Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Color

Solved!

Spotify Color

Spotify was upgraded and has turned black. It is very difficult to see now. How can I change it back or select a different color scheme?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Downgrade if you can. The new app is a disaster.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

@Merik wrote:

developers are looking into this.

Why is it taking them so long to do what is so obvious to everyone else: an option to switch back to the previous colour scheme or a selection of colour schemes?

Have they been blinded by looking at the current black screen too long and can't see properly anymore? 😉

Marked as solution

Actually, my solution was to cancel my subscription. Goodbye Spotify.

Marked as solution

More than 2 years later, the color is still horribly black, things are merely unreadable, and there's still no option to switch color theme on Windows 😞 That's unbelievable !!!

I had a promotional offer $9.99 for 3 months. But I won't renew.

I can't accept applications, and people, who try to force things. I am the user. I choose how my user interface must be. I hate applications that do not respect target operating system look and feel. See you again in two years 😞

26 Replies

There is no way to change the color scheme back to it's original. This is part of a new version of spotify and there is no way to downgrade spotify to a lower version.

BTW, I can easily read all text at the spotify client. Maybe you could change your monitor settings to make it more brighter?

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Last.fm | Twitter

Backstage Intro - Meet Jordi!
What's it like to be in a Spotify Office?

Did I help? Please add a like!
Did I solve your issue? Please accept as the solution!

As the user above stated, you cannot change it back. Although, your feedback is greatly appreciated and developers are looking into this. Other users have been suggesting to downgrade, but we recommend you do not do that.

If your case is resolved, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button and add your kudos!

Marked as solution

Downgrade if you can. The new app is a disaster.
Marked as solution

@Merik wrote:

Why is it taking them so long to do what is so obvious to everyone else: an option to switch back to the previous colour scheme or a selection of colour schemes?

Have they been blinded by looking at the current black screen too long and can't see properly anymore? 😉

@passingbat wrote:

@Merik wrote:

Good question. I can't give an exact and official answer. All I know is that Spotify does appreciate your feedback!

If not already suggested in the idea exchange, you can suggest the option there! 🙂

If your case is resolved, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button and add your kudos!

I agree can't see the screen.

Marked as solution

Actually, my solution was to cancel my subscription. Goodbye Spotify.

I've just started using Spotify and this was the first question I googled after 10 mins of use!!!!   I can't see the scroll bar in the black screen and I def can't see the scroll bar arrows top and bottom of page.  Nothing to do with my brightness, I move my laptop screen back and forwards, still hardly a diff.  I don't know if I can be bothered with it if this is the norm., Shame really.

Marked as solution

More than 2 years later, the color is still horribly black, things are merely unreadable, and there's still no option to switch color theme on Windows 😞 That's unbelievable !!!

I had a promotional offer $9.99 for 3 months. But I won't renew.

I can't accept applications, and people, who try to force things. I am the user. I choose how my user interface must be. I hate applications that do not respect target operating system look and feel. See you again in two years 😞

I can't believe that after 3 years this has not been addressed by the developers!

I use mine on my PC and even MS office has alternative skin colours, albeit two of them are diabolical!

It is so daft and such an easy fix!

I am at the verge of dumping spotify and am in agreement with anatacj...

Please change the theme or at least give the option to switch it to something a bit lighter! I realize that I've been using Apple's service instead of Spotify primarily because of how easy it is to see/use. Spotify is better in my opinion, but it's SOOOOO dark that I prefer Apple Music.

It's silly how companies like Spotify, Apple, and so many others make the simplest things so difficult. We are really not asking for much by asking for a color scheme that lets us see more clearly. Apparently Spotify is not concerned about the visually impaired. Since Spotify hasn't responded, my only solution on the Mac platform is to use option+command+F5 which brings up the accessibility preference. I then click invert colors so I can read the Spotify page. I then click back. It's a pain, but until Spotify allows this simple change, it's all I got.

I have been using Spotify since 2010. I quit last year because they got rid of my Spotify Unlimited. Back then I was still using the old grey client, which was a triumph of user interface. However, that old client no longer works.

I recently rejoined Premium with a three month trial... but I will be quitting again. The current desktop client interface is incredibly badly designed. I get a headache just trying to use it. I will be quitting again. They should stop trying to look cool and instead design a client that actually has the end-user experience in mind...

Hey people at Spotify, give us some colors, its gonna be enought dark colors after we die.

Please can someone buy them a copy of "The Design of Everyday Things" or "UI for Dummies".

I think it's some kind of experiment to see how bad a UI you can get away with before your customers leave.

Your "By the way" statement is similar to giving the customer the middle finger. Why not try and see if there is an issue. I stumbled across your statement, because I am amoung many customers complaining about the black back ground. It is very difficult to see the text on top of a black background when you are outside or in well lite rooms.

_\ ! |/

You made this statement in 2014. It's now 2017, what's the status from the developers? Kudos would not be givin to your solution. 

To bad you dont have an option that makes Windows 10 color cheme be applyed to Spotify.

Spotify team are slacking..

This is quite ridiculous and not worthy of a professional company. I use Spotify on a daily basis and every single time I get annoyed by how it looks. Maybe it's my eye-sight but the GUI just irritates and is incredibly user unfriendly. For me in general the whole GUI feels unintuitive and cumbersome but that's all forgiven if I can SEE what I need to click. And it's not because of faulty calibration of my devices/monitors or anything (laptop, 2 x mobile, TV and 3 different monitors) but because Spotify chooses to go for dark.... Dark, dark and even darker. 

I wish Spotify would at least just give the users an option for..., "Less Dark" or something. 

Suggested posts