Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Song Order Within a Playlist Keeps Changing

Song Order Within a Playlist Keeps Changing

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

MacBook Pro/iPhone7P

Operating System

OSX High Sierra/iOS

My Question or Issue

I listen to the Friday Cratediggers Spotify Playlist every week to pick out what I like. Over the past couple of weeks, the order of songs will randomly change as I am listening (some tracks I haven't listened to yet will jump to the top of the playlist, while some I've already listened to will go to the bottom), this makes it hard to keep track of which songs I have already sorted through. I have noticed the same problem while listening on my iPhone as well. Please advise on whether this issue can be fixed. Thank you.

62 Replies

LOL they really just hit us with the "it's not a bug, it's a feature".

Can't say I'm surprised. But instead of closing this issue, you may want to consider keeping it open as a feature/change request, because as you can see in this thread, there are a great number of listeners who have reported a negative user experience due to this "expected behavior".

LOL they really just hit us with the "it's not a bug, it's a feature".

And it only took them two years!

Glad I'm not paying for this so-called "service" any longer. It's been nice listening to my CDs again.

The Daily Mix track order stays the same but about 5 songs in it starts to jump around to other areas of the list. I’ve even seen it, after only playing about 5 tracks, play a song that isn’t even on the listing. Then it will go back to one that’s on there. 

This only happens on Daily Mixes. Using my iPhone, iPad, and the app on Amazon. It occurs continuously throughout the night without the mix refreshing. I’ve un/re-installed on all devices. 

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

Hi, following problem customer support couldn't help me with.

I enjoy listening to the "This is.." playists.
(at least that's what they called in Germany)

Usually hear the lists twice. 1 time overview,
2nd time I save best songs in my "Fav songs"-playlist.
Since I can't get through all the songs in the lists in one go,
I make a note of the last song I listened to and continue next time.

Unfortunately, the lists are updated, i.e. certain songs are dropped, others are added,
the composition and order change
(EXAMPLE: today songs numbered 1-50 are in the list. Tomorrow 2, 17 and 34 will drop out.
Some songs change their order) or
(EXAMPLE: If I write down song 10 as the last song I heard today. It may be on the 5th or 25th position tomorrow
As a result, I either hear songs twice or not at all) or
EXAMPLE: if I look at the lists every day, I see that the total length differs)

Would like to have a fixed order 1-50 to be able to hear all songs once and not twice - is there a way?

SUMMARY:
Order and composition of songs in this is - playlist change over time, sometimes within days
I want that to avoid duplicated hearings or "missed" songs

I would like to save the list once so that I can listen to it in the same composition and order.

Thanks for a tip, best regards

So its May 2022 and it still does it. iOS, Android, any device, any playlist, any connection, any network. With (not) all due respect your "solutions" to the issue are in the same league as in broadband helpline companies; "Oh so your internet doesn't work? Have You tried to reset a router?" Come on Spotify, You're better than this. Its been draging on forever. 

Is there a way to make changes less frequent? Several times per hour it's quite too much.

Hey @CMungus,

I too love the This Is... best of artist playlists (for example, This Is Dua Lipa).  I listen to them a lot.

The behavior you describe is normal for the This is... playlists.  They do change every so often.  Some songs will be added, some will be dropped, and others rearranged.  From what I've observed, if an artist releases a new song, often that new song is placed near the top of the playlist and others rearranged a bit.  For example, when Potion by Dua Lipa, Calvin Harris, and Young Thug was released, it was placed at the top of the This is Dua Lipa playlist.  New Rules moved up, Sweetest Pie down, etc.

If you want to maintain the song order of a This Is... list you can create a new playlist in the desktop app and then copy the This Is... songs to that new copy.

What you've described is different than the issue I've posted about before, which is when song order changes within some Spotify-created playlists frequently (a couple times or more an hour) without ever leaving the playlist, the app, etc.  (i.e., there is no relaunch of the playlist).

HTH

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Samsung S10+, Samsung Tab A Lite, iPad Pro 11, Windows 10 and 11 computers

Operating System

Android Version 12 for S10+

Android V. 11 for Tab A Lite

Latest update for i0S

Hi @Yordan,

This behavior of songs randomly changing order many times per hour is still occuring in the latest iOS, Android, and Windows desktop apps.  It only happens on some Spotify-curated playlists.  It doesn't happen on playlists I create.  It also doesn't happen on albums or the This Is... artist greatest hits series.  It seems to happen on playlists where the algorithm is overaggressively trying to optimize the playlist.

I've posted playlist names and screen captures of songs jumping within those lists within just a couple of minutes.  I want to make clear that there was no relaunch of the playlist or app in those situations.  I was in the playlist, screen on, and listening and the songs just jumped around.  See my posts earlier in this thread and note the timestamps at the top:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Content-Questions/Song-Order-Within-a-Playlist-Keeps-Changing/m-p/5...

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Content-Questions/Song-Order-Within-a-Playlist-Keeps-Changing/m-p/5...

Also want to clarify that I'm not expecting Spotify playlists to never change order or content.  What I'm posting about is song order changing frequently -- multiple times an hour while remaining within the playlist and app (no relaunches).

Thanks.

I've been listening to the Honky Tonk Gospel mix playlist off and on today and it is updating/changing songs literally every few minutes it seems. We are at a completely different spot right now than when I first put it on about 10am this morning.

It definitely is happening as I'm listening - NOT only when I relaunch it. 

This sucks.

I'd like to add my name to this issue. I'm not going to go through the trouble of finding and giving all the details, as clearly that's a huge waste of everyone's time, not to mention I've done it before with no improvement.

I will say it is a very annoying experience to not be able to make it through a playlist without it changing, causing songs to be missed and repeated. It would be nice if someone would take initiative on this to have it addressed. I understand apparently this is expected for Spotify, but for most users, they expect to be able to at least listen to a whole playlist without missing or repeating songs.

Will be on the lookout for a better service since the general attitude from Spotify seems to be either this is not their problem or it is intended and we should just accept it even though it's dumb and we don't like it.

Our internal teams have taken a look at this and have confirmed that it's expected behavior.

This still makes me laugh. What a ridiculous showing.

I had a wonderful 60-song Spotify playlist shared with me last night, got through half of it and when I got up this morning and opened it up to finish, it was completely reshuffled.  I was hoping to note songs I really liked and now I have to start over and hope it doesn't reshuffle again.  If this is a "feature" it's an unwanted one.

Has there been a solution to this issue? I’ve tried all suggestions and still my Daily Mixes will start playing randomly after playing the first few songs in order. 

@Spotify mods:

I recently became a paying customer of Spotify (more because of my kids). About my background: I've been a usabitlity expert (software and hardware) for over 20 years and have worked for some really big global companies. I really need to comment on this thread now. Warning, long...

About my user experience with Spotify's "curated" lists:

• At first I was excited about a particular 11 hour list that had a lot of songs that I was really looking forward to.
  • Then, at a certain point, I thought to myself, "you already heard that yesterday," but at first assumed that there were songs in the list multiple times.
  • At some point I noticed that the order in the list was constantly changing. At this point I didn't feel like analyzing the logic behind it anymore. Surely this must be a bug...
  • I then checked if a random mode is active somewhere. First I made sure that the random icon was not active, which was not the case, so I searched the settings a few times for any function that could trigger this behavior. That wasn't the case either, and my annoyance grew. Someone is stealing my time here.
  • It became clear that some tracks I was looking forward to probably wouldn't be heard for another 4 weeks, or more likely never, but other junk in that time probably 10 times.
  • Then I came across this article on the net, which was really easy to find.

In short... something like this drives me crazy, both as a "normal" user and as a professional. Why isn't the function put on the random button, which is literally screaming for it??

Such software behavior is as unintelligent as a pound of mincemeat. The only way to hear the songs you want would be to copy them to your own list and then listen to that? What??

Unbelievable, but what's going on here completely misses the user wishes and then to advertise this as a "feature" is unfortunately a behavior that you often encounter when you either can't get the problem under control, or it simply has no priority in the tickets of either the product management or the development teams, which just confirms ignorance. I really had to laugh because this is something I know so well from my own experience in big companies. Doesn't anyone in your company fight for the users? This is disappointing!

Just the fact that the thread spans 3 full long years (feels like 30 in internet time) shows that users don't want this Spotify "feature" in this form... just understand that. And the fact that there have been no solutions to this for 3 years shows that you are simply ignoring user requests at this point. Sorry, I'm sure you're nice people, but that's how it comes across in the outside perception.

I can't believe that Spotify as a global player has to be given usabitity (and customer care) tips, but here are a few for free and I'm sure that you know them all very well:

• Follow the universal usability rule "Don't make me think"
  • Listen very carefully to customer requests and complaints and align your actions accordingly
  • Don't annoy the customer with features that she/he neither wants nor really understands the sense of
  • Never confront the user with undocumented features that are not self-explanatory
  • Make features that are not desired by a clear majority of users, but are still considered necessary in some sort of strange way, optional. In other words, put an option into the settings to customize the behavior of the software (I can't believe I'm writing this in 2023).
  • Don't leave well-intentioned features completely to algorithms and immature attempts with AI. I guess that is the real problem and also the reason why there is no solution offered. Too complex code and too much effort to improve it.

Okay, my 5 ct. ... take it or leave it, I will keep it the same with my status as Spotify customer. When I want to listen to the radio (and that's rarely the case), with no control over what I'm going to hear, I turn that on.

See this as a humble attempt on my part to fight for the time and nerves of your users.

This happens constantly (often several times in the space of an hour) while listening to Spotify-curated lists, and drives me utterly bonkers. Limitations, oddities, and bugs around song-play order are my biggest beef with Spotify. If I want to listen to something on shuffle, I'll set it to shuffle! Otherwise, I want it to play in sequence. Is this really such a difficult concept?

As a new user of Spotify (joined somewhere in the last 2 weeks) this is really infuriating me.

How am I supposed to go through a list of 120 songs if the order keeps changing and changing from hour to hour...?

Same problem 2023. Chose "Go to Radio" from a certain song. Never mind the platform (IOS, Mac, etc.), it never plays the songs as given in the order of the playlist, the more down you get in the playlist, the worse it gets. I think I will switch to another service. Spotify is too expensive for "a glitch" like this not being resolved for years now.

Thats why I will try another provider, I had this problem since I joined with Spotify but now it annoys me too much. Bye to Sweden!

This has been driving me crazy for years and unfortunately I've just come to the realisation that I will have to live with it.

The solution/fix which I have come up with is as follows:

Before playing I will go into a playlist, press the 3 dots and select "Add to other playlist". I will then create a brand new playlist which contains all of the same tracks. I can then play this playlist, stop, start and exit Spotify as many times as I like without the order of the tracks changing. Result!

Incidentally this issue only seems to occur with the official Spotify playlists.

Hopefully one day they will add this as an optional feature but until this time I will continue to use the method above.

Plan

Premium

Country

Romania

Device

MacBook Air M1

Operating System

Mac OS Ventura 13.6.1.

My Question or Issue

Ever since I updated the Spotify client to the last version on my MacBook, I've noticed that the song order in the public playlist Jazz Classics is randomly changed every few hours. This way I am losing track to which songs I already listened to and which not and I have to constantly go back to Recently played to check that. It is frustrating since this wasn't an issue up until I updated to the latest version of Spotify. By default the order is set to Custom order and I haven't made any changes to the order.

Current Spotify version:

Spotify for macOS (Apple Silicon)
1.2.24.756.g7a7fc7f0

Suggested posts