Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Linux users: important update

Linux users: important update

Hello Linux users,

We have an important update for you all that is effective as of today.

You might get some warnings when running Spotify. To fix this problem, you'll need to run the following command:
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys D2C19886

For further instructions, see our Linux installation page:

https://www.spotify.com/download/linux/

In the future, this will not be a problem for Linux users. Thanks everyone!

91 Replies

Just wondering if there were any major changes in the most recent version of spotify for Linux, because the most recent version no longer plays any audio on my laptop.  I don't use pulse audio, but alsa worked just fine until the most recent version.

Same issue here, doesn't work without pulseaudio 😕

If you want the stable version of Spotify (0.9.8) to work on Ubuntu 15.10, libgcrypt from a previous version must be installed to get libgcrypt.so.11 :

sudo apt-get install gdebi
wget http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/libg/libgcrypt11/libgcrypt11_1.5.3-2ubuntu4.2_amd64.deb
sudo gdebi libgcrypt11_1.5.3-2ubuntu4.2_amd64.deb

When asked, press y and then return. Then Spotify should work.

SpotCommander - The most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich & universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!

I checked - libgcrypt 1.5.0.5+deb7u3 is installed on my Xubuntu 15.10
AMD64 - laptop Acer Aspire 5050 - spotify works (streaming, browser,
etc.) but does not play any local files (mp3 and others)...
The same situation on desktop with Xubuntu 15.04.
Synchronisation with android is so discrete that at first I did not
notice that it is possible... - works well.

What is left to correct - change the way spotify treats local music files...

Thank you for your time

@Poltiser wrote:
I checked - libgcrypt 1.5.0.5+deb7u3 is installed on my Xubuntu 15.10
AMD64 - laptop Acer Aspire 5050 - spotify works (streaming, browser,
etc.) but does not play any local files (mp3 and others)...
The same situation on desktop with Xubuntu 15.04.
Synchronisation with android is so discrete that at first I did not
notice that it is possible... - works well.

What is left to correct - change the way spotify treats local music files...

Thank you for your time

Are you running the stable or the beta version?

Regarding local files playback, try:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

If it still doesn't work, start spotify from the command line with the command "spotify" and play a local file and paste the error message here.

SpotCommander - The most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich & universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!

For those who want to install the latest Spotify stable version on Arch Linux, Fedora 23, openSUSE 13.2 or openSUSE Leap without having to mess around, I have just made it really easy. Do not worry, it supports Spotify Connect, and you can use it with SpotCommander for instance, which does not yet support the beta due to a bug in the D-Bus implemenetation (no reponse when asking for PlaybackStatus).

Arch Linux 64-bit:

https://github.com/olejon/spotcommander/wiki/InstallOnArchLinux#install-the-latest-spotify-stable-ve...

Fedora 23 64-bit:

https://gist.github.com/olejon/54473554be2d4dbacd03

openSUSE 13.2 and openSUSE Leap 64-bit:

https://gist.github.com/olejon/c444ac99d7b6625e458f

Note: If you have already messed around, you should "unmess" it first. If you have installed the beta, you would typically run "sudo pacman -Rs spotify" on Arch Linux, "sudo dnf remove spotify-client" on Fedora or "sudo zypper rm spotify-client" or "sudo zypper rm spotify" on openSUSE. But this depends on how you installed it.

I think you don't apreciate what people are trying to tell you - if ubuntu restricted extras are not installed - gstreamer system would not work at all and most of us use it from the first moment of installing audio system on any ubuntu. 

In spite of all the supporting pulse audio, alsa and gstreamer files istalled - spotify does not play mp3 or any other local audio files.

Using spotify I can see the list of files but they do not play at all.

Any other player - like vlc, does the job very well, on the same system, using ubuntu restricted extras.

Best regards

Hello everyone

I tried to install Spotify on my Linux and followed the steps that Spotify describes on its Linux download page.

After the last step I got the following:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree        
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
 spotify-client : Depends: libssl0.9.8 but it is not installable
                  Recommends: libavcodec53 but it is not installable or
                              libavcodec52 but it is not installable or
                              libavcodec-extra-53 but it is not installable or
                              libavcodec-extra-52 but it is not installable
                  Recommends: libavformat53 but it is not installable or
                              libavformat52 but it is not installable or
                              libavformat-extra-53 but it is not installable or
                              libavformat-extra-52 but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Can you suggest something that could solve it?

Many thanks!

It would be a bit more practical if you write what linux are you using and what mode of installation are you trying to deploy - binary like in debian .deb file or compiling from source.

I use Xubuntu and from 14.04 till 15.10 - I did not have problem to install spotify. Missing dependencies were easy to find on line. The only trouble there is with spotify player - it does not play local files - and it would not untill the programers include a technology to do so...

But if you are after streaming from spotify - in Ubuntu it works very well...

For everything else I personally prefer VLC (video, music, radio).

Regards & Merry Christmas

Hi

Oh yes that is right, sorry.

I have Ubuntu 15.10, compliling from source.

I don't want to use it for local files, only streaming.

Thanks

I don't have much time for compiling such a complicated programs like spotify. I used binary install of stable and beta versions on 2 komputers and they work (Xubuntu). It would help you if you try them (using gdebi). If you should fail - gdebi shows which program is missing as dependncy and you can locate it on line.

After you would have succided with binary install - compilation shoud be without errors - I hope!

I hope I helped - wishing you luck!

Hey hello spotify people!

I have a question, we have a Philips Smart TV with Andoid, and Spotify app is not there. I want to download Spotify for Linux. Can anywone help me on this.
Many Thanks

On Android, you will probably want Spotify for Android rather than Spotify for Linux.

Yes, true, but when I went to Spotify.com on the browser it was saying get Spotify fro Linux.

I also saw in the google playstore an app: Android for Spotify, but it couldn't play the playlists. It crashed.

anyone suggestions? Thanks

If the web suggest Linux client when using some Android browser, then I would consider this as a bug of the Spotify web. Well, you probably could theoretically run the Linux version of Spotify client on Android, but this is hardly what you want (as it is intended for desktop) and requires some skills (because running Linux desktop applications is not what it was intended for, though it is possible).

If the Spotify Android app crashes when trying to play, I would report that. The least what you can do is to use the “Report” button when the application crashes. Or you can discuss it in the Android section.

Hi all 🙂

On my Linux-laptop I have Spotify version 0.9.4.183.g644e24e0. Is that the latest version? When I run apt-get update I don't seem to get a new version. Is there a new version? How do get to update?

Running Ubuntu 14.04 32 bit, btw.

On Debian 8 (Jessie), I have version 0.9.17.g9b85d436. Note that this version does not look like anything very new, the about dialog shows “Copyright © 2014 Spotify AB“.

BTW, on Jessie, I had to install one library from Wheezy (AFAIK libgcrypt), because Spotify requires some outdated version of it. This workaround is generally not recommended, but since the VM is dedicated to Spotify, I've added the Wheezy repository to repository list. (Rationale: This was needed to get Spotify working under Jessie. Since the VM is there just for Spotify, this hack can at most break Spotify.)

I am not sure how much it is maintained if there is obviously no update for more than one year and latest Debian does not seem to be supported without need of hacks. I am afraid I will be forced to either use some unsupported Debian version (which might be justifiable with dedicated VM, but I generally can't recommend using a system without security updates) or use some other solution.

This is the latest version you will find on the stable server.  The real latest version for linux is 1.0.19 and you can find it on the testing server.

If you have followed the procedure described in https://www.spotify.com/us/download, as root edit the file 

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list

and replace the word "stable" with the word "testing" on this line:  

deb http://repository.spotify.com stable non-free

Save the file and as root, execute:  apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade to update your existing version.  Reboot your system before running the new version for the first time.

Hmm, this looks like a good idea:

* I can get rid of libgcrypt11 (and of Wheezy repo at all).
* It supports lyrics 🙂
* Fresher look

I'll try to check if my issues with inconsistent play queue syncing
behavior* disappear with the new client and then decide if I'll renew my
Premium subscription. I don't believe so (and the annoying inconsistent
feature still does not seem to be configurable), but it might work better.

*) see
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/Sharing-the-queue-between-devices-works-inconsistently...

Suggested posts