Lineup Signup
Hi! We're just rearranging some Desktop boards to make it easier to find what you're looking for. Please bear with us, and we'll be done very soon.
To post a new question or issue, please go here: Desktop (Windows), Desktop (Mac), Desktop (Linux), Web Player.

Offline (error code 4)

Solved!
2 people liked this

Offline (error code 4)

Music Fan
‎2015-04-23 09:32 PM

Everytime I launch the Spotify app, eventually it will give me an error code 4, and nothing will be playable. I have a working internet connection (everything works on my browser). Only when I go to relaunch the app, will it get out of the offline mode. It never used to do this. Any ideas as to how to fix the issue? It does the same thing on the release version as well as the latest beta version.

Monosnap 2015-04-23 13-26-14.png

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
17 people liked this

Re: Offline (error code 4)

Casual Listener
‎2015-12-11 06:15 AM

I've had this same issue on two different networks, but I was able to fix it. For me, Spotify wasn't resolving through the DNS, so switching from your ISP's to Google DNS or OpenDNS fixed the problem for me.

For Windows:

1. Right click on your network in the bottom right corner and click "Open Network and Sharing Center
  2. Under "Connections", click on your primary connection (either Wi-Fi or Ethernet)
  3. In the bottom-left of the popup window click on "Properties", then double-click on "Internet Protocol Version 4"
  4. Select the circle 'Use the following DNS server addresses"
  5. Input these numbers in the boxes
    Preferred DNS server: 8.8.8.8
    Alternate DNS server: 8.8.4.4
  6. Press "Ok" to confirm

For Mac:

• Click Apple > System Preferences > Network.
  • If the lock icon in the lower left-hand corner of the window is locked, click the icon to make changes, and when prompted to authenticate, enter your password.
  • Select the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS. For example:
    • To change the settings for an Ethernet connection, select Built-In Ethernet, and click Advanced.
    • To change the settings for a wireless connection, select Airport, and click Advanced.
  • Select the DNS tab.
  • Click + to replace any listed addresses with, or add, the Google IP addresses at the top of the list:
    • For IPv4: 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4.
  • Click Apply > OK

25 people liked this

‎2016-05-17 01:41 PM

This worked for me :)

It is a pretty annoying fix though, so I kept searching and found a different solution:

Go to Settings > Advanced Settings > Proxy

Change from "Auto Detect" to "HTTP".  You don't need to fill out the Host/Port/Username/Password fields.

Click "Update Proxy".

This worked for me (I'm using a corporate computer on a corporate network), but others in the other forum didn't see any success...

Edited
Casual Listener
‎2016-07-26 07:58 PM

General compatibility error with NOD32 anti-viruses. If you uninstall NOD32, you will have no issues at all. Solved my struggling of 3 months. shame, so easy yet annoying. (sadly its not enough if you add spotify to the exception list of nod32)

100 Replies
1 person liked this

Rock Star
‎2015-04-23 10:00 PM

Hello there,

If you log out and back in when this happens, does the desktop loads normally or the same problem still occurs ?

If the problem persists you can try a full reinstall. You can download the last version here :

Mac: http://download.spotify.com/SpotifyInstaller.zip
PC: http://download.spotify.com/SpotifySetup.exe

1 person liked this

Regular
‎2015-04-23 11:20 PM
Having the same problem
5 people liked this

Music Fan
‎2015-04-24 06:30 PM

This happened on an older computer of mine. I performed a fresh install on a new computer and the error is still persistent.

1 person liked this

Music Fan
‎2015-04-27 07:15 PM

Any solutions to this problem?

1 person liked this

‎2015-04-30 03:51 PM

Hey. I was having the same problem for a week hoping it would fix itself. Mine kept mentioning that my firewall may be blocking it, or I could set up a proxy server for it. I ended up having to "approve/allow" spotify through my administrator (this is all on my work computer) I believe my IT guy approved it through the McAfee Security Scan program. I'm not sure if this makes any sense... sorry!! Just make sure your computer isn't blocking spotify! Mine is working now so I hope yours will too! Best of luck. 

Music Fan
‎2015-05-01 12:10 AM

The thing is, I don't have trouble accessing it (I know it's not blocked), it will just erratically say I'm offline. It works fine when I restart the app. So it seems like a glitch in the software logic where it is checking if there is an internet connection.

Music Fan
‎2015-05-17 11:21 PM

Still having issues with this! 

‎2015-06-01 10:23 AM

Yep me too. Stil have the error code 4 after the last updates. Nothing changed in my network. Seems to be a problem with the proxy or something like that.

8 people liked this

Regular
‎2015-06-11 09:10 AM

Got the same issue since I started to use Spotify. Relaunching five or six times, or re-installing the app, or upgraing the version, or logging out and logging in again does not solve the issue. And it is not the firewall, stop blaming the firewall for everything.

Gonna cancel the service and move to google play music (moved to spotify from google play music six months ago).  No music provider is satisfying...

SUGGESTED POSTS