Premium

Country

Canada 

Device

Lenovo Thinkpad T440p

Operating System

Ubuntu 18.04 (installed via snap)

My Question or Issue

When I restart my computer (or otherwise log out gracefully), my queue state is reset to what it was when I last explicitly exited Spotify (i.e. pressed the X button in the top-right), which is several months old. I would like for Spotify to keep the queue state over reboots more reliably (either by writing out queue state regularly while it's running, or by handling the "exit on log out" case more gracefully).

3 Replies

Hey @Odd_Bloke, welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with this. Though we don't officially support Spotify on Linux, we'll definitely try to help out. 

Are you able to reset the state that gets saved if you explicity log out? Or does the same queue you had from a while back show up when you do that?

Also, what Spotify version are you using? Did this start happening after an app update?

Let us know how it goes.

I have this annoing issue to.

And as i use a separated workspace for spotify, almost ever i forget to close spotify (to save queue)

Spotify sadly does not play well with the regular linux ways of doing things. When you shut down your computer every running process is sent the SIGTERM signal to get them to exit gracefully. Spotify does not react to this signal and is instead killed forcefully, without doing its proper shutdown procedure (saving queue, volume and whatever else).

This was reported in the stickied troubleshooting thread around 2 years ago. And  @jooon said he would look into it but I'm not sure what became of that. It seems like it's not fixed as of yet.

But, as I seem to always be proposing in these forums, you could use xdotool and shut spotify down properly before the regular shutdown procedure starts. 🙂

Suggested posts