Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Linux (Lubuntu) Spotify Bluetooth earphone controls

Solved!

Linux (Lubuntu) Spotify Bluetooth earphone controls

Hi

I am using Spotify on Lubuntu 18.04 (just downloaded it today 10/05/2018), and I am sad to say that my Bluetooth pause button does not work.

To test that it is a problem with Spotify and not my Lubuntu installation, I have verified that the Bluetooth buttons work with VLC player.

Can this be implemented? 

A possible solution: Because I am using Lubuntu within VirtualBox, I am sure I can whip up a simple AutoHotkey script that RCtrl+Space could trigger sending a Space to VirtualBox, and therefore the application, as per the keyboard shortcuts found here:

https://support.spotify.com/uk/using_spotify/system_settings/keyboard-shortcuts/

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Just to give some information about my set up...

On my computer I am running Windows 7, but because it is a work computer, Spotify fails to be installed.  Therefore I am running Spotify within a Lubuntu (lightweight Ubuntu) VirtualBox.

Because sometimes I need to very quickly pause Spotify (e.g. I am required to go for a meeting), I needed a quick key-combo to press which would pause/play Spotify, while I am outside of the virtual machine. 

I ended up writing this AutoHotkey script, that when you press RightControl+Spacebar it would Activate the virtual machine window, send space, and then reactivate the window that was currently active:

>^Space Up::
    DetectHiddenWindows, On

KeyWait, RControl
    activeWindowID := WinExist("A")
    virtualBoxWindowID := WinExist("Lubuntu ahk_exe VirtualBox.exe")

if (activeWindowID <> virtualBoxWindowID) {
        WinSet, Transparent, 0, ahk_id %virtualBoxWindowID%

WinActivate, ahk_id %virtualBoxWindowID%
        SendInput {Space}

WinHide, ahk_id %virtualBoxWindowID%      
        WinMinimize, ahk_id %virtualBoxWindowID%
        WinActivate, ahk_id %activeWindowID%

WinSet, Transparent, Off, ahk_id %virtualBoxWindowID%

WinShow, ahk_id %virtualBoxWindowID%      
    }
return

It is pretty simple to use AutoIt to do the same if you were inside of Linux, not inside of a virtual machine.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Marked as solution

Just to give some information about my set up...

On my computer I am running Windows 7, but because it is a work computer, Spotify fails to be installed.  Therefore I am running Spotify within a Lubuntu (lightweight Ubuntu) VirtualBox.

Because sometimes I need to very quickly pause Spotify (e.g. I am required to go for a meeting), I needed a quick key-combo to press which would pause/play Spotify, while I am outside of the virtual machine. 

I ended up writing this AutoHotkey script, that when you press RightControl+Spacebar it would Activate the virtual machine window, send space, and then reactivate the window that was currently active:

>^Space Up::
    DetectHiddenWindows, On

KeyWait, RControl
    activeWindowID := WinExist("A")
    virtualBoxWindowID := WinExist("Lubuntu ahk_exe VirtualBox.exe")

if (activeWindowID <> virtualBoxWindowID) {
        WinSet, Transparent, 0, ahk_id %virtualBoxWindowID%

WinActivate, ahk_id %virtualBoxWindowID%
        SendInput {Space}

WinHide, ahk_id %virtualBoxWindowID%      
        WinMinimize, ahk_id %virtualBoxWindowID%
        WinActivate, ahk_id %activeWindowID%

WinSet, Transparent, Off, ahk_id %virtualBoxWindowID%

WinShow, ahk_id %virtualBoxWindowID%      
    }
return

It is pretty simple to use AutoIt to do the same if you were inside of Linux, not inside of a virtual machine.

Suggested posts