Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mac App] Play/Pause keyboard button not working

[Mac App] Play/Pause keyboard button not working

Today's morning I noticed that right after installing the latest update:
Spotify for macOS (Apple Silicon)
1.2.10.760.g52970952
The Play/Pause button stopped from working, which is somewhat annoying.
17 Replies

Me pasa igual, es super molesto porque estoy acostumbrado a manejar mi musica desde ahi.
Probe en otros dispositivos que no son Apple y si funciona. Pense que era el teclado Bluetooth y tambien funciona en otros dispositivos. Ayuda por favor 
Spotify for macOS (Apple Silicon)
1.2.10.760.g52970952 

Hey folks, 

Thanks for getting in touch about this here in the Community. 

Would you mind checking if the same happens in the web player?

First up, we suggest that you try logging out and then logging back in to your account twice in a row. This will trigger a sync between your account and PC. 

If this doesn't do the trick, it's well worth running a clean reinstall to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble. 

We'll be waiting for your replies. 

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi, Im experiencing the very same issue. The web player play/pause doesnt work either, nor completely deleting Spotify app from my Mac incl. deleting the cache too. Funny thing is that previous/next buttons work. So I guess thats a bugged version.

Mac Monterey 12.6, Spotify version 1.2.10.760.g52970952

Hey @vb14,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

This sounds a bit odd and we'll do our best to help you out here. 

We'd recommend that you test this with another account as this will help us understand if it's account related or not. If a family member has a Spotify account, it could be a good idea to ask them to log in on your device to see if the app behaves the same way. 

In case it does, we'd like you to send us a screen recording of the issue. This way we can have a closer look. You can attach it to your next response by using the Insert Video option in the post editor. If the attachment is too big - we'd suggest uploading it to Google Drive and share the link with us (make sure the video has the permissions for anyone to see it). 

We'll be on the lookout for your response. 

LyubkaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hi Lyubka,

eventually it got resolved by reseting SMC on my Macbook.

Cheers

Hey @vb14,

Thanks for your reply.

We really appreciate you keeping us posted about this inconvenience. We’re happy to know you could sort this out. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need us again.

We'll be here if anything else comes up.

AlejaRModerator

Tried all of it. Doesn't work.  =(  the spacebar works while the app is open. But the play/pause button wont work neither in the app nor when in another window.

Actually, my solution worked for like a day 😞  The same problem is with Apple music or music app or any other music/video player, so I guess its Apples SW issue. Whats your Mac OS version? Im on Monterey

Hello Eni, 

Unfortunately both actions didn't work. 

Play button is not working even when you are using Spotify App (on the Mac).

Btw, using MacBook Pro M2 (Ventura 13.4.1)

Thanks!

I have tried the clean reinstall and it solved the issue temporarily. As other said, the back and forward media buttons always work.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your replies.

@jcrivera90, @OhViajero, @rhyek, can you please check if the same happens with other media apps as @vb14 pointed out above? 

Keep us posted.

MihailYModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi @MihailY yes for me worked on Youtube.. didn't tested with other player.. 

Hi @OhViajero,

Thanks for the reply. We've noticed that if there are any other music/media apps open, they may take priority over Spotify and this is why the media keys don't work. Try force closing any open media apps, even ones just in the background, and see if that makes a difference.

Let us know how it goes.

JoanModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thank you JF45, that MacMediaKeyForwarder worked like a charm. One just has just have to give it permissions and off one goes. Took less than a minute.

i have the exact same issue only a restart on my mac fixes it but then sooner or later its bugged.

@Joan wrote:

Hi @OhViajero,

Thanks for the reply. We've noticed that if there are any other music/media apps open, they may take priority over Spotify and this is why the media keys don't work. Try force closing any open media apps, even ones just in the background, and see if that makes a difference.

Let us know how it goes.

Yes. This problem still occurs and this was the reason. Youtube was open in chrome at background, didnt play anything though. But when I minimized that window media controls started working in spotify. 

Macos: Ventura 13.6.1

Spotify: Spotify – macOS (Intel) 1.2.22.982.g794acc0a

In case this helps anyone in the future, check your menubar and see if you have the media shortcut and if anything is currently playing. For me it was Chrome causing the issue with Twitch and YouTube. I fixed the issue by disabling the media hardware keys https://tommcfarlin.com/fix-spotify-play-pause-buttons-on-macos/#:~:text=First%2C%20navigate%20to%20....

Suggested posts