Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

[Discover] Same (bad) songs keep appearing in my recommendations

[Discover] Same (bad) songs keep appearing in my recommendations

I enjoy the 'weekely recommendations' feature, but it seems that mine has ended up in something of a 'local minima'.

I will often find the same songs appearing in this playlist, and it will tend to be the ones I don't like very much; If I've liked a song, it will no longer appear , but I keep seeing songs I don't like being recommended!

I think this occurs where the same song occurs on multiple releases / albums / compilations (I like a lot of older music, which would make this happen more). So as far as the algorithm can tell, I've not heard the song before, but in actuality I'm hearing it a lot.

One solution might be to filter out songs where the title and artist are exact matches for those the user has heard before

Please let me know what you think

2 Replies

Hi @stephen_murray,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

That's actually a very valid point you've mentioned: often artists release singles before they release a full album, so a single you've actually heard before might still end up in your Discover Weekly or Release Radar, since it's now been released again under a different Spotify URI as part of the album.

One way to prevent the app from recommending stuff you aren't interested in is to actually tell it so. Here are a couple of features that may help improve the suggestions you get from Spotify:

1.) Hide song / Don't play this artist

On the mobile app, you can hide songs songs you don't want the app playing by tapping the three dots menu > Hide song. You can also open the artist's profile and select Don't play this artist.

There's also this idea about syncing the Hide song feature across all devices and all playlists, which you may find interesting, so feel free to check it out.

2.) Exclude playlist from taste profile

You can exclude playlists you aren't interested in so that the app doesn't suggest similar content in the future:

1. Open the playlist and tap the three dots menu (right-click if you're on desktop).
  2. Select Exclude from taste profile.

3.) Not interested

On the mobile app, you can curate the content in the Music subfeed of your Home screen. In case you find a suggestion that doesn't interest you, you can mark is as Not interested. More info on that here.

Hope this info was useful. Cheers!

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Stephen ~

I feel ya. This Monday is the second week in a row when I had to zap EVERY song of the 30 in the Discover Weekly. That makes a score of 0 of 60. A remarkable accomplishment if your goal is to annoy me on a Monday morning. Apparently because I listen to Lofi Beats when I take a nap (soothing, nonintrusive melodies), the Spotify algorithm flags this listening as something I want to hear all the time.

I love my sub, but YEESH on some of the features.

Suggested posts