Premium

Country

France

Device

Desktop

Operating System

Ubuntu 19.04

My Question or Issue

The linux desktop client appears completely offline through my VPN (ExpressVPN)

It appears to be solely a linux client bug

it works through the web client and the same VPN

it works through the windows client (virtual machine) and the same VPN

it works through the android app and the same VPN

Both the debian package and the snap behave this way

18 Replies

Re: Linux desktop client offline through VPN

dlu
Gig Goer

I suspect that the problem is rather in your VPN/network setup. My Linux desktop client works even when I am connected to my VPN (not ExpressVPN, though).

krisstarsanspar
Regular

I've been having the exact same problem, also using Ubuntu 19.04 and ExpressVPN. For the record, Spotify was working fine with the VPN connected on the previous version of Ubuntu, but then when I installed Ubuntu 19.04 and Spotify on a new computer, suddenly Spotify can't find an internet connection unless I disconnect the VPN. I've tried everything that's been recommended to fix it, including a clean reinstall and changing the DNS options for my wireless connection and the proxy options in Spotify. I'm currently working in China; using a VPN is not optional. It should not be necesary to choose between checking my gmail and listening to my music.

dlu
Gig Goer

I just registered for ExpressVPN and tried their manual OpenVPN config with an endpoint in my country on my Ubuntu 19.04 desktop. My spotify client still works. What vpn endpoint did you use?

krisstarsanspar
Regular
I usually connect to either LA or Hong Kong. I tried switching the endpoint without results. I usually avoid changing the VPN settings unless necessary, because living in China, the connection can be very finicky and changing anything means it can't get through the firewall.

dlu
Gig Goer

Los Angeles 1 and Hong Kong 2 both work for me.

krisstarsanspar
Regular
Just tried several alternate locations (including hk2; usla1 is not available), but Spotify is still getting error code 4.

dlu
Gig Goer

Do you know how to read tcpdump and/or wireshark output? I would shut down any application that uses the network, start a wireshark session and run spotify again.

Hug0B
Casual Listener

Same, switching the location doesn't help. I have also just tested the ExpressVPN client on fedora 30 with the same results.

Maybe it works for you because you set up the manual openVPN configuration instead of using the ExpressVPN client ? It doesn't seem very practical to use in my case though.

dlu
Gig Goer

Maybe it works for you because you set up the manual openVPN configuration instead of using the ExpressVPN client ?

Maybe. I cannot check any more, as I already cancelled the test account. However, if this were the case, then you can test manual OpenVPN config as well and report the spotify issue to ExpressVPN.

SUGGESTED POSTS