Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Do clean versions of songs allow limited use of certain words?

Do clean versions of songs allow limited use of certain words?

So I have a "clean" rap and hiphop playlist that I listen to daily at work and I started to notice that a lot of songs seem to allow one use of the "n word" (uncensored obviously). The song that brought it up again was J. Cole Neighbors (https://open.spotify.com/track/4eSn3WcTUYdM5dYnSf7v8K?si=JYsD9NvJR3eJfX3TA4siPA). The first time he says it in the song it's uncensored but every time after and every other bad word is fine. Is this something like PG-13 movies where they're allowed to use one curse word and it's still ok? The problem becomes if every song in my playlist does this, it's not just one time. It's a small workplace and everyone enjoys the songs but I'm really trying to avoid a complaint or discrimination issue. What gives?

2 Replies

Apparently Spotify has some really good algorithms or hidden listening technology. I noticed the Metadata link above and clicked on it. This exact song was on my review list so I was able to flag it as explicit.

Often times, the "Explicit" tag is added by the label which provides the songs to Spotify. There is no way that every song could be checked for explicit content, even just the "clean" songs, so there are bound to be some that slip through. However, providing feedback on specific songs like you did is helpful for identifying the mistakes.

More info here

Suggested posts