What license does the linux spotify client use?

What license does the linux spotify client use?

prometheanfire
Music Fan

I'm looking to package this and need this info (as-is may work, but a real license would be best).

23 Replies

Re: What license does the linux spotify client use?

Peter__
Community Legend

I'm pretty certain that Spotify is proprietry (non-free) software on all platforms. 

All information on third-party libraries included in Spotify can be found in the Help > Show Licenses window. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

prometheanfire
Music Fan

That tells me about the license of the libraries that spotify links in, but not of the spotify client in and of itself.  This is the only blocker to me adding the package to our base repo :(

Peter__
Community Legend

I would suggest you drop the Spotify team a message using the online contact form so you get an official reply.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

leamas
Community Legend

Hm... also interested in this. Could  you please report back here if/when you get an ófficial reply?

prometheanfire
Music Fan

sure, all I know is that they (nik and dan) are asking about it internally.

leamas
Community Legend

If you have a dialog with them, why not just propose "Re-distributable, no changes permitted" which I guess  might be a reasonable option given the circumstances. Note that I (and perhaps also  you)  need to repackage things, without changing any binary.

leamas
Community Legend

It's strange there's no answer to this. Trying to analyze the situation there are two questions: if the client is redistributable and if it can be repacked.

After a quick search I can't find any limitations on distribution for the linux nor the windows client. Also, windows clients are redistributed from other download servers than Spotify's. Together with the obvious "risk" of redistribution when creating a .deb package without such licensing restrictions it makes me feel that the package could be considered redistributable.

Also, I can't find any restrictions on repacking. The license conditions are designed to stop tinkering with the code, authentication etc. However, repacking is nothing of this.

Another aspect is that Spotify has an interest in distributing the client. If it hits major Linux repos, it will attract more Spotify users, both paying and free. So it shouldn't really be a problem.

Bottom line: without any other info from Spotify I'll assume the terms are "Re-distributable, no modifications permitted", with an exception that repacking the .deb archive is allowed.

Rpmfusion review request: https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2565

prometheanfire
Music Fan

This is what I did for gentoo.

Here is the licence I used.

http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/licenses/Spotify?revision=1.1&view=markup

And here is the ebuild I used.

http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/media-sound/spotify/

Note that I have RESTRICT="mirror" there.

http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/mirrors/index.html#restricting-automatic-mirroring

I think this is the most compliant with spotify and safest to use.

leamas
Community Legend

For better or worse, RPM does not have this flexibility. My two options is either a spec like the  one I have submitted, presuming the package is re-distributable. Or  to create a package like download-build-spotify which downloads the binaries and builds the rpms on behalf o fthe user. However, this is not as nice from a user perspective.

So, I'll still presume that the package is re-distributable. Doing this openly here should avoid any conflicts, I'll just retire the package if/when  Spotify clarifies that this is not the case.

If they are irritated anyway, I might talk to them gently in Swedish - that should solve any possible problem ;)

That said, this is a very strange situation. Why doesn't Spotify clarify the terms of use? One might guess the issue has get stuck in their legal dept...

SUGGESTED POSTS