Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Bring back clicking on album art to jump to where the song is playing from (desktop)

Bring back clicking on album art to jump to where the song is playing from (desktop)

Normally, clicking on the album art should direct you to the song since version 1.0.5.
If that does NOT work for you: Start a playlist and post the following information so we can check it out further:

1. OS (Mac, Windows)
  2. Spotify Version (Menu => Help => About Spotify)
  3. Hardware Acceleration enabled in settings (yes/no)
  4. What happens when you click the bottom left album art?

UPDATE:

With the new 1.0.5 update this should work again.

Original text:

Before today's 1.0.1.1060.gc75ebdfd update, you could click on the album art to go to where the song is playing.

For example, if I'm playing "Pirate Hooker" by Zomboy, it would jump to the playlist, and scroll down to the current song and highlight it.

If I would like to play more songs from Zomboy, that I have in the same playlist, I could sort the playlist by artist, and then click on the album art in order til get to those songs. In the new update, you have to scroll manually to the songs. I have a single playlist with all the music that I like (almost 3000 songs atm), and when I use the scroll bar, the list just 1-2 screens in one pixel.

In the new update, all clicking on the album art does is going to the playlist, radio station search query. It does not scroll to where the item is.

I really don't like what you are doing with the desktop client. First, you increase the distance between lines, making it harder to browser long lists, then you **bleep** up the activity feed and remove apps, and now this? And also you are making buttons bigger, allthewhile making text (especially timestamps) smaller. I believe you should listen to this community, and not just put all ideas on "Not right now". A very small fraction of your user base actually gets here to make suggestions and/or complain, but that does not mean there are others who share their opinion. Although the client looks much better that it has ever done, with its "modern" UI elements and design language, it does not matter at all to me if the funcionality is worse than in the elder versions of the client. You have to go back, in order to go forward.

Thanks,

Truls Bekk

101 Replies

This really is just a huge pile of bs. I just checked, and on my computer cover art cliking works in "Songs", and not in "Starred", where i have my starred music and local files. Which is huge pile of steaming **bleep**, because you cant put your local files to "Songs". I have no idea how Spotify as a company can **bleep** up a software that worked fine 1,5 years ago this much.

I still have no idea what "Songs" is supposed to be. I have not even one single file in there. I have always just starred a song and it has gone under my Starred playlist. Actually, that entire "Your Music" section on the left side of the Spotify window is useless and a waste of space.

I agree with you. I emailed Spotify directly yesterday. Their "support" staff replied with a stock reply telling me to submit my idea in the forums....even though I just got done telling her that I had already done so, as had dozens of folks like yourself, all wanting these obviously needed features finally added.

Unfortunately, I don't see a way around this. Apple's streaming service is now available, though that company ignores it's user requests as well. It sure would be nice if these larger companies actually listened to their user base. It makes no sense. 

@Rarelink...I agree. The "songs" addition a year or so ago is a horrible change. It was much better before when the user could actually see what songs from an artist, had already been saved (via the green star). Now there is no way to even tell if a song has been saved yet, without actually adding a song and having it tell you it's already been added. It's as if they took a good thing and completely f#cked it up in terms of userfriendliness. These people are fools who apparently don't even use their own product or don't care what their paying users think. These ignored forum threads and repeated attempts to contact Spotify directly are proof of that. 

I have tried Apple Music and honestly, it is **bleep**ing terrible. It lives within the iTunes application and it's hard to tell the difference between purchasing a song and adding a song to your "Apple Music" environment. I don't get it and I'm a pretty savvy user (and I also work in the UI / UX industry). It's early, but it seems to be a massive fail on Apple's part.

I wish there was an option to AUTOMATICALLY follow the current song being played.  Thinking of Winamp here..

Yeah it doesn't really work most of the time since forever... It seems totally random whether clicking on the cover art takes you to the playlist playing, a playlist not playing (containing the song / not containing the song), play queue, play history, or nowhere at  all.

When it takes you somewhere, it might

• point you to the song currently playing, but not highlight it
  • just take you to the beginning of the playlist
  • point you to a highlighted song that is not the one playing

Can we please have this fixed?

@Ramla  They don't give a darn about what paying customers think. I've contacted Spotify support directly with this very complaint and they reply with generic stock answers. They've been saying for years that they'd "let the developers know immediately"...but of course here we are and still no fix. A perfect example of "too big to care". What they don't realize is that pissed off and ignored customers stop recommending products and jump ship when a better alternative is available. 

When is this going to be solved. Been nearly a year and still nothing. Why remove a great feature? Please re-add as it is very useful. I don't see any one complaining about it when it was available, so why remove. It's easier to scroll to the top song, if that's where u want to be. But scrolling for a song currently playing is much harder..... Wake up Spotify. Listen to users

Miller...they don't give a darn. I've contacted Spotify directly, I've commented on their social media accounts and I've created messages here in the forums. They only lie and say they'll add the feature in the next update, or they've passed the mention on to their developers. They've been saying the same crap for years.

What's even worse, they don't even respond with a logical reason as to why this obviously needed feature has yet to be implemented. Instead, it's always some canned response. It's mind boggling that the Spotify team/staff don't have the same need for this feature and many other needed features. Do they not even use their own product? J

ust another example of how companies don't give a **bleep** about their paying customers. Hundreds of folks with this same request and they continue to fall on deaf ears. What a shame. I use to recommend Spotify to others...no longer. 

Hey guys.

Normally, clicking on the album art should direct you to the song since version 1.0.5.
If that does NOT work for you: Start a playlist and post the following information so we can check it out further:

1. OS (Mac, Windows)

Marco... Thank you for your response. I will have a look, but the last time I check it did not work. What about this functionality from Android, as that had disappeared aswell.

@miller10810 wrote:
Marco... Thank you for your response. I will have a look, but the last time I check it did not work. What about this functionality from Android, as that had disappeared aswell.

As far as I know, this has never been a feature on mobile devices. If so, then I've completely missed it!
However there's an idea for it, if you want to add your kudos here. 😉

Holy crap....finally!!!! It does actually work. Years of waiting and hundreds of requests and Spotify finally listened. About time. Thank you. Now I can finally delete songs from a playlist without having to scroll through thousands of songs. 

FWIW - Working ok for me on version 1.0.16.104.g3b776c9e, OSX 10.9.5

@needforname wrote:

Holy crap....finally!!!! It does actually work. Years of waiting and hundreds of requests and Spotify finally listened. About time. Thank you. Now I can finally delete songs from a playlist without having to scroll through thousands of songs. 

@billyt555 wrote:

FWIW - Working ok for me on version 1.0.16.104.g3b776c9e, OSX 10.9.5

Glad it's finally working for you guys! 🙂

If anyone still got trouble with that, please use the template posted above so we can investigate the issue.
Thanks!

Works for me. Much more useful. Thank you. Just need to sort the Android functionality as hardly use my PC Spotify, always operate on my spare Android. 

Broken again on windows version 1.0.18

Still not working in the last few updates..

1. OS (Mac, Windows)
    Windows 10 (version 1511 - build 10586.29)

Yes (problem persists when turning it off!)

Nothing. It used to take me to the exact location (that means it automatically scolls down to the exact location within the playlist) in my complete songs collection (5000+ songs) but appearantly now i have to scroll through all of them to find more info about the song that is currently playing.
Mostly harmless

• OS (Mac, Windows)
    Mac, Yosemite, 10.10.3

• Spotify Version (Menu => Help => About Spotify)
    1.0.20.101.ge6957e14

• Hardware Acceleration enabled in settings (yes/no)
    Option does not seem to be available. If it is, I haven't changed it from the default value.

• What happens when you click the bottom left album art?
    If the currently active playlist is open, nothing happens.
    If the currently active playlist is not open, that playlist is opened, on whatever view it was last shown. 

Suggested posts