Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Still no Peter Gabriel?

Still no Peter Gabriel?

darn!!

I have been waiting for his solo works on Spotify for a year!!!

Such a great artist and wonderful music..

Welll, crap

59 Replies

Spotify say they already pay out 70% of all their income directly to record labels and artists, it comes down to will people be willing to pay more and for the most part the answer is no.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Spotify is mostly owned by the records labels....

That would explain everything, so it's the record labels paying out the artists such crappy returns.

Ok fair enough about the public paying more.
Obviously these days everyone wants everything for free.

As a music fan the less you pay the better but I would pay a higher subscription for spotify if it had everything on it.

Although I'm probably going to cancel the subscription because of the new layout and loss of the star feature.
Spotify should have given the option to keep the old layout.

As a musician I have probably given up on music unless I find an investor in the future.
I had a solo album out for a couple of years on all platforms, iTunes, spotify etc.. And I've taken it down because I would rather earn nothing from it than have someone else take most of the earnings.

It's all about deal. If artist created a deal with label and don't receive money, they can end deal and find better label that pays more than coffee moneys.

It is hard to compare artist and label share of work on a given album or track because their roles are so wildly different. We might say they are like a portion of food and a restaurant. Without neither, customer wouldn't get stomach full. Or at least did not use to: now that we have technology that enables both customer self service and artist to cook his raw meat and serve it by himself, this current artist share of around 0,002 euros per play is ridiculous.

Without knowing what the label share is, it is hard to say just how ridiculous it is. Since restaurants cannot exist without food, but food  certainly exists withouts restaurants, I would be perfectly happy if we started with fifty-fifty deals.

I wish labels were more transparent in their pursuit. It might first make them look uglier than we thought, but ultimately it would help their cause - because their current image next to a kiosk burglar certainly does not.

Marketing is probably the last chore left to labels because that is the last thing an artist wants to meddle with. But why wouldn't he or she buy that service separately from an add agency if needed?

spo

Just found out that the whole Peter Gabriel catalogue can be found in Google Music. In Finland, that is.
spo

Just stumbled across this post because I've just now found a Peter Gabriel song that I really want to listen to. Don't know if any executives read these things but if any are reading please add Peter Gabriel's albums. At least the album Scratch my back. The album is on the web player but it says unavailable when I try to get it on my phone. Begging the Spotify team to add more Peter Gabriel!!!!!!!!

Why isn't Peter Gabriel SO here?
This is one good reason for leaving Spotify!
image.jpg

@Sververen 

Not every album or song is available on Spotify.

The availability of music on Spotify is up to the artist and their music label.
Spotify has no control over what content is available.

Sometimes it is only available in certain countries, while access is blocked to others.

You can find out more information here

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Oh, man. This is one of the things Spotify is seriously lacking in. Rdio had his whole discography for a short while and I was able to get a glimpse of his genius.

Guess we need to stick with pre-1976 Genesis for now.

I noticed that some of his albums were available for a few days about a year ago for some reason. I really wish that everything of his was on spotify. I have the album SO and US on CD but whn I heard the remasterd versions on spotify during those few days, they were quite an improvement. I don't really understand the reason why Peter Gabriel isn't available on spotify UK. I am sure that in some countries it is available. He is British so we should have it!

Have a listen to this clip of Peter speaking and you may get a hint!

https://soundcloud.com/radiocite/spotify-pandora-artists-right-peter-gabriel

Wasn't able to listen to the clip so can only guess at his objection to streaming music.

The band Tool isn't available on Spotify, at least not here in the US b/c Maynard Keenan thinks an album should be thought of as a whole and not just single tracks. The same with Garth Brooks(rolls eyes)- which is all fine and good, but the argument falls flat when I hear a Tool song on the radio. Btw, radio is what old people like me used as a way to discover new music. Don't get started about tape trading...

Rant over-Smiley LOL

spotify:track:4rtcT9Av2Gdb0xy4ThujU6

Not able to listen? To me the link appears visible and can be copied/pasted, although I suspect if you can't click to go directly it may be so people aren't posting links to music on other sites.

Radio pays better royalties and does so transparently through long-standing, published agreements. There is very little to compare in the models - and the only likeness is that, yes, you can discover music through both.

Agreements that Spotify have done with labels have been masked and often when Spotify gives statements about "how much we pay artists" they are actually talking about how much they pay record labels, who when pay a certain amount to the artist. Neither of those things go to a composer, so that is left to when publishing amounts are divided up - and again that's 'commercially sensitive' deal where even the composers are not allowed to know the figures. Suffice to say it's an incredibly poor return so some writers and artists are justified in not being happy about it.

Tape trading was a huge trend at the time when sales were way bigger still. This difference now is that it's not the public but the distribution companies in conjunction with their label 'partners' who are affecting returns to creators for consumption of music.

I have seen the "I love Peter Gabriel" - "why can't I hear his music on Spotify?" question/complaint in many places and it has a clear answer. The obvious path is to buy the music directly or in a way that rewards his efforts. It doesn't matter how well off he is, what stage he is at in his career - it's about his music and its value, not any fan's supposed entitlement to be able to consume it for free, of course.

Idk- this is what I get from the link- An Unexpected Error has occurred. Your request failed. Please contact your system administrator and provide the date and time you received the error and this Exception ID: 3D286194. Click your browser's Back button to continue The reason Maynard says Tool is not on Spotify has nothing to with royalties it about the artistic integrity of the album as a whole. As for the "transparency" of long standing publishing agreements with radio royalties, that is a joke,right? An artist should be compensated fairly and be able to control how their work is disseminated and if they don't want to stream music more power to them.

I have no idea who Tool are was not referring to them. I came to answer the question "Still no Peter Gabriel?" with an explanation in his own words. The link is visible and can be copied elsewhere.

As for radio royalties, no it wasn't a joke. I suspect we live in different countries. Peter's music is administered by PRS, him being a UK writer based in the UK, and I can only speak for this territory and not any sub-publishing agreements in other areas.

You might want to listen to my playlist with available tracks then: https://open.spotify.com/user/1139245365/playlist/0XFPt077n3yCWjIbOrW42R

It contains the ones from his last live album, an old Genesis live album and all sorts of collaborations based on the Wikipedia article about him.

Presumably those are tracks where he has no control over their exposure.

Bump.

Putting in another vote that Spotify get off their butts and solve the challenges (financial, creative, techncial - whatever) that prevent them from including critically important works from artists like Peter Gabriel, Tool, King Crimson, etc.

OR - make it a lot easier to mix our own music with the streaming content so we can integrate playlists between streams and local content across PCs and mobile devices.

Thx.

Speaking of Gabriel...the one Genesis record that still isn't available on Spotify is their best one - "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" - the last one they recorded with Peter. Since every one of their other records is on Spotify, I still don't understand why The Lamb isn't.

Suggested posts