Announcements

We’re updating Spotify for desktop – with fully integrated lyrics

meahtenoha
Spotify
Spotify

Today we’re launching a desktop update with new features and improvements. First of all, we’re making lyrics a seamless part of the Spotify experience on desktop. Powered by Musixmatch, the world’s largest lyrics catalogue, the ability to sing along to your favourite tunes is just a click away.

Simply fire up any song on our desktop app and hit the new Lyrics button. You can also search and browse popular lyrics from Spotify’s top songs using the Explore feature.

We’re not just making your next sing-along better though. Here are a couple of other new features we’ve been working on:

- New and improved Friend Feed: now it’s easier than ever to discover what the people you care about are listening to. Simply scroll down the sidebar to see what playlists, songs and artists your friends are enjoying.
- Introducing daily viral charts: serving you the most shared tracks around the world and in your region. Additionally, all charts now feature indicators to highlight new music and how tracks are performing day by day.

lyrics.jpg

These updates will roll out gradually to all desktop users over the coming weeks.

840 Comments
DannyFL
Roadie
Awesome. Thanks for working on this!
Matze
Roadie

How is this even news? The musixmatch app has been available for years. You just moved the button from the left panel to the bottom. 

Jordi
Community Legend

@Matze In the current Spotify version, MusixMatch was a third party app. As of Version 1.x, apps are discontinued. Lyrics is now an officially supported Spotify feature.

krikelin
Community Legend
But it seems like some few apps evolves into a hidden reincarnation of Spotify Apps for a very few set of partners.
venom517
Regular
"Hey guys, we're bringing you the best of new features this week. Introducing circles. With circles, we're making sure you're gonna HAVE to mouse over someone's activity to even read what was easily spotted before. Hey, why not constantly tinker with something that isn't broken, right? Oh, and lyrics too, I guess. But not yet."
Kristin_T

I have the new Friend Feed and actually find it harder to see what people are listening to. With the additional information and no album art, it's not a quick look. My eye isn't drawn to anything besides my friends' photos, which I don't particularly care about seeing on this platform. I have to stop and read through all that (small) text if I want to know what my friends are listening to. I love Spotify and have been a fan of every update so far, just not this particular one.

DannyFL
Roadie
I'm typically not just watching my friend feed... which is why I think it is just fine. I don't want to scroll through fifty songs just because somebody decided to go exploring... If I want to know that, I'm not too lazy to click it.
Jahnzilla
Roadie

Oh dear spotify. Has anyone actually expressed an interest in lyrics being "a seamless part" of the desktop app?

Again adding more unwanted functionality for the sake of it, and slowly removing other perfectly fine aspects of the experience.

Please stop thinking you know what we want! 

I'm mostly completely p*ssed off by the terrible change to the friend feed, a feature I loved. 

starlette
Casual Listener

I agree that the changes to the recent friend activity are not good.

I have a few friends that I like to get ideas from about what to listen to, and I used to do that by scrolling through the recent activity. Only showing me the last thing they've heard is no use at all!

Thankfully they are scrobbling to last.fm, so I guess I'll start keeping that open on my desktop...

Please fix this, Spotify. 😞

Jahnzilla
Roadie

I guess that is only ok if your friends use Last.fm!

Last.fm have had the social music sharing experience down for years, its a wonder Spotify has struggled badly with social integration for so long - and in fact seem to be going backward if anything.

Jahnzilla
Roadie

So basically, it wasn't an issue for you before and it isn't now, yeah? 

It seems to be a problem for other people, therefore the issue shouldn't be dismissed. 

user-removed
Not applicable

Is it really hard to bring search in playlist feature back ? (ctrl + F )

Your new features like, adding new stero system to car which has no wheel.

MissKitty614
Music Fan

Sorry, but I really dislike the new friend feed and it is now of absolutely no use. It was easy to see what friends were listening to before this update. Now, it is nearly impossible. Please change it back to its previous incarnation. 

kaywu

Please bring back the old activity feed. How is this new sidebar a "feed" of any sort if I have to manually scroll through it to see what my friends are listening to? The new sidebar **bleep**ing sucks, full stop.

OviiiOne
Community Legend

@user-removed wrote:

Is it really hard to bring search in playlist feature back ? (ctrl + F )

Your new features like, adding new stero system to car which has no wheel.

Thanks for your feedback, that feature is coming back to Desktop but Spotify haven't given an exact timeline. Keep an eye here in this thread for updates!

starlette
Casual Listener

Just to clarify, Jahnzilla -- I was being snarky with that comment about last.fm. Obviously I don't want to have to switch between two screens to find out what my friends are listening to! (And you know, possibly cancel my Spotify account as a result.)

I totally agree with you. This "update" is crap.

keezmanovich

We already know what our friends look like. We don't know what the albums they are listening to look like! This is terrible. 

palouse123
Casual Listener

Let's run down how awful the new Activity Feed update is.

1. I cannot see a recent list of songs the people I follow are listening to, only the most recent one.

2. I cannot see the album artwork, just their profile picture.

3. If a song title is too long, I cannot even see the full name of the artist, even after expanding the feed as wide as it can go.

4. If I follow some friends who are not regular Spotify users, their name and profile pic takes up space in my feed, which is just wasted space.

Who approves these design decisions?  This update makes one of the best features of Spotify virtually worthless. 

brolivia

I agree with all of the above feedback.

The new feed is really not intuitive. I loved being able to glance over and see what my friends were listening to, based on the album art. I also liked being able to see more than one track that my friends have recently played. The new feed just showing the most recent track is not helpful. Please change this back - the old feed was one of my favorite Spotify features and now I can't stand it!

user-removed
Not applicable

Had to add my thoughts here too because I am that disappointed:

Hello, I have been a spotify user for a few years. One of the reasons for my great appreciation for spotify has been its activity feed and, more broadly, its attempt at making the music experience a somewhat social experience. The old activity feed turned Spotify into an active communal musical experience. Aesthetically, it was really cool to see the flow of album covers off to the right as my friends listened to music. More practically, it was really cool to review their listening history to discover new music (among other things).  Little things, like seeing my friend repeatedly listen to a song that I recently added to our collaborative playlist was such a cool feature. In a way, the old activity feed and the collaborative playlist had a symbiotic relationship! While the old activity feed was not perfect, it was pretty fantastic and such a great draw! 

However, with the recent update, NONE of the above is possible. Aesthetically, it is rather unpleasing and it is somewhat difficult to discern what my friends are listening to. Many of my friends are not connected via facebook, so there are these generic greyscale avatars on my activity feed. I have to considerably expand the width of the activity feed bar to see the artist name.  Additionally, and more disappointingly, the feed is not reliable. For instance, I listened to Amos Lee's Violin and up to 15 minutes after I listened to it, and three songs played later, the feed still showed me as listening to Violin. 

After a few days of spotify use with the new activity feed and, if possible, I think it is even more useless than first thought. At work a couple of friends and I tested the reliability of the "feature." It is so unreliable that it truly is useless. One friend listened to music throughout the day and it never showed her as being logged in/listening. Others were stuck at listening to the same song for up to an hour.

As for positives, the timestamp feature is nice... 

Frankly, I find it hard to believe that a few people sat around a table and consciously decided that this iteration of the activity feed would be an improvement. For the first time, I have turned the activity feed off, and the spotify experience is not as unique an experience as there is one less thing separating it from the competition. While I am not saying that I will cancel my premium membership, I have started looking more closely at the competition.  And I have started listening to iTunes again for the first time in two years…at least I get to listen to Tool.

Sean

Blog Dashboard
Labels