Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Linux Spotify client 1.x now in stable

Solved!

Linux Spotify client 1.x now in stable

In June 2015 we released version 1.x of the client for Linux in the testing repository.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Community-Blog/Spotify-Client-1-x-beta-for-Linux-has-been-r...

The intention was to fix a few of the bigger issues and then quickly move this to stable. That never happened, since after September, we have had no developers working on the linux client. There are still lots of problem with this version of the client for linux, but we are now seeing much more problems with the old client.

Known linux specific issues in 1.0.23

Most of these we want to fix, but others (like missing tray icon) we probably won't. Link to threads with more issues you have and I will try to add them here. If you can't find your issue already reported, create a new thread and follow this troubleshooting guide for linux.

From now on, the idea is to first release a client to the testing repository as soon as possible, when it is ready internally, then after a week or so if we haven't discovered any serious new crash bug that affects lots of users, it will move to stable. Most of the time, a new linux release will have no linux specific changes, only the changes it shares with the mac and win clients.

Stable repository

To install a client from the stable repository follow the instructions on https://www.spotify.com/download/linux/

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys BBEBDCB318AD50EC6865090613B00F1FD2C19886
echo deb http://repository.spotify.com stable non-free | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install spotify-client

Testing repository

To install a client from the testing repository, follow the same instructions, but replace the word stable with testing.

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys BBEBDCB318AD50EC6865090613B00F1FD2C19886
echo deb http://repository.spotify.com testing non-free | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install spotify-client

262 Replies

Same here Mint 17.3 64-bit Cinnamon. You can open infinite Spotify!
Also, while music plays if you click the sound icon on panel you could see playing sound and cover but now all I can see is unknown artist.

I believe this approach is completely unprofessional and I would absolutely not expect this from a Swedish company like Spotify with more than a 1000 employees. The Ubuntu standard client would not install due to an unmet dependency, then you install the test version and then it lacks core functionalities, which was already available for years in the older version, like the possibility to minimize the client to the tray where it belongs. Your latest Ubuntu client is a pain to use. No matter how small the community using this client is, shipping broken software is just a horrible practice.

I really hope that you will reconsider your strategy with regards to your linux client, because this state is absolutely not acceptable from a paying customer perspective.

Another premium member here. surely you could put a little effort into the linux client, realsing broken code like this is just stupid and makes me want to jump ship to google play.

Is it possible to arrange a class action lawsuit because of negligence to maintain software?

Actually it is an ethical problem.

It should not come to that point but even it comes I do not think we do not have that right unless it is written in "agreement" like "It is available linux/mac/windows/android etc". You can not choice not to update one of these platforms cause you promised already.

In case of, the old version is avaiable at http://repository.spotify.com/pool/non-free/s/spotify/

Another premium member and linux user, feeling pretty bad after reading spotify doesn't care about linux users.

This really pisses me off. You could of at least told us sometime withen the last 6 months that no one was working on the linux app. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL!!!

This new update is completely broken and unusable!

I've posted this thread to HackerNews to try to raise awareness.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11220294

Was considering to buy premium, but after this update... not a chance. No tray icon? Really?!

I agree with the previous posts in this thread. Even if the number of Linux users compared to OS X/Windows is small, I believe that we deserve the same service quality when we pay the same monthly subscription as the users of other platforms.

As it has been already pointed out, this is highly unprofessional attitude.

Version 1.0.23 is way below even beta version quality, it barely acts as some nighly build.

Therefore I hope that Spotify will make things right and fix issues in 1.x.x versions to match at least 0.9.17 quality. Otherwise I will have to think about switching to the other streaming service.

Hi jooon,

All in all I'm happy with Spotify, it's a great service. However, as a premium subscriber and Linux user I would appreciate if Spotify hired at least one developer for Linux. I hope to be subscriber for a long time, but only if I can use Spotify on Linux.

I think the 0.9.17 client worked perfectly fine with most distros and DEs, it just needs to be updated for the latest libgcrypt.so.  I always have to manually install libgcrypt.so.11 in ever newer distro in order to get the 0.9.17 client to work properly.  

Maybe just do a new build with the 0.9.17 client using ubuntu's snappy package build or xdg-app? so it's more universal going forward. that way you don't have to keep all the libs up to date and it still runs like it always has?  just worry with updated features when there's a new dev available to make it work correctly. 

I've been subscribed to Premium ever since I found out how well spotify ran on Linux.

This update is awful, why would you push an update that is clearly worse than the previous version? Doesn't even show up on my tray... how do you do that accedentally?

Why pay for subscription to an underdeveloped product?

Edit:

sudo apt-get remove spotify-client
sudo apt-get install spotify-client-0.9.17

How to ge the old version of spotify back

Which operating system you use as a core of your services? Ubuntu? Other Linux distribution? Do you pay Canonical/Others for support? No? Then why ffs you cant say simple "thank you Linux and Ubuntu community for providing such a good solution (Linux for servers) for core of your services. Without your effort and kidness we would not be able to create this company. That is way we will hire one developer for Linux version of our client."?

Sry for my bad English but i have family subscription for a lot of time and i will probably cancel it, because you treat me like a second-class member.

I am really disappointed of how the Spotify Desktop Linux version is being developed. As a premium subscriber, I cannot accept how Spotify neglects its users. A whole year has passed since version 1.x and many issues still remain. Now, Spotify should make a choice, either:

1. Hire a full-time developer to tackle those issues

2. Or, provide the sources to develop an open-source community to handle the software

In the mean time, we should all contact the commercial and technical support service to fill a complain. This is not a right way for Spotify to treat its customers !

Or stop developing Linux Desktop Client as many pathetic companies, that use Linux for other purpose, did.

Minimizing to tray is very important thing to have... please hire someone for a couple months to fix those Linux specific things.

First of all, kudos for trying to bring spotify Linux client on-par with Mac and Windows counterparts however, there are some serious missing parts in the picture.

Disclaimer: I'm a Linux developer by profession & a premium subscriber.

First things first: New player has features, but it feels less complete the previous version, because it was playing nicer with many subsystems in Linux much better. It may be said before, but I want to tell them in a compact and concise manner, again.

1. Volume is set to 100% on startup, on random: This is a big no-no in my book. It was working well before, in coordination with PulseAudio and other components. So it always restored its volume level. Now it sets to 100% at random. Combined with powerful speakers (at home, at night) and headphones (at work) it's disturbing at least, ear damaging at most.
  2. No tray icon: Seriously? I listen music all day at the background. Why can't I put my background activity program to background? This is a functional requirement and simple logic. I don't think a tray icon is "The Hardest Thing (TM)" in Linux Software Development
  3. Media Buttons Integration & KDE MediaPlayer Extensions: I listen to music all day long at the office and I use my keyboard media buttons instinctively while I get up from my desk. It's a simple integration and a time saver for me. Also KDE integration was kinda nice (because it was a natural extension of the integration).

They are big problems because they were working before. These functions were present and was working wihtout any problems. Spotify has the knowledge and code parts to make them happen.

I think, it's acceptable to talk about potential users, business sense and other management decisions when you don't have a Linux client or these features beforehand, but you had all these features working and you have a good Linux client. Why don't improve more? Why don't make it proper again?

You've made it before. You can make it again.

I want to use your primary services Spotify. Please don't make it hard for me.

I'll just say that the reason I'm currently a Spotify subscriber is the fact that there is a native Linux client.  Without this, I probably would have chosen one of the other available options.  The state the Linux client is in now though is not good.  Still usable, but not good.  If it gets any more objectionable because of neglect, or abandonment, I'll probably be looking elsewhere for my needs.

Suggested posts