Other than that is looking good, known issues considered.

I *really* would appreciate if you give the re-integration of D-Bus a higher priority. It's something standard/important in Linux land, which enables a lot of nice details/features (like integration with the sound applet/widget, and so on) that work perfectly fine in the previous version (0.9.17), and now are missing.

stbenjam
Music Fan

Good to see a Linux client, but sad you ignore Fedora again in favor of Debian-based distros.

Why not open source the client instead of keeping proprietary software secrets? Sharing is better.

And you'd have a much better chance of maintaining a high quality linux client.

dericke
Music Fan
I imagine some parts would remain blobs due to DRM, but they could open-source the interface code.
AlexMex90
Concert Regular

nikreiman wrote:
  • There is no tray icon

The tray icon is a bit trickier; in the 0.9.x client we got this from QT, which is no longer used in the 1.x client. We are currently evaluating how to best re-implement this feature.

Please don't simply add the tray icon. This is an obsolete and annoying thing that should go away or be optional. Unity and GNOME doesn't even have a system tray/notification area anymore.

http://design.canonical.com/2010/04/notification-area/

Previous Spotify versions used Ubuntu's sound menu perfectly but the tray icon appeared anyways, that created a duplicated function, without forgetting how bad was the icon resolution.

A good approach, I think, would be to have the option to turn on/off the tray icon, and defaulting to off in Unity, GNOME and Cinnamon and defaulting to on in other desktops. Or to have it default off entirely.

perlsite
Garage Band

nikreiman wrote:

perlsite wrote:

What libavformat/libavcodec do you have? We require version 54 and there are known issues if you have other versions.

Thanks! That was the hint I needed. On Arch Linux I have to run:

$ yaourt -S aur/ffmpeg-compat-54

Obviously I didn't have libavcodec installed.

Dark_Arc
Festival VIP
I agree, better integration with the DE's player control systems is far favorable to the tray icon.
CyberneticPizza
Music Fan

Running Mint 17.1 x64 with Marco window manager.   just updated and now it opens in full screen with no window icons.  I tried toggling F11 but that didn't work.  have to logout/login to get back to desktop. 

Dark_Arc
Festival VIP

stbenjam wrote:

Good to see a Linux client, but sad you ignore Fedora again in favor of Debian-based distros.

Why not open source the client instead of keeping proprietary software secrets? Sharing is better.

And you'd have a much better chance of maintaining a high quality linux client.

I don't really mind it being closed source, I mean it's a bit of a shame... But if we could get Fedora/rpm packages, that would be absolutely wonderful.

schuhumi
Garage Band

Nice to see progress! 

Three things make it unuseable for now though:

• Missing dbus support
  • It goes and stays fullscreen
  • Everytime I click on the spotify icon in the left tray in Gnome I get a new instance of the program instead of jumping to it. Also there's an additional iconless "Unknown"-program that represents the running instance. (This is linked with the generic X-Window icon problem)

System is Arch with Gnome 3.16.2. I'd be happy to share any additional info if it gets you anywhere

Also better focus on dbus support and skip the tray icon. Any desktop can do media player control, and an extra spotify icon is only an inferior solution circumventing the standard while also not looking too pretty...

Thank you very much for caring about Linux :heart:

Nico751
Garage Band

schuhumi wrote:
[...]
  • It goes and stays fullscreen

[...]

Also better focus on dbus support and skip the tray icon. Any desktop can do media player control, and an extra spotify icon is only an inferior solution circumventing the standard while also not looking too pretty...

Thank you very much for caring about Linux :heart:

For the fullscreen thing, here is how to fix it :

1. go to ~/.config/spotify
  2. open "window_position.prefs"
  3. set "app.window.position.width" to a much lower number (mine was 1440 and I set it to 144) and save
  4. close and restart Spotify

You should now be able to resize the window.

And personally, I already miss the tray icon. Without it, I've got to leave the Spotify window always open.

I disagree with @AlexMex90 and @Dark_Arc, I use Cinnamon and the tray icon is necessary because when you have more than one player open at the same time (e.g. Spotify and VLC) the default tray icon doesn't automatically know which one you want to control.

So please KEEP the tray icon!