Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

2 problems. The volume level and program launch mode settings do not work in the tray.

2 problems. The volume level and program launch mode settings do not work in the tray.

Plan

Premium

Device

(Desktop. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (16) @ 3.600GHz. GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti.  Memory: 32GB)

Operating System

(OS: Arch Linux x86_64. Kernel: 6.1.11-arch1-1. DE: Cinnamon 5.6.7)

Sound server
PulseAudio

Written via google translator
1. Problem with sound
I installed spotify on my computer and found a problem with the sound. Music from the service plays half quieter than everything else on the simtem and in other players. In the settings I found the option to select the volume depending on the noise, and I wanted to set the "loud" mode. But no matter what mode you choose, the sound level does not change at all.
I tried to find a solution, I searched for answers on the Internet and the forum for a long time, but I did not find my case. I checked on the phone there is a good change in the volume level. But on the computer, in the disktop application, in the browser it always plays as if in the "normal" mode, no matter what choice I make.

At the same time, music added to my media library locally, on the contrary, always plays only loudly, like everything else in the system. This discrepancy causes a lot of inconvenience when listening to music in mixed playlists.
My only guess is that either the spotify application on the Linux PC of my distribution is poorly made. Either the problem is in pulseaudio, which needs to be tuned up or something needs to be installed, which will be mentioned in the second problem. In the mixer of pulseaudio itself, spotify with the settings looks right, like all other applications.

2. The problem with the launch.
In the settings there are options for how to launch the application and how it should behave when closed. There is an item minimize to tray. But all these options do not work, the application does not minimize at all, but simply closes and there is no tray icon.

When I needed to connect my local music from my computer to the spotify desktop. In order for it to work, the Arch Linux forum wrote that it is necessary to install 2 packages zenity and ffmpeg4.4.
This makes me think maybe you also need to install something additionally so that the sound settings and startup mode work?
But I don't know what and I can't find the answer.

Outcome. In both cases, there are options in the settings that are active, visually they change, turn on and off. But they don't really work.
The image is an example of non-working settings.

2023-02-21_14-45.jpg
1 Reply

After looking at some other topics where they give recommendations for improving the sound quality, I came to an indirect solution to the problem by editing the "prefs" config.
In line
audio.loudness.environment=
It is required to set the value 4
In this case, the parameter must be disabled in the settings. Volume normalization. Otherwise, it will reset the first line to 2.
It was because of the Volume Normalization that I did not manage to immediately come to a working solution, although I already tried to edit the "prefs" config.

If there is no audio.loudness.environment= parameter in the file. It can be created manually or by running a spotify with Volume Normalization set to "loud".

2023-02-21_16-12.jpg

Suggested posts