Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local files not showing up in library, can't add new files to playlists

Local files not showing up in library, can't add new files to playlists

Am using desktop client on OSX 10.10.1, spotify build 1.0.4.90.g0b6df40b Have attempted a clean installs (including a full clean of supporting hidden files). This seems to have been an issue from 2-3 weeks ago when spotify updated itself. 

My local files no longer show up at all. I thought the software may not be able to handle the sheer size of the local library – it thinks theres 12000 tracks, something that is not actually the case? So then I turned off all the folders and grabbed just the actual stuff I listen to. Still didn't help. Local files will play if they are in a playlist, but can't actually see them here in the main view. 

More importantly I simply can't add any local files AT ALL to playlists. Usually I do this by dragging them from finder straight in, however nothing happens, the interface doesn't usually respond in the way it usually would eg. a line coming up to show where I'm inserting from.

This is a major issue! I have a premium account and this is specifcally one of the few ways I can manage the music I specifically buy as I have an android phone and can't use itunes.

Screen Shot 2015-05-12 at 10.34.10 pm.png

12 Replies

Welcome to the Community! have you tried removing the Cache and letting re load?

Hello,

I have experienced the same problem (on the Windows desktop client) and there is no obvious work around.  I have contacted Spotify customer service about it and they admit that "this feature is not currently available."  I don't know if this means that they screwed up coding it when they 'updated' their code, or if they intentionally got rid of the feature.  

If you had a smaller library, you could try re-importing your tracks; when I do this it fails after about 3000 tracks.  Spotify never gives any timelines for their updates, and you have to be tenacious to get an apology out of them when they mess up their core software functionality (this is not my first experience with a local files issue).  Sorry that there is not better news on this front.  

Jeff

FYI: here is my previous post on this issue.

Re: None of my local files show up
I contacted Spotify support. Here is their response:

"We are sorry that you are not happy with the latest update of the app.

We’re working on improving the way local files are synced to mobile devices from the desktop app. This option right now is not available. It should be back in the next actualization. However, we can’t say now if or when any specific release will be out, but as soon as we've got something to announce, we'll let everyone know on the Spotify blog."

Jeff

I still have the same problem... since I got the version 1.0.4.xxx of the client.

Can't add new local files...

This is a big problem for me and as I searched more in the forum here I'm not the only one.

Please put this feature back!

So an update to the client seems to have fixed my local files showing up (yay!) but still can't drag files into playlists..

Hello,

I still cannot make new playlists, and only about 30% of my music loads into the local files list.  I can play the ones that appear though, but I hardly call this a victory for the programmers at Spotify.  I have contacted Spotify since 1.0.5.186 arrived and they admit that they did not fix this issue (I have quoted the message from them below). 

"We'd love to get this feature working for you however we're afraid it's still not available. We understand that you've been trying for some time to get it to work as it has before and the last thing we'd want to do is to provide sub-optimal service to you. Rest assured, we're doing our best to get this back up as soon as possible.

As soon as we have anything to announce, we'll let everyone know via the Spotify blog, so keep an eye out."

I, personally, have lost faith that they are working on this issue at all; they have given me no real indication that they have progressed towards a solution.  If their "best" really is two months without this core advertised functionality, I think I will look elsewhere for my streaming and music organization needs.  Who knows what they will get rid of next (the ability to make playlists or stream music, perhaps).

All the best,

Jeff

Hey @tokidokioki and everyone else

This is a known issue in the desktop app that should be fixed in a future update.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Did this feature (the ability to recognize and display local music files) ever get fixed?
it's been a few months since this thread, yet i have the exact same problem.

I assume it's a function of the size/# of the local files. 

This is key functionality for those of us with blended content environments (stream + local/own content).
For those of us trying to figure out a migration strategy from a wholly locally owned/stored media --> distributed/stream media.
Without a seemless way to migrate between the two media models, it will be hard to adopt spotify as the preferred source and 
player of the future.  

keep in mind that those of us w/ large localized media collections have typicaly been the early adopters and advocates of every prior media software/tech trend.... it would be a shame to discourage those savy media/software consumers.

thx in advance,

Admittedly, I have not been using Spotify since they last contacted me and told me that they took this 'feature' out of their software, but as far as I can tell they have not put it back into their software. They typically email me when they put back a feature that used to be in their software, and this hasn't happened. I would assume that it still doesn't work. Good luck.

Jeff

As it stands, files added to a directory do show up now, but the ability to simply drag files into a playlist or spotify itself is still missing. 

This is a simple interaction, but also a standard way that OSX works in general. Frustrating because you can't insert them from local files into a particular place – they go to the bottom then have to be manually put in. 

In the grand scheme, I'm sure it represents a small subset of users. I can't but help feel like these kinds of omissions are designed to push you more to rely heavily on streamed files (and therefore spotify). 

Has this been fixed yet. If not I think I'll be switching to another streaming music service. This was the main reason I started to use spotify any way

Here it is 2016 and its still doesn't work the great. I can't remember the last version where it worked right. It used to. If I could just find that version I would re install that version dang it.

Suggested posts