Premium

Country

Czech Republic

Device

Macbook Pro 2020 M1 (Apple Silicon)

Operating System

MacOS 11.1 Big Sur

My Question or Issue

Can't open links in Desktop app. They always open in web player in Safari; when I manually click on "Open in Desktop app", I get a screen saying to download it although I have it installed and have tried a clean reinstall (with deleting Cache etc.) Web player opens even from "Opening in Spotify..." page in Safari and clicking on Allow (page to open Spotify). Same in Chrome. Extremely frustrating, please fix this soon. Can't basically open anything from a link in desktop.

klscho_0-1609424329316.png

2 Replies

Hey there @klscho,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community and welcome!

Thanks for trying a clean reinstall first - that usually helps fix most common issues. Just to confirm, did you make sure to follow these specific steps?

If you did and the issue persists, could you try using a different connection, such as another WiFi network or a mobile hotspot, and let us know if that makes any difference?

Also, try copying and pasting the link directly in the desktop app's search bar and let us know if that works.

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Hi, thanks for the reply.
Yes, that is actually the exact thread and steps I followed to perform the clean reinstall.
I did try to switch to a personal hotspot from my iPhone (despite from what I know about networking, software development and OSes–I'm a dev:D–I have no idea how this could possibly help:D), but the problem persists.
Pasting the link to the app works. At least something, but would be nice if I hadn't do it that way and at least Open in Desktop app option in context menu worked.

Btw, talked about it with Twitter support at @spotifycares, too, and I was told this is an expected behaviour currently. I can get opening a link in a browser, but not how clicking Open in desktop app doesn't do opening in desktop app is an expected behaviour. More so if in Windows it does exactly that and it normally works.

Thanks for any help, this really disappointed me after switching to Mac 😄 🙂

Suggested posts