Shuffle repeats songs too often

Shuffle repeats songs too often

bORNAgn
Regular

I've found that when I shuffle my playlists, I have heard a single track play twice within 30 minutes...even though my playlists are many hours long! Has anyone else found this to be annoying? And have you found a way to improve the shuffling through Spotify?

432 Replies

Re: Shuffle repeats songs too often

ksbigler
Casual Listener

I have absolutely noticed this and I agree it's frustrating.  I have a playlist with over 1100 songs and I hear a handful of songs over and over while a number of songs never get played.  I have looked for a way to increase the variability, but have not found anything.  It would be great if Spotify shuffle worked more like iTunes where the songs are played in random order, but no songs are repeated until all songs in the playlist were played.

bORNAgn
Regular

Yeah, I do prefer the functionality of shuffle on iTunes. Spotify has a toggle for Repeat/No-repeat for playlists, but it seems not to work quite right when Shuffle is toggled.

George
Roadie

If your playlist is several hours long, could you not try shuffling with the repeat function disabled?? That way each song will only be played once in that session. Then when it finally stops playing (several hours later) you could just hit play on the playlist again...

It's not ideal, but does that improve your situation?

--
First was the record, then the cassette, the CD, then came along Spotify... that really did change everything!

ksbigler
Casual Listener
I'm pretty sure that is how I have it set up right now. As the OP mentioned above, I'm not sure that the repeat/no repeat works effectively when Spotify is in shuffle mode. However, maybe I'm wrong, so I will double check my settings and even try a couple of experiments using smaller playlists to see if disabling the repeat really does work. I'll post my results.

nerus
I have come to the same conclusion. It is most definetely broken.

Experiment

bORNAgn
Regular

Yes, please do post your results on whether the Repeat option works when Shuffle is on!

FFrrEEddRRiiKK

I agree. My list has over 1000 songs, and some definitely seem to be repeated over and over, between shorter time periods. smileymad:

Legomywaco

Yeah, we've noticed this too. We have a community playlist setup at my work and it just plays the same 20 or so songs over and over, even though we have 800 in our playlist. Some songs have never played once, while others come up every half hour - all day.

One thing I figured out with Shuffle is that when a song plays from a playlist it goes back into the hat (so to speak) and Spotify reaches its hand back in and pulls out another song. It  can grab the same songs over and over, even if 'Repeat' is OFF.

'Repeat' means repeat the entire Playlist, not the songs. So with Repeat ON, your playlist should play every song ONCE, and then repeat the entire playlist again when it's cycled through all the songs.

So having Repeat ON is actually a better choice if you want more variety and less repetition. It's counter-intuitive.

However! You'll notice in the 'Play Queue' that there can only be so many songs in the queue, SO despite my theory when songs are exiting the queue at the bottom they are up for grabs again, and they will infact repeat, just not as often.

So the bottom line is - Shuffle doesn't really work too great. And you should only have small playlists with just a few songs in each - which is annoying and not much fun.

But Spotify is great otherwise.

lamusique15

YES! Every single time I use shuffle on spotify for several hours, or really even during a short period too, I hear SO MANY of the same songs, eventhough I have a ton of music. I think it is safe to say that the same few songs play so often, that there are MANY MANY songs that I never even get to here unless I manually play them individually. My only way to somewhat get a better mix of songs is I sometimes just change my music to be sorted by track title, so it sorts out alphabetically, and then I get a way better mix of music, although the annoying part of this, is when I may have multiple version of the same song, and then that same song will play multiple times. I have tried going in to delete all multiples of songs, but sometimes I have recorded versions, and live versions of a song that I want to listen to both, but not necessarily at the same time. Basically, I just think it is really weird that the shuffle mode on Spotify is  just so bad because it can't be too hard or difficult to make it a real "shuffle" mode. I don't understand why shuffle would do anything but randomly play ALL of your music like it does in iTunes...I don't know it just seems obvious, but anyways... I still really love Spotify, but the shuffle thing is just really annoying, and it would be really awesome if they could fix it!

SUGGESTED POSTS