Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Ubuntu 16.04: Ads do not play, Spotify is stuck.

Solved!

Ubuntu 16.04: Ads do not play, Spotify is stuck.

Over the last few weeks I've had an intermitten issue in which Spotify will attempt to play an ad and the ad never plays leaving Spotify essentially bricked. Attempting to change songs displays the "The selected song will be played after the ad" but the ad never plays. In the past, restarting Spotify would often correct this issue, however, this issue has become persistent now.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Last week I uninstalled spotify (sudo apt-get remove spotify-client) and reinstalled using instructions at http://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-install-spotify-in-ubuntu

This seems to have cured the problem (so far! ...).

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Hey @solarsnowfall,

Welcome to Spotify Community!

I think I've seen this issue before. 🙂

@jooon do you have this one in the bug tracker for the Linux client?

I tried doing a search before posting but most of results I found seemed related to songs not resuming after the ad successfully played.

So to follow up, I let Spotify stand and after about a half hour of silence it resumed playing music. After playing the next song ads also played successfully.

So to ad additional information, this issue seems to occur after a new application session has begun, the first song has played and the first ad break has begun.

Yes, I have seen similar variations of this, that might be the same problem. The only bug that is in the tracked internally that look similar is the crash by mp3 ads. This could be an mp3 ad or a new ad format that hangs the linux client instead of crashing it, but I am not sure yet. I will add a new bug and link it to this post and others that describe the same problem.

I will ask the ad team which ads are live and see if I can recreate the problem.

I also have this problem.  Does spotify know about this and will they do anything about it?  I'm on Ubuntu 16.04

Hi. I have the same problem since 1 month aprox:

When a song ends and an ad is about to start it stucks, with the progress bar at the end (of the song). I can't do nothing, and if I try to play a song it says "The selected song will be played after the ad". If I restart Spotify it let me play some songs, and some ads works fine, but at some point it plays an ad that stucks the application again.

I'm with Ubuntu 16.04. There is some fix or workaround besides close and reopen?

Marked as solution

Last week I uninstalled spotify (sudo apt-get remove spotify-client) and reinstalled using instructions at http://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-install-spotify-in-ubuntu

This seems to have cured the problem (so far! ...).

Thank you! This (re-installing) also worked for me!

This worked for me (for now). Thanks!

I had the same problem on 17.04.

I did that, and even purge, but didn't work. Any suggestions?

It's because you have the ad blocker on. I had the same problem, except no ads would play and my music would freeze up so I couldn't listen to anything. Simply go into your malware protection application and turn off the ad blocker for spotify only. Then you'll hear the ads and your music as well. Hope this helps!

Suggested posts