Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Retirement of our Running Feature

Retirement of our Running Feature

Hey everyone, the Spotify Community team here.

We’re here to let you know we will be retiring our Running feature on 26 February 2018.

We always take retiring features in Spotify very seriously. We’re pouring our energy into new ways of creating the best experience for our users.

Of course, you can still workout with Spotify as your Running companion. You can find Running playlists in the Workout section of Browse section.

You can also connect your Spotify running music with an exercise app. Check out our support articles on Nike+ Run Club and Runkeeper for more information.

If you’re interested to learn more about how the app evolves, check out our article about testing and why features change.

Please post here with any questions or feedback you might have. We’ll be sure it reaches the right teams.

Thanks!

814 Replies

yep. great feature removed, and the replacement is clearly made by some work-experience kids who have never run to anything they make. Long minutes of synth- or keyboard-, or voice-only...and the tracks are not continuous. Long pauses between tracks. Inaccurate and varied BPMs. And they think, for some reason, that runners pounding out 5, 8, 12km want to listen to whole playlists of break-beats and drum-and-bass. Argh! Where's the frickin' continuous beat, at my running pace, from the previous feature!

Please bring them back. There’s nothing else like them I can find! 

Jup, already postet a review on apples app-store. 

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pacedj/id446225183

This works.  Hahaha.  Spotify, you are on the clock.  Fix this or I am gone to Apple Music in the next month.  

I posted a review to the Apple App Store. It took a few days to show up, but I recommend doing the same. I’d love for someone like Ars Technica to pick this up.

Really missing this feature. Let me know when you're pulling it out of retirement! Used this feature every time I went running. The range bpm lists are not sufficient.

Great idea!! Done - everybody else start doing this! If they get 600+ 1 star ratings perhaps they will have to listen

I'll do it, but I don't really know what you mean -- can you tell me how?

In this thread https://twitter.com/eldsjal/status/973572155433775104, there is a question about the #RunningOriginals and Daniel Ek replies that they should be availabel in the hub shortly. Is it the same as being available in Spotify or is the "hub" special somehow?

Thank you for disabling this before I started paying for service. You have helpled me to make my decision about which media service to sign on for.
Spotify was the front runner (pun intended) but this removes it from the competition. If this feature gets reintroduced, an email would have me paying to use it within a couple days. It has been a terrible loss for my workouts.

Thanks again, and have a great day.

Please bring this feature back. I loved running to the 'Your running mix'. Could you please at a mimimum bring the possibility to make playlists with a specified tempo? That would work for me at least.

Or why not just bring the feature back?

I might well cancel my premium subscription because of this. It was one of my favourite features, and I find I'm generally using Spotify less lately anyway.

Please think of all your users!

Dear team, as so many other Spotify fans stated: PLEASE BRING THE FEATURE BACK! I love running with Spotify and I'm addicted to the "Embrace" Playlist. Tried running without it yesterday, but it's really half the fun.

At least, you could bring back the playlist and let users choose their BPM manually, without the measurement?

Again: PLEASE BRING IT BACK

Best, Anna

Man, it was a great playlist! 

If you are on Twitter please consider tweeting to @eldsjal Daniel Ek,
Spotify's founder and CEO.

...and a friend posted this:

https://twitter.com/frankzulla/status/974067940822847489?s=21

He's better at words than me 😄

This was my only reason to pay for spotify premium beyond the thirty day trial! I loved not only that it matched my run but more importantly it found music in a STYLE I would like in my bpm. I now know or can approx my bpm and search based on that  but then  I get music that I don’t like. Checking to see if pandora or anyone else can match bpm to my musical taste. I was actually finding new music I liked!!!! So deeply disappointed

I have been a Spotify Premium subsciber since the day Spotify was released in the USA. I have tried iTunes with Apple Music and canceled the trial because I love Spotify so much more.

The Spotify Running feature has been my #1 go to feature since the day it was released. I was such a huge fan that I used that as a selling feature to friends who signed up for the service as well. I'm highly disappointed that this feature has been removed and hope that it will either make it's way back into the application or that you will allow users to do searches by BPM so that we can create our own playlists.

https://news.spotify.com/us/2018/03/12/john-hancock-spotify-running/

Sure Hancock asked them to disable it to push this (odd) promotion. Maybe
it’ll be back when it’s over.

Tested that out and wasn't overly excited about the playlists that were generated. I really do hope they bring the running feature back... 

Suggested posts