Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local versus cloud storage of private MP3s - perhaps the only feature where Spotify falls short

Solved!

Local versus cloud storage of private MP3s - perhaps the only feature where Spotify falls short

(Mods, it is kinda unclear to me where this topic truly belongs, so sorry if I have posted it in the wrong section. If so, I'd appreciate seeing it moved.)

With the last bastion of free but sadly unlicensed music going shark-belly up, I have finally found my way back to Spotify, figuring it would be the best replacement.

And while the experience in general is superb, there is one implementation that keeps me going back to Deezer instead:

When I add local files to Spotify (which is sadly needed, since I've yet to come across a single favourite artist where Spotify has even half the content of the Great Yellow Shark), they are stored locally (and synced to my mobile device). This means that in order to access these files when out and about, I have to connect my smartphone, instead of just logging into my account of Spotify's web player.

I've read a quote from a Spotify representative that this is the only legal way to store a user's personal MP3s in a music streaming service.

However, Deezer instead allows users to upload their MP3s to the Deezer servers, accessible from any device, web as well as mobile, as long as the user logs in to her account (but non-shareable and not publicly searchable, of course). And they do so without any legal issues, in full accordance with the law.

How come Spotify has chosen to go the local storage route instead? Are there any plans to implement cloud storage of private MP3 files, for convenient universal access?

(Spotify has almost won me over, but Deezer keeps tugging at my musical strings. With mostly the same features, the same subscription and free plans, and about the same number of songs, this one feature is enough to have me stick to Deezer. And yet, for some reason I canna quite explain, I want to go all Spotify 😉 )

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Spotify has said that there are currently no plans to add this.

However, you can add a kudo to the idea here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Cloud-files/idi-p/1933

If the idea gets popular enough, Spotify might change their mind. 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Mods/devs, any pertinent feedback? 🙂

Marked as solution

Spotify has said that there are currently no plans to add this.

However, you can add a kudo to the idea here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Cloud-files/idi-p/1933

If the idea gets popular enough, Spotify might change their mind. 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts