Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Can’t share private playlists anymore?

Can’t share private playlists anymore?

So I just noticed I can’t share a private playlist anymore? Why is that a good update to push?

i want to make a playlist for someone special to me, but I don’t feel like it showing in my profile, it’s not mesnt for everyone to see.

Also I’m certain enough that they won’t feel like sharing to others the playlist they’re listening to on their activity feed.

Any information I need to know or something I’m missing?

thanks in advance!

12 Replies

Hey @teo_iwnl!

Thanks for checking with us on the Community.

We've made a few changes around the privacy of playlists and we've added more security to them.

Right now if you'd like to make a list that will not show up on your profile, but that you'd like to share with other people you can use the option ''Remove from profile''.

On the mobile app we offer the option to ''Make private'' which means that only you will be able to see the list.

Hope this info helps. Cheers!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Can the person you share a playlist with also share it to other people? If so, that is not ideal.

Hey @bsinkule,

Sorry for the late reply, we just came by this post.

We've recently implemented a new feature where owners of collaborative playlists can invite select collaborators, granting them editing permissions. Here's how:

1. Tap the three dots at the top of the playlist.
  2. Select Invite collaborators, then copy the invite link and send it to someone to grant them editing permissions, meaning they'll be able to add and remove tracks.

Note that you can still share the playlist with someone, without giving them permission to edit the playlist's content. This is done by choosing the Share option instead. People you share the playlist can view it, but cannot edit it. The playlist must also be Public in order for it to be accessed by others. If you don't want people, other than those select few whom you've granted editing permissions to view the playlist, you can set it to Private. That way only you and the collaborators can access it.

If one of the collaborators shares the playlist with someone else, they won't be able to edit the playlist's content. Only the playlist owner can determine who can add or remove tracks by inviting them as a collaborator.

More info about this feature can be found here.

Hope this clears things up. The Community is always here if there's anything else you need assistance with.

Cheers!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

I don’t have the 3 dots in my library to share a playlist. I don’t know why. I can’t share??? Please help. 

Hey @judyboyer-ca,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and welcome. 

Depending on the device you're on (iOS/Android - Windows/Mac), the 3-dot menu will be located in a different part of the screen. 

If you're on the desktop app, you need to select the playlist you want from your library, and once pulled up the 3-dot menu will be on the top of the songs, next to the Play and ♥ button.

In case you're using the mobile app, open the playlist you want to share and find the 3-dot menu at the top of the songs, but this time, next to the Invite collaborators button (if you own the playlist).

Hope this helps. If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to ask. 

OscarDCModerator

hi yordan,

this doesn't appear to be working. i'm trying to share a private playlist with a select person for them to listen (not contribute nor edit). i've send them the link under share > copy link to playlist. however, the recipient can't open it and get a "this playlist isn't available message".

please help, and thanks!

Hey @elanastern,

Thank you for keeping in contact.

To continue investigating, can you check if this happens only with that specific playlist, or if the error message appears sharing a different private playlists too?

Also, would you mind checking if it happens if the other user tries to open it in the Web Player instead of the app? This will give us a better look at the issue.

Lastly, could you ask that other user to send you a link to a private playlist to see if it happens backwards as well?

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator

Hello, i would like to share my playlist with my bestfriend, but the collaborations options isnt there. Theres only a share option.

Ps. Im using web player.

Please help, and thank you!

Hi @Perensap!

The Web Player doesn't support collaborative playlists, unfortunately. It's best you use the desktop or mobile apps instead. You can find out more on how collaborative playlists work in this article.

The Community is always here if there's something else you need assistance with.

Cheers!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hi there! 

I have the same problem as the others in this thread seems to. I have created a private playlist, but neither adding a collaborator or sharing the playlist works. The song appears grey to the person I'm trying to share the playlist with, and the message on the screen is something like "The songs are not available on your device". The person, with whom I'm trying to share the playlist, can't download the songs either. 

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I've added the songs from my private computer and created a private playlist, I can hear the songs just fine myself (after downloading them to my mobile phone). I don't, why it doesn't work when sharing it, though. Please help. 

Best regards, 

Mie

Hey @MisseMoeghe,

Thanks for posting in the Community!
In order to ensure that your local files play, one needs to have them on the respective device.
These songs do not get uploaded to the Spotify database and can therefore not be shared.

We're here for you if any further questions arise 🙂
Cheers!

VasilModerator

So, just to confirm, if I have a playlist I only want select people to be able to see I have to set the playlist to private, and then give anyone I want to be able to see it a collaborator link, is this correct?

No more secret playlists or removing playlists from profile options, just sharing a 1 week collaborator link, correct?

Suggested posts