Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify for Linux: My device is not shown as available, because it has the same device id.

Spotify for Linux: My device is not shown as available, because it has the same device id.

Plan

Premium

Country

Germany

Device

Desktop-PC

Operating System

Ubuntu 18.04 and Debian 9

My Question or Issue

Dear Spotify-Devs,

I use spotify on a whole bunch of devices, i.a. two linuxboxes with spotify for linux. Playing spotify on these devices works without a problem. However, when both linuxboxes are switched on, other spotify apps (on Android or on Linux) do only see one of these linuxboxes under "available devices".

Both linuxboxes are in the same LAN. One of it runs under Debian 9, the other one under Ubuntu 18.04. A call of spotify -version shows on both devices:

Spotify version 1.1.10.546.ge08ef575, Copyright (c) 2019, Spotify Ltd

In order to find the cause of this weird phenomenon, I used the Spotify-WebAPI to show the device ids:

curl -H "Authorization: Bearer $TOKEN" https://api.spotify.com/v1/me/player/devices

When only the linuxbox called "nuckie" is switched on, I get the following output:

{
  "devices" : [ {
    "id" : "28ef616848012026f15a60596679f0dc3f576e13",
    "is_active" : false,
    "is_private_session" : false,
    "is_restricted" : false,
    "name" : "nuckie",
    "type" : "Computer",
    "volume_percent" : 73
  } ]
}

When only the other linuxbox called "blacky" is switched on, I get the following output:
{
    "id" : "28ef616848012026f15a60596679f0dc3f576e13",
    "is_active" : true,
    "name" : "blacky",
    "volume_percent" : 100
  } ]

When both devices run, the output is exactly the same; only one device is shown. Which device is shown, when both devices are switched on, seems to be determined by random.

As you can see, the device id of both devices is exactly the same. Probably, therefore, one device hides the other device when spotify runs on both devices at the same time.

Is there any possibility to change the device id?

Many thanks for the effort you put in developping the spotify linux client.

Kind regards
codica
2 Replies

Same problem here... any sign of a fix/workaround?  Happy to help if I can...

I was wondering if the ID might be hard-coded, so I've fought with the spotify API to get the same info as you. My device IDs are identical to each other but different from yours :

"id" : "0990a3c79b47dceb7cfbcb91acd29daefe5a9622",
"is_active" : false,
"name" : "lenny",
"volume_percent" : 76
}

I wonder what determines the device id? Wifi network? Not OS as yours are different (mine are both Arch). Perhaps it's related to the build? Mine is version 1.1.10.546

When I start the app on the first computer, it works perfectly. When I open it on the second, the new app squashes the first. Then, if I close either, they both (the only one showing) disappear.

Suggested posts