Premium

Country

Belgium

Device

Lenovo Legion Y520 (laptop)

Operating System

Arch Linux

My Question or Issue

I tell Spotify to download all my liked songs to a different drive (/media/<myseconddrive>/spotify/), but it downloads all my songs (about 10GB) to the default location (~/.cache/spotify/Data/) instead of the one I chose in settings. 

This used to work fine, but today I noticed my main drive had NO free space left, and I saw that ~/.cache/spotify/Data/ was 10GB in size.

The file ~/.config/spotify/prefs tells me storage.location="/media/<myseconddrive>/spotify", which is correct. 

This is a huge problem for me because my main drive is a small SSD so I need to put all my songs on my second drive.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I'm not sure how this second drive is installed, but perhaps if Spotify can't find this second drive sometimes, it uses the default location and ignores the prefs file?

This should at least stop the 'Data' directory filling your home drive.

cd ~/.cache/spotify/

mv Data /media/<seconddrive>/spotify/

ln -s /media/<seconddrive>/spotify/Data Data

In a ideal world I'd get a larger internal drive, or perhaps there are other things you can move to the second drive to make more room for Spotify cache.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

I'm not sure how this second drive is installed, but perhaps if Spotify can't find this second drive sometimes, it uses the default location and ignores the prefs file?

This should at least stop the 'Data' directory filling your home drive.

cd ~/.cache/spotify/

mv Data /media/<seconddrive>/spotify/

ln -s /media/<seconddrive>/spotify/Data Data

In a ideal world I'd get a larger internal drive, or perhaps there are other things you can move to the second drive to make more room for Spotify cache.

The second drive is always connected (and mounted at boot) to my laptop's internal SATA port. In /etc/fstab, the only option the drive has is 'default'. Type is ext4.

I tried your solution and it worked! It's now downloading the files to the second drive. Thanks!

Suggested posts